'Bents not Smart?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Terry D, May 31, 2004.

  1. Terry D

    Terry D Guest

    This one isn't down to Jermy Claxon, but one of his fellow scribblers in
    the Sunday Times Driving section, May 20, page 21.

    In a piece entitled "Top of the Lover League" Roland White scribbled the
    following;

    "Is there anything less sexy than a smug Smart? These are the motoring
    equivalent of the reclining bicycles that you ride lying down."

    Aparently the Smart car comes seventh in a list of cars whose owners
    admitted adultery in a poll conducted by somebody or other.
    Unfortunately we are not told where the owners of 'Reclining Bicycles'
    fitted into the list.

    Terry Duckmanton

    Tifosi CK7. Cycling equivalent of a Jaguar estate?
     
    Tags:


  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Terry D wrote:
    >
    > Aparently the Smart car comes seventh in a list of cars whose owners
    > admitted adultery in a poll conducted by somebody or other.
    >


    But not on the back seat it would seem ;-)

    Tony
     
  3. Mark McN

    Mark McN Guest

    Reply to Terry D
    > "Is there anything less sexy than a smug Smart? These are the motoring
    > equivalent of the reclining bicycles that you ride lying down."
    >



    Ar, well, it'll be the word "smug" which evidently made him think of
    recumbents |-)

    --
    Mark, UK.
    We hope to hear him swear, we love to hear him squeak,
    We like to see him biting fingers in his horny beak.
     
  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Terry D quoted:
    > "Is there anything less sexy than a smug Smart? These are the motoring
    > equivalent of the reclining bicycles that you ride lying down."


    I'm still trying to figure out how. Is it because they're more efficient?

    I found the article here:
    <URL:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1125978,00.html>

    I was mildly amused by the last paragraph:
    "There’s one puzzling thing about all this. The German company that did
    this survey for the magazine carried out a more general investigation
    into adultery a couple of years ago. It found 59% of men admitted
    cheating in the bedroom, which means that drivers are well below the
    national average. This suggests there could be some very randy cyclists
    out there."

    > Tifosi CK7. Cycling equivalent of a Jaguar estate?


    I've seen the Street Machine compared to a Bentley - not the fastest
    machine out there, but what it lacks in speed it more than makes up for
    in comfort :)

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
     
  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > I've seen the Street Machine compared to a Bentley - not the fastest
    > machine out there, but what it lacks in speed it more than makes up for
    > in comfort :)


    Though it has a "GT" tag ISTM that the Speedmachine is more analogous to
    the original Gran Tourismo concept of a sports car you can go touring in
    with more luggage than a Visa card (or back in the 50s, a large envelope
    of cash!).

    As for being smug, well, it wasn't /my/ idea most people should ride
    around on wee triangles of leather or plastic perched on a pole while I
    have a sprung, padded armchair... ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  6. On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:55:04 +0100, Terry D wrote:

    > This one isn't down to Jermy Claxon, but one of his fellow scribblers in
    > the Sunday Times Driving section, May 20, page 21.
    >
    > In a piece entitled "Top of the Lover League" Roland White scribbled the
    > following;
    >
    > "Is there anything less sexy than a smug Smart? These are the motoring
    > equivalent of the reclining bicycles that you ride lying down."
    >
    > Aparently the Smart car comes seventh in a list of cars whose owners
    > admitted adultery in a poll conducted by somebody or other.
    > Unfortunately we are not told where the owners of 'Reclining Bicycles'
    > fitted into the list.


    But IIRC it wasn't all bad for the smart-car owners. They didn't commit
    adultery because erm, everything was more than fine at home - seemingly
    not the case for Porsche owners.
     
  7. The bloke who bought Mrs Larrington's Kingcycle turned up to a race with it
    a few weeks later, strapped to the back of a Smart. This all goes to show
    something, although I'm sure I don't know what.

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
    ===========================================================
     
  8. Dave Larrington wrote:

    > The bloke who bought Mrs Larrington's Kingcycle


    Every time I read "Kingcycle", I mentally preface it with an
    apostrophe, and giggle. I blame Terry Pratchett.

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    "Not waving, but drowning."
     
  9. On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:55:04 +0100, Terry D
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >Aparently the Smart car comes seventh in a list of cars whose owners
    >admitted adultery in a poll conducted by somebody or other.
    >Unfortunately we are not told where the owners of 'Reclining Bicycles'
    >fitted into the list.


    Somewhat puzzled: surely the lower in the league table the better?
    Speaking as someone who has never committed adultery and probably
    never will[1] I nearly went out and bought an Astra, but then I
    realised: the reason Astra drivers don't commit adultery is because
    they have all the pulling power of a Fair Isle sleeveless cardigan...

    [1] I freely admit that this may be making a virtue out of an
    inevitability, being an ugly bastard.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University
     
Loading...
Loading...