Best aero wheel for $AUD1200

Walrus

Apr 4, 2004
What's the best aero wheel for $1200 Australian Dollars. My definition of "best" in this instance is a wheel that is very aerodynamic as well as being strong (it's not for racing, so will be used a fair bit on long rides).

Rider weight: 75kg
Application: Long flat rides, not racing

I'm happy to go hand made. It doesn't need to be a well known brand.

Walrus said:
What's the best aero wheel for $1200 Australian Dollars. My definition of "best" in this instance is a wheel that is very aerodynamic as well as being strong (it's not for racing, so will be used a fair bit on long rides).

Rider weight: 75kg
Application: Long flat rides, not racing

I'm happy to go hand made. It doesn't need to be a well known brand.
I've been looking at this too. Alloy rims seem to go to about 33mm depth. There is a big price gap to deeper carbon rims at 50+mm. Full carbon rims are said to be too frail for routine riding if you're not a millionaire. You could try the TWE guy (www.ridetwe.com.au) who offers alloy up to 33mm at ~$900 through to ~$1200 for a 1500g set. He also makes 50mm carbon wheels. He gets very good write-ups on this site.
I'm also tempted by the 50mm Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL, which has an alloy rim with a carbon fairing so it's relatively heavy but apparently very durable. Cheapest price for those is about $1600 not including international postage or import duty.

artemidorus said:
I've been looking at this too. Alloy rims seem to go to about 33mm depth. There is a big price gap to deeper carbon rims at 50+mm. Full carbon rims are said to be too frail for routine riding if you're not a millionaire. You could try the TWE guy (www.ridetwe.com.au) who offers alloy up to 33mm at ~$900 through to ~$1200 for a 1500g set. He also makes 50mm carbon wheels. He gets very good write-ups on this site.
I'm also tempted by the 50mm Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL, which has an alloy rim with a carbon fairing so it's relatively heavy but apparently very durable. Cheapest price for those is about $1600 not including international postage or import duty.
Thanks, I'm in contact with Greg at TWE at the moment. I'd love to get some Carbones but they are to expensive for me at the moment. I'll see what TWE can come up with...also looking at American Classic 420s Neuvation.

Carbones are expensive, but they've been coming down a little since the "real carbon" Carbones came out.

Walrus said:
What wheel for $1200.
is that for a pair?

Where are you?

If they're not for racing (minimum of 16 spokes is a requirement for mass-start races), Bicycle Recyle in Moorabbin have a pair of Corima tri-spoke clinchers for around that price.

531Aussie said:
Carbones are expensive, but they've been coming down a little since the "real carbon" Carbones came out.
Don't want those "real carbon" fellas anyway...couldn't afford to break one.

artemidorus said:
Don't want those "real carbon" fellas anyway...couldn't afford to break one.
yeah, same here. All stuff is way out of my league. I hope to get some Carbones one day, but anything more expensive is totally out of the question.

I recently put together a rear DT RR1.2 with an Ultegra hub for less than $200, so the thought of spending $3000 for something which might be 1 or 2km faster (in certain conditions) seems a bit too much for little old me

531Aussie said:
is that for a pair?

Where are you?

If they're not for racing (minimum of 16 spokes is a requirement for mass-start races), Bicycle Recyle in Moorabbin have a pair of Corima tri-spoke clinchers for around that price.
Yes, $1200 for a pair...I'm in Melbourne.

531Aussie said:
have you got a price on them?
I found a price of $AUD950 for the HED Jet 60's, which I would assume to be more expensive than the 50's. So let's say they would be around $1K.

artemidorus said:
Noone thinks that these look alright??
I think they look really good. The spokes concern me a little, but the value for money seems good. Some invsetigation shows that Spinergy have a bad rep from a customer service point of view, but I've contacted Torpedo7 and they will provide the warranty. I don't know how these would compare aerodynamically to other wheels, or in terms of stiffness.