Bents in Durham

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, May 19, 2003.

  1. I've lived in Durham just over a year now and in all that time I've not seen a bent on the roads.
    Okay, there are less cyclists overall than some cities, the hills might see to that, but to see none
    at all is a bit strange. Then, last night, I saw two within the space of a couple of minutes on the
    same stretch of road. The first was a trike, tadpole style, the second a compact looking bike with a
    fairly high position. They was a sufficient time gap between them for me to think they weren't
    together but I did wonder whether there had been some sort of bent get together in or near Durham.

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Don't know about Durham but I have a few recumbent friends up the road a bit in Newcastle, one of whom rides a Trice.

    Have a mate now resident in Edinburgh who universitied at Durham along with his SWB Velocita.

  3. John J

    John J Guest

    It was probably part of the Old Crown (of course it's a pub!) Challenge. A touringish event from
    Durham to Hesket Newmarket. To quote the BHPC website - "The Old Crown Challenge That wonderful
    pub-ride with altitude. Runs from Durham to Hesket Newmarket, home of the Old Crown via Alston.
    Hilly with big scenery (Pennines, Lake District) industrial history/dereliction (Weardale, Nenthead)
    and a jolly nice pub at the end. Will take a weekend and requires low gears and GOOD BRAKES."

    John J

    > It was probably part of the Old Crown (of course it's a pub!) Challenge. A touringish event from
    > Durham to Hesket Newmarket. To quote the BHPC website - "The Old Crown Challenge That wonderful
    > pub-ride with altitude. Runs from Durham to Hesket Newmarket, home of the Old Crown via Alston.
    > Hilly with big scenery (Pennines, Lake District) industrial history/dereliction (Weardale,
    > Nenthead) and a jolly nice pub at the end. Will take a weekend and requires low gears and GOOD
    > BRAKES."

    Cheers for that. Sounds like a nice run, I see from elsewhere that it is out and back which
    would figure.

    Colin

  5. Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > I've lived in Durham just over a year now and in all that time I've not seen a bent on the roads.
    > Okay, there are less cyclists overall than some cities, the hills might see to that, but to see
    > none at all is a bit strange. Then, last night, I saw two within the space of a couple of minutes
    > on the same stretch of road. The first was a trike, tadpole style, the second a compact looking
    > bike with a fairly high position. They was a sufficient time gap between them for me to think
    > they weren't together but I did wonder whether there had been some sort of bent get together in
    > or near Durham.

    Could well have been The Old Crown Challenge. We left gNick's place in Pity Me at about 10:15
    Saturday and went via Langley Park, Quebec & Tow Law before joining Weardale in Wolsingham. All the
    way up Weardale, over Kilhope and down to Alston, then over Hartside to Penrith and thence northwest
    to Hesket Newmarket, arriving at 18:00. We didn't bother riding back, though as we would have
    drowned. I heard yesterday that the wettest place in the country both Saturday and Sunday was Shap,
    this being about 20 miles from Hesket Newmarket...

    The cast of characters was Me (Speedmachine with red tailbox), gNick Green (Windcheetah) and Ian
    Chattington (Davies low racer), and we did get a bit spread out from time to time, so it may have
    been some of us...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/