Bent threaded fork - possible to replace with threadless headset & fork?

bryanska

Guest
My threaded cro-mo fork is in the shop, hoping to get bent back into
shape. I'll find out tomorrow if I need a new fork.

It's off a 2003 Fuji Touring.

If I have to replace it, can I swap in a threadless fork, and install
a new threadless headset & stem?

I have a 1-inch stem right now, but that's all I know re: sizing. Does
the sizing of threadless road forks rule this option out?

Background: the Fuji Touring fork has eyelets for racks & fenders, and
is drilled for low-rider racks. The LBS may be able to order a
different-color fork from the current year, but I need to know if
there are other options. Currently I am locked to a replacement
FujiTouring fork. Tange & Surly make the closest replacements but
they're threadless...

bryanska <[email protected]> wrote:
> My threaded cro-mo fork is in the shop, hoping to get bent back into
> shape. I'll find out tomorrow if I need a new fork.
>
> It's off a 2003 Fuji Touring.
>
> If I have to replace it, can I swap in a threadless fork, and install
> a new threadless headset & stem?

Yes you can.

> I have a 1-inch stem right now, but that's all I know re: sizing. Does
> the sizing of threadless road forks rule this option out?

Nope.

> Background: the Fuji Touring fork has eyelets for racks & fenders, and
> is drilled for low-rider racks. The LBS may be able to order a
> different-color fork from the current year, but I need to know if
> there are other options. Currently I am locked to a replacement
> FujiTouring fork. Tange & Surly make the closest replacements but
> they're threadless...

Nope, Tange makes threaded 1" 700c forks:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FK2480
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FK2481

Of course, I'm assuming you don't have Canti brakes on the Fuji - which
is probably erroneous.

In which case, you need one of these:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FK2470
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FK2471
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FK2472
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FK2473

Either way, it's about $40 + shipping.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Q: How many Zen masters does it take to screw in a light bulb?