bents for peace

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rich Westerman, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. just saw a clip of the peace demonstrations in London and a bent was in the march. it was a lwb and
    looked to be ridden by a girl/woman and had large wings attached to a frame over the seat. on the
    wings it said PEACE CYCLE

    break into small groups and discuss

    rich

    Tags:

  2. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > just saw a clip of the peace demonstrations in London and a bent was in
    the
    > march. it was a lwb and looked to be ridden by a girl/woman and had large wings attached to a
    > frame over the seat. on the wings it said PEACE CYCLE
    >
    > break into small groups and discuss
    >
    > rich

    My wife and kids were laughing in the family room as I came in with the dog this evening. Turns out
    they had just seen the same thing.I beliver the comment that set them off was somehting to the
    affect of "there's Dad!" . All are claiming innocence.

    Tom Thompson

  3. Lr

    Lr Guest

    Yeh, and where's a bulldozer when you need it.....

  4. "LR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Yeh, and where's a bulldozer when you need it.....

    LOL!!! Being a victim of a 2 college county and seeing that BIKES NOT BOMBS and BOOKS NOT BOMBS
    stupity saddens and emarasses me to pedal anywhere nearby. Sadly all the good minds are
    protecting us and we get wet behind the ears screwballs in our country; dividing it. Divided we
    fall, or so I heard.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Christopher Jordan wrote:

    > Divided we fall, or so I heard.

    "Divided we stand, united we fall." - Mr. Domino

  6. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > Sadly all the good minds are protecting us and we get wet behind the ears screwballs in our
    > country; dividing it. Divided we fall, or so I heard.

    Well, Mr Jordan...

    1) I am not a screwball.

    2) I don't trust this republican administration one whit, even though I voted for the guy. I have
    since joined the reform party because I can't bear the democrats either. Lie cheat and steal,
    both of them.

    3) I have a good mind, and yes, I AM protecting our country by having differing views than you, but
    perhaps not from something you would consider a danger.

    4) I am not wet behind the ears. I have faced hardship and grave personal danger protecting our
    country, but find that some of the most important battles are fought here in the USA. While I am
    professionally involved (and on-call right now) in the anti-terrorist fight, this isn't what I
    was refering to. Please look up the definition of fascism.

    5) "Divergent opinions dividing an otherwise whole country" doesn't describe our situation. We were
    never in agreement with the kind of wholesale marketing of our country to the highest bidder that
    we see under Bush. There has always been dissent, it is the healthy working of a representative
    democratic republic. Public discussion of our policies are one of our chief strengths (see the
    definition of fascism again please). Oh, and the right to criticize the government, including the
    president. Out-loud, and in public, without Brown Shirts knocking on my door at 3am to take me
    away. I am guessing that you would take this right away too, if you could?

    6) If you want us to be unified, come over to my side! Why do you guys who always want us to shutup
    always want us to accept *your* vision for this country? Why not you, ours?

    How the heck do guys like you come to think that your point of view could POSSIBLY represent the
    America of history? The America that the Statue of Liberty celebrates? The class-less America that
    has been a beacon of hope to rich and poor alike? The strong but merciful, rich but generous,
    Christian yet tolerant, (should I stop now?) America

    Maybe a representative democracy is inefficient but the country belongs to ALL of us.. not just to
    the group that subscribes to your beliefs. So we won't shutup.

  7. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    > LOL!!! Being a victim of a 2 college county and seeing that BIKES NOT BOMBS and BOOKS NOT BOMBS
    > stupity saddens and emarasses me to pedal anywhere nearby. Sadly all the good minds are
    > protecting us and we get wet behind the ears screwballs in our country; dividing it. Divided we
    > fall, or so I heard.
    >
    > Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

    Chris,

    When I returned from Vietnam, folks would slow their cars as they saw me walking down the street in
    uniform, and curse me for the war. That was misdirected blame. When a certain actress went to Hanoi
    to commiserate with the communists, that was, in my opinion, misdirected sympathy. But, I never
    objected to folks who honestly protested the policies that lead to war.

    I think that it is fair to ask if "pre-emptive deterence" is really an appropriate doctrine for a
    leader of the "Free World".

    I think that it is necessary to ask if we have surrendered more than we gained with the "Patriot
    Act". It might be time to remember what was wrong with the "Sedition Acts".

    And, I also think that it is valid to wonder if we would have had more support in the UN if we had
    not refused to sign the Kyoto Protocol, had not treated the fledgling Russian Democracy like chopped
    liver in negating the ABM, and had not pooh-poohed the idea of a world court. Good leaders listen
    and work with others, not just give orders.

    We are significantly changing foreign and domestic policies in response to a terrible attack, but
    still one that killed less people than drunk drivers do in a typical year. Before we make such major
    changes, we need to have a vigorous and even messy discussion of where America is heading.

    Gary McCarty, Major (Retired), United States Army

  8. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    LR wrote:

    > Yeh, and where's a bulldozer when you need it.....
    >
    > "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > just saw a clip of the peace demonstrations in London and a bent was in
    > the
    > > march. it was a lwb and looked to be ridden by a girl/woman and had large wings attached to a
    > > frame over the seat. on the wings it said PEACE CYCLE

    Is that a reference to the demonstrator being killed by a bulldozer in Israel? I don't find that
    very amusing.

  9. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    On 24 Mar 2003 06:18:27 -0800, [email protected] (Gary Mc) wrote:

    >[...] Good leaders listen and work with others, not just give orders.

    Working to obtain consensus seems not to be a 'W' Bush strong trait.

    >We are significantly changing foreign and domestic policies in response to a terrible attack, but
    >still one that killed less people than drunk drivers do in a typical year.

    9/11 attacks killed fewer people than die annually from medical mistakes or from car accidents. We
    rationalize highway deaths essentially as a life-style choice. Part of this is the irrational way
    humans evaluate risk. What's more 'dangerous',-- bees or bears? --The plane trip or the trip to
    the airport?

    > Before we make such major changes, we need to have a vigorous and even messy discussion of where
    > America is heading.

    Yes,-- much more so than we had leading up to the latest actions.

    Jon Meinecke

  10. Phoenix

    Phoenix Guest

    To wish a bulldozer unleashed on a fellow democratic citizen (let alone fellow recumbent rider!) is
    callous stupidity demonstrating a true lack of understanding about what democracy actually means.
    Remember free speech? Or did you fall off your recumb and hit your head too many times?

    Some of the comments posted at least remain true to the traditions of America and what it once stood
    for. I'm encouraged to see at least some Yanks are still brave enough to think for themselves. And
    to speak for themselves.

    I just hope enough of you awake from the CNN - FOX media slumber in time to see what kind of world
    Mr. unelected Bush and company are setting up for American kids and their futures.

    one RedEyedJedi

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    phoenix wrote:

    > To wish a bulldozer unleashed on a fellow democratic citizen (let alone fellow recumbent rider!)
    > is callous stupidity demonstrating a true lack of understanding about what democracy actually
    > means. Remember free speech? Or did you fall off your recumb and hit your head too many times?
    >
    > Some of the comments posted at least remain true to the traditions of America and what it once
    > stood for. I'm encouraged to see at least some Yanks are still brave enough to think for
    > themselves. And to speak for themselves.
    >
    > I just hope enough of you awake from the CNN - FOX media slumber in time to see what kind of world
    > Mr. unelected Bush and company are setting up for American kids and their futures.

    At least the House Republicans are showing their support for the troops by passing a budget that
    cuts veterans' benefits.

    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies ... a theft from those
    who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed ... this is not a way of life at
    all ... it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

  12. R.White

    R.White Guest

    "phoenix" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > To wish a bulldozer unleashed on a fellow democratic citizen (let alone fellow recumbent rider!)
    > is callous stupidity demonstrating a true lack of understanding about what democracy actually
    > means. Remember free speech? Or did you fall off your recumb and hit your head too many times?

    Why do people complain about what someone said, and then cry about "free speech"? The poster with
    the bulldozer comment was excercising his right to free speech too. Get it?

    > Some of the comments posted at least remain true to the traditions of America and what it once
    > stood for. I'm encouraged to see at least some Yanks are still brave enough to think for
    > themselves. And to speak for themselves.

    Yeah, like the guy with the bulldozer comment and yet you criticize him for doing exactly what you
    support. Get it yet?

    > I just hope enough of you awake from the CNN - FOX media slumber in time to see what kind of world
    > Mr. unelected Bush and company are setting up for American kids and their futures.

    But I thought the Dems were going to take control last November? I guess too many Dem voters were
    out protesting the cause dujour to make it to the polls.

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > At least the House Republicans are showing their support for the troops by passing a budget that
    > cuts veterans' benefits.

    A budget submitted to them by the very same President that sent those troops to battle!

    Andy

    --
    President Bush; Don't slash V. A. benefits. Support our troops. Or are you really that much of a
    hypocrite?