Best 29" tire for the Sun 28

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by onefiftyfour, May 6, 2004.

  1. onefiftyfour

    onefiftyfour Guest

    Tags:

  2. Grogboy

    Grogboy Guest

    nah, but I think that if you look on www.amazon.com you can find mostly
    anything bookwise, so they're sure to be a guide on there. actually,
    waterstones have a good selection of alternative sporting activities.
    www.waterstones.co.uk

    --
    Grogboy - wankspanner

    with great power comes great responsibility.
    Grogboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6467

  3. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    onefiftyfour wrote:
    > *Has anyone found a 29" tire that works well in the Sun 28" frame?
    >
    > -Eric *

    If you can get me the inner dimensions of this frame, I'll be able to
    recommend you a tire. I just don't have one on hand nor have I had the
    chance to measure one for my database. Also, I'll need to know your rim
    and intended application.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  4. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    I'm sure the guys at unicycle.com could help you out.

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino
    Sig count: 2

  5. onefiftyfour

    onefiftyfour Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *If you can get me the inner dimensions of this frame, I'll be able to
    > recommend you a tire. I just don't have one on hand nor have I had
    > the chance to measure one for my database. Also, I'll need to know
    > your rim and intended application. *

    I've created an album with photos of the uni with a tape measure 'here.'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album121) I don't know if that will be
    acurate enough. Assume all photos were taken directly above the point
    of measurement. Maybe you can get enough of a clue about the rim from
    the photos of the tire info.

    My intended application is just dorking around on it. I want to have a
    fatter tire for comfort and light off-roading. The existing tire is so
    thin that it easily gets puctured.

    Thanks, U-turn. If you need me to get another kind of measurement, let
    me know.

    -Eric

    --
    onefiftyfour - Eric
    onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

  6. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    onefiftyfour wrote:
    > *Thanks, U-turn. If you need me to get another kind of measurement,
    > let me know.
    >
    > -Eric *

    Sure Eric. I need from the middle of the axle to the bottom of the seat
    tube.

    Tx

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  7. onefiftyfour

    onefiftyfour Guest

  8. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Based on that data, your frame is (regrettably) too small for a 700c Big
    Apple. However, I am working on a wheel right now with a tire that may
    fit your frame and be reasonably fat. So please give me till tomorrow
    to finish up and get the tire mounted. In the meantime any one else is
    welcome to chime in.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  9. onefiftyfour

    onefiftyfour Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *Based on that data, your frame is (regrettably) too small for a 700c
    > Big Apple. However, I am working on a wheel right now with a tire
    > that may fit your frame and be reasonably fat. So please give me till
    > tomorrow to finish up and get the tire mounted. In the meantime any
    > one else is welcome to chime in. *

    Thanks for looking into it. I had heard from Max that that tire would
    not fit in the Sun frame. There is 3/4 of an inch between my current 28
    inch tire and the bottom of the seat post. I thought that would give me
    room for a 29 inch, thinking that I only needed a 1/2 inch on top and a
    1/2 inch on bottom.

    I wonder by how much does the Big Apple miss fitting. And if my frame
    is also too narrow. If the frame is only too short by a few mm's, I
    can imagine putting some kind of rubber spacer in the bearing holder to
    push the hub away a little.

    Are the 2.1 width tire options worth looking into?

    -Eric

    --
    onefiftyfour - Eric
    onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

  10. Yeah, I think we tried a nanoraptor. Or maybe it was a notos xc. Either
    way, it didnt fit with a stock rim.

    Good luck on finding something else though.

    --
    Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

    BLAH!
    Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

  11. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    OK this tire should do you, Eric. The vertical fit has about 5mm of
    space in your frame. It's the Michelin Transworld City 700c/47c. Here
    are three pics. The tire is listed in the QBP catalog and can be
    ordered through your LBS. It has a roadish water-shedding tread. The
    rim shown is a Sun CR18, which is narrower than yours, as far as I can
    tell.

    | Attachment filename: light 700c racer and road 001 (small).jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/208812|

    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  12. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Another pic

    | Attachment filename: light 700c racer and road 002 (small).jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/208813|

    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  13. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    and another. Good luck!

    |Attachment filename: light 700c racer and road 005 (small, equalized).jpg|
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/208814|

    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  14. daino149

    daino149 Guest

  15. onefiftyfour

    onefiftyfour Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *OK this tire should do you, Eric. The vertical fit has about 5mm of
    > space in your frame. It's the Michelin Transworld City 700c/47c...*

    I've got that tire now. I've added pictures of it in 'that gallery (new
    link address).' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Sun-28-Measurements)

    I like the feel of the new tire. And it will definetly be more durable
    than the original tire. The new tire is no taller than the original,
    but a little wider. I now have 15mm between the top of the tire and the
    bottom of the seat tube. I have about 5mm between the sidewall and the
    frame. That's not much, I know. I'm ready to just accept that this is
    all this frame can accomadate.