Best AERO Position on Road Bike?

tuney

Feb 1, 2004
Anyone got any references for the best position on road bikes, for road racing?

Its a topic I dont see much of, but im sure there are significant gains to be made when in a break/solo.

Example maybe be:
#Torso Angle - flat?
#Arm Position - On hoods forearms flat/On Drops arms angled. Sheltering Legs Etc.
#Leg Postion - Close to top Tube
#Seat Pos - Low and back, high and forward.
#Motor attached to wheels.
etc

Any advice would be great.
Chris

chris,

give me a shout. i have someone i can recommend for fitting/positional analysis if you want.

cheers
ric

p.s. anyone can give me a shout on this if you want the best road or TT positions.

tuney said:
Anyone got any references for the best position on road bikes, for road racing?

Its a topic I dont see much of, but im sure there are significant gains to be made when in a break/solo.

Example maybe be:
#Torso Angle - flat?
#Arm Position - On hoods forearms flat/On Drops arms angled. Sheltering Legs Etc.
#Leg Postion - Close to top Tube
#Seat Pos - Low and back, high and forward.
#Motor attached to wheels.
etc

Any advice would be great.
Chris

can you ride with your nose lower than your ****, like this guy? :)

JeromeKoppel.jpg

531Aussie said:
can you ride with your nose lower than your ****, like this guy? :)

JeromeKoppel.jpg
that is an absolutely extreme position and despite a medal at the worlds for him is likely not optimal for many. Maybe not even for him!

To the OP: check out some youtube videos from the 80's (pre aerobars). Hinault, Lemond looked pretty darned good and went pretty fast IIRC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_YGWlex9nM&mode=related&search=

rmur17 said:
that is an absolutely extreme position and despite a medal at the worlds for him is likely not optimal for many. Maybe not even for him!

To the OP: check out some youtube videos from the 80's (pre aerobars). Hinault, Lemond looked pretty darned good and went pretty fast IIRC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_YGWlex9nM&mode=related&search=

Some wicked vids on there... first time ive see the badger riding on tv.
I love the commentary and the dodgy music.
I didnt realise Phil Ligget has been commentating for so long! Class

tuney said:
Some wicked vids on there... first time ive see the badger riding on tv.
I love the commentary and the dodgy music.
I didnt realise Phil Ligget has been commentating for so long! Class

although i'm not old enough to have seen it at the time, i think liggett has been comentating from the 70s

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
although i'm not old enough to have seen it at the time, i think liggett has been comentating from the 70s

ric
I've always thought that you haven't "arrived" in cycling until you've been interviewed by Phil Liggett.

I actually saw some cycling coverage a little while ago that wasn't with commentary from Liggett. Just didn't seem right! I can understand the moniker of "The Voice of Cycling".

Back to the OP, on a road bike I found the best two position for me are:-
Going down hill: Hands on the tops with my chin almost on the stem [if there aren't too many corners, at which point I'll go to the drops.] This achieves the NLTA position.[that's Nose Lower Than ****]. :D
On the flat: Either, forearms resting on the tops [not good in a group] or low in the drops.

My 2 cents.