Bents in a Mainstream store

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by bentcruiser, May 10, 2003.

  1. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
    > "bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >> Sun and Ski is not a huge chain but it does have a moderate amount of stores.
    >

    > ... not one of those states is a serious cycling state. Having some snow board shop selling your
    > bents isn't going to cut it.

    Gasp! Are you implying there might be some SNOWBOARDERS somewhere, riding recumbents!??? Sun and Ski
    probably doesn't even teach 'em the secret handshake! (Actually, I hope they don't.)

    By "serious cycling state" I'm presuming a place where the cyclists dress like, oh, YOU
    for instance?

  2. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Are you going to tell Lance or shall I?

    He already knows. Guys like Lance and Me are used to training in areas such as Cinque Terre region,
    you know, the route from Monterosso climbing over the Passo Termine and down in to Vernazza, and
    then on to Brugnato, Deiva Marina and Matarrana.

    Now how can Lance's training area around his home in Dripping Springs Texas ever compare to that?

    If you really want, I can ask him the question for you next time I have dinner with him at Chuy's
    in Austin.

  3. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    Dog gone Fabio, nice "name dropping", i'm impressed.

    Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >

    >>Are you going to tell Lance or shall I?
    >

    > He already knows. Guys like Lance and Me are used to training in areas such as Cinque Terre
    > region, you know, the route from Monterosso climbing over the Passo Termine and down in to
    > Vernazza, and then on to Brugnato, Deiva Marina and Matarrana.
    >
    > Now how can Lance's training area around his home in Dripping Springs Texas ever compare to that?
    >
    > If you really want, I can ask him the question for you next time I have dinner with him at Chuy's
    > in Austin.

  4. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    I don't know anything about what states are big biking states, nor do I know anything about this Fab
    person, but all I can see is him making some statements and other people calling him names. Doesn't
    reflect very well on the group.

    bentbiker wrote:
    > Dog gone Fabio, nice "name dropping", i'm impressed.
    >
    > Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
    >
    >> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> Are you going to tell Lance or shall I?
    >>

    >> He already knows. Guys like Lance and Me are used to training in areas such as Cinque Terre
    >> region, you know, the route from Monterosso climbing over the Passo Termine and down in to
    >> Vernazza, and then on to Brugnato, Deiva Marina and Matarrana.
    >>
    >> Now how can Lance's training area around his home in Dripping Springs Texas ever compare to that?
    >>
    >> If you really want, I can ask him the question for you next time I have dinner with him at Chuy's
    >> in Austin.

  5. "Paul Bruneau" skrev...
    > "nor do I know anything about this Fab person"

    I think that sums it up nicely. Fab is a troll.

    M.

  6. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    > geoff adams wrote:
    > >
    > > The best thing to do with these "Fab" type people on usenet is to ignore or filter. Then they go
    > > away. Or maybe they come back as sincere participants. If you engage them, they keep posting.
    >
    > There are some purely stupid posters [1] who are just a waste of time. Fab is in a completely
    > different category in that his postings are entertaining almost all the time. In addition,
    > tweaking Fab is a rather entertaining sport. ;)
    >
    > [1] There are some good examples at < http://sheldonbrown.net/skaterebuttal.html >.

    Thanks Tom for the Sheldon Brown reference. I haven't had such a good laugh in years. We a.r.b.r.
    posters should all review this as an object lesson of what is possible when we lose our cool. Ah, if
    we could only see ourselves as others see us!

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Paul Bruneau wrote:

    > I don't know anything about what states are big biking states, nor do I know anything about this
    > Fab person, but all I can see is him making some statements and other people calling him names.
    > Doesn't reflect very well on the group.

    Paul,

    I suggest doing a Google search of rec.bicycles.misc for "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" and reading a
    selection of his past postings. Then you will start to understand why Fab has both a fan club and a
    long list of detractors.

    Fabrizio is real if we believe in him - otherwise he does not exist.

  8. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Wow, neat! I did not know that Seattle was now its own state! When did this happen?

    Derek

    "Artificial intelligence is not match for natural stupidity."
    - Chester Anon

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:41:16 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you really want, I can ask him the question for you next time I have dinner with him at Chuy's
    >in Austin.

    Austin? *AUSTIN*? Sheesh - what kind of cyclist would be seen DEAD in Texas? :p

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 08:12:30 +0200, "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Fab is a troll.

    A sock-puppet, surely?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 01:43:12 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Fabrizio is real if we believe in him - otherwise he does not exist.

    One day when we are all old and grey[1] Jon Isaacs[2] will 'fess up and tell the world that Fabs is
    his secret identity :-D

    [1] Those of us who aren't already, that is
    [2] If you don't know who Jon is either, visit rec.bicycles.misc and take in an episode of the jon
    and Frank[3] show
    [3] Frank Krygowski - try to keep up at the back there!

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. "Just zis Guy, you know?" skrev

    > >Fab is a troll.
    >
    > A sock-puppet, surely?

    Aye.

    Whats all this Dark Side stuff btw? Have you been running around wheezing and claiming to be
    peoples dad? ;-)

    M.

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 22:07:55 +0200, "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Whats all this Dark Side stuff btw? Have you been running around wheezing and claiming to be
    >peoples dad? ;-)

    The dark side is faster, young Jedi - wind resistance is futile!

    Follow the link at: <http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/uk-rec-cycling>

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  14. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    I hesitate to disrupt the flow of this engaging conversation about serious cycling states, but
    Burleys do have a better shot at mainstream bike stores than most recumbent dealers, in that they
    already have the distribution channels open. Products such as their trailer bikes (to hook your kid
    behind you on a pedaler) are widely sold through conventional bike dealers. Maybe they'll fill the
    vacuum left by the departure of BikeE.

    --
    Greg Dunn

    "bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was in Sun and Ski tonight and I noticed that they are starting to carry Burley recumbents. I
    > was surprised. This was the same chain who had told me in a company e-mail a few years ago that
    > "bents do not have any bearing on the market. They are a fad."
    >
    > Sun and Ski is not a huge chain but it does have a moderate amount of stores.
    >
    > http://www.sunandski.com
    >
    > Derek

  15. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 May 2003 01:43:12 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Fabrizio is real if we believe in him - otherwise he does not exist.
    >
    > One day when we are all old and grey[1] Jon Isaacs[2] will 'fess up and tell the world that Fabs
    > is his secret identity :-D
    >
    > [1] Those of us who aren't already, that is
    > [2] If you don't know who Jon is either, visit rec.bicycles.misc and take in an episode of the jon
    > and Frank[3] show
    > [3] Frank Krygowski - try to keep up at the back there!

    Jon Isaacs has never ridden a recumbent, but he knows that they are not suitable for his riding
    conditions since he has observed others riding recumbents.

  16. Greg Dunn <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I hesitate to disrupt the flow of this engaging conversation about serious cycling states, but
    : Burleys do have a better shot at mainstream bike stores than most recumbent dealers, in that they
    : already have the distribution channels open.

    Does anybody think recumbents will be a commercial success for mainstream LBSes? Will most just
    discontinue selling them after the first season?

  17. bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Fabrizio Mazzol wrote:
    : > The cycling states are the Seattle area and certain parts of California.

    : Wow, neat! I did not know that Seattle was now its own state! When did this happen?

    Well they are their own nation, though, it's still a secret, so hush up and nobody will know. When
    you see a black lowracer in front of the TV station you know it's begun...

  18. Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    : On Mon, 12 May 2003 22:07:55 +0200, "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:

    :>Whats all this Dark Side stuff btw? Have you been running around wheezing and claiming to be
    :>peoples dad? ;-)

    : The dark side is faster, young Jedi - wind resistance is futile!

    Join me and we'll rule the road as captain and stroker? huh?

  19. Russ Price

    Russ Price Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Does anybody think recumbents will be a commercial success for mainstream LBSes? Will most just
    > discontinue selling them after the first season?

    I think it would depend much on the LBS. There's one near me that was originally quite skeptical
    about recumbents. However, the amount of recumbent traffic on the nearby trail changed the
    proprietor's mind a bit, and the shop now carries RANS and Sun EZ, has just started carrying
    Catrike, and I saw an Optima Baron hanging from the ceiling last weekend. If I hadn't just bought a
    used trike, I'd probably snap up the Baron posthaste. *drool*

    Of course, they haven't gone 'bent-only - the shop has a variety of MTB's, hybrids, and road bikes
    as well. They have something for everyone...

    --
    Russ Price * [email protected] * kill the wabbit to email "The Congresspeople were
    replaced by beings who think laws apply to humans and not themselves. I don't know what species

  20. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    Depends on the LBS and the employees. If none of the employees have any interest in the bikes or
    ride them for any length of time then they probably wont try to sell them. As most consumers
    coming into a store don't know much about the bikes and the sales people don't know much more the
    recumbents will be slow to move. But if a few sales people are knowledgeable about bents the
    equation changes. Most LBS I've seen that carry bents it is hard to find a sales person that knows
    anything about a bent. A couple of bikes are on the show room but unless a sales person is asked
    particularly about the bents they are never mentioned. However atleast one shop I have been in
    that sold mostly uprights had a person that commuted daily on a bent and was very knowledgeable
    about a variety of designs. When I visited this store I saw as many bents being tested as uprights
    despite having ~10 times as many uprights on the showroom floor. Someday someone will figure out
    how to market bents to mainstream people interested in a bike for exercise that is much more
    comfortable. Craig