Best “didn’t see you” line?

Earthdog

Jun 6, 2005
Sometimes, you are still standing when you hear those immortal words, other times you are looking up at them. I am of course referring to the classic line “Sorry mate, didn’t see you”.

So, what’s the best excuse you’ve had from someone that tried (or succeeded) in sending you to hospital?

Let me set the ball rolling with one I had the other day that almost left me speechless. She’d pulled out onto a small roundabout I was already on. I shouted at her while taking evasive action. She actually stopped (rather abruptly, which almost caused another accident) and wondered why I was upset with her. I pointed out that despite my canary yellow top she didn’t appear to have seen me, when she’d pulled out :mad: . So she said “Look, my husband told me he’s having an affair this morning. So, I don’t give a dam!” At the time the best I could reply was that didn’t give her an excuse to go around trying to put people in hospital. A few minutes later, I wondered if instead I should have made some comment about ‘if her driving skill matched her bedroom ability, I’m not surprised’ Somehow, I don’t think she’d have reacted too well to such a comment.:D

So, what would you have said? Or what lines have you had used on you?

"What the #&$@% are you doing on the road? Your supposed to be riding on the sidewalk!"....NOT!!:mad: All drivers need to learn the Rules of the Road!!

"Sorry. I wasn't looking". Said while holding out her cell phone for me to see.

I flipped her the bird and rode around behind the car.

Earthdog said:

So she said “Look, my husband told me he’s having an affair this morning. So, I don’t give a dam!”
You should have told that if she were your wife, you would have an affair too.

That reply may well have been posted on my tombstone as my last words :)

It's good to see that the mindless majority in their metal cages have some degree if originality, just wish they'd realise they can't multi-task!

To the OP

Was the driver attractive? ;)

I've never heard an excuse, just a whole lotta "Get the f*ck off the streets, idiot!"

Scarantino said:
To the OP

Was the driver attractive? ;)

I've never heard an excuse, just a whole lotta "Get the f*ck off the streets, idiot!

Hell no! I'd be too drunk to perform. If you get my drift :)

some times , not only don't they see you, they CAN't...even if they had looked ( which she didnt)...

riding into a carpark recently and from my height on the bike I can see pretty much most things and keeping a good heads up look out, came to the end of a line of parked cars and as I approached the end, a new model Mini ( the BMW version) screamed around them and barrelled at me...we both propped and no damage done..

"SMIDSY" she said as she lowered the window of the Mini... "oops I'll have to get a bigger car, so people can see me, maybe a big rig"...

I had to say to her, "NO WAY !! driving like that, you nearly killed me with this one, you would have with a Rig... SLOW DOWN !!!"

to me SMIDSY translates to "I didnt look"...

MY bad this time... my wife and I were walking on the sidewalk when, messing around, I jumped away from her and into the bike lane... with my back to oncomming traffic. The cyclist who actually caught the sleeve of my shirt as he wizzed past - FAST - exclaimed "Dude!" on his way by, and then seemed to laugh uncontrollably as he continued on.

I interpreted his laughter to mean that he was just really, rally glad my stupidity hadn't caused either of us any harm. How he missed me at his speed I don't know, especially because there was traffic to his left.

Of course I've been on best behavior every since and somewhat more careful about riding up behind walkers as well!

So, I guess in this case my "didn't see you" line would have been, "Sorry, I was an idiot."

Earthdog said:
Hell no! I'd be too drunk to perform. If you get my drift :)
Yes I do, haha.

Nothing like a close call with a hot female motorists. Talk about an easy way to break the ice.

rooman said:
some times , not only don't they see you, they CAN't...even if they had looked ( which she didnt)...

riding into a carpark recently and from my height on the bike I can see pretty much most things and keeping a good heads up look out, came to the end of a line of parked cars and as I approached the end, a new model Mini ( the BMW version) screamed around them and barrelled at me...we both propped and no damage done..

"SMIDSY" she said as she lowered the window of the Mini... "oops I'll have to get a bigger car, so people can see me, maybe a big rig"...

I had to say to her, "NO WAY !! driving like that, you nearly killed me with this one, you would have with a Rig... SLOW DOWN !!!"

to me SMIDSY translates to "I didnt look"...
Her logic is quite scary:eek:

Mike Jacobs said:
MY bad this time... my wife and I were walking on the sidewalk when, messing around, I jumped away from her and into the bike lane... with my back to oncomming traffic. The cyclist who actually caught the sleeve of my shirt as he wizzed past - FAST - exclaimed "Dude!" on his way by, and then seemed to laugh uncontrollably as he continued on.
- snip -
Sounds like a silly thing I did too. I was actually riding and I almost took out another cyclist. I was trying to get through some crammed up traffic at a red light and I thought I'd have a better chance between the turning lane and the straight through lane, so I cut between two cars into the middle only to hear an "Oh ****......" I'd cut another cyclist off and almost made him come off. Luckily I heard him before I got into the lane and he managed to avoid me, but my comment was "sorry mate, I'm an idiot."

Good one. Well she might have thought about it for a moment. Maybe she would have agreed with that. Some people are pretty conscious of that inability. "I didn't see you." Well it's pretty easy for people to do that. Bikers are fast and certainly not a car, pedestrian, or whatever. I don't have any stories like that. I was in a car once when the driver hit a biker.

Well maybe a nag with poor bedroom skills. Maybe you should have asked her for her number and had her take you out to dinner to make it up to you. You never know. If you taken maybe you might of had a friend for her. Sometimes accidents are interesting occurrences with some kind of interesting out come. Reminds me of this girl who thought the only way she could meet a guy was if she had some kind of accident happen. Lol I don't get it. She would purposely do stuff if she saw someone she liked.

"If you want to ride a bike, move to China!"
Sigh...
I'm no going to move to a third world despotic country just to be able to ride a bike.

Also I get the argument a lot that drivers pay fuel tax so are more entitled to road usage then cyclists.

On the other hand one day few years back I was backing out of my old apartments driveway (which was between two commercial buildings.)
I came out slow and honked just as my trunk was coming into the sidewalk (as I always do and everyone should do when in that situation.)
This kid on a freaking breakless BMX with headphones in starts freaking out how I almost killed him, that I should "watch wtf I am doing."
I told that little snot off, that he was the one with the line of sight and if he wants to ride that particular bike on the sidewalk maybe he should pay attention. He told me off and rode off.
It's Aholes like that, that give us all a bad name.