Best age for Road Cycling

Mvsarat Chandra

Aug 5, 2012
Hello guys! I am 20 right now and a complete newbie for racing! Is it ok with my age or am i too late? This sudden interest is maybe olympic fever,if so should i leave this thought? I have studies to take care too.No point of quitting that. So in all i can practice 15 hrs a week. Please help me with this dilemma or fever .

There's no dilemma, get out and ride, take out a racing license or join your collegiate team and race.

You're certainly not too old and younger than many when they first take up racing.

Fifteen hours per week is plenty of time to train and you should easily be able to work your training around your studies. Try it with a full time job and family as many of us do and you'll wish you were back on a college schedule.

Good luck,
-Dave

Originally Posted by Mvsarat Chandra .

......This sudden interest is maybe olympic fever,if so should i leave this thought? ...... Please help me with this dilemma or fever .
Interesting. I just saw a tiny news thing about people having strong desires to get fit and/or compete in athletic events after watching the Olympics. Seems to me there was another post about someone wondering what kind of bicycle to buy to get into racing. Do you own a bicycle? Are you a cyclist now?

Do you think that by the time the elections roll around (assuming you're American) that you'll have political desires?

Hahahaaa sir ...i have interest in very specific things! Like this ,studies, and animation. And nope for politics. Even in the past i had the fever thing only in these 3 categories! athletic studies and animation and nothing more!

Do you think that by the time the elections roll around (assuming you're American) that you'll have political desires?

If nominated, I will not accept!
If elected, I will not serve!

OP, your age is not an issue. Get out there and make some new friends and train hard. Join a cycling club, Join a racing team...you'll lean far faster and without making needless mis-steps if you have some experienced cyclists around to guide you and train with you.

Don't worry about your age! see- http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-29/ex-lehman-banker-parlays-bonuses-into-berth-at-london-olympics.html
  • Also find an experienced racer/coach/club to help with technique etc., read books from library by coaches and racers- lemond, hinault, carmichael, Eddy B., see videos on pedaling technique etc on youtube, stay away from big gears, and don't use your big chain ring till you have 1,000 miles "on" now and at the beginning of each season, stretch a lot (yoga, modern dance, ballet, martial arts), learn to fall, ( judo, ju-jitsi, aikido ) some available in PE dept at your school

I can't really get a coach or a team right away. Maybe i have to wait for an year . So untill then i will just practice the up hills. Thanks guys for the info ,now i really find myself confident.
Now . . . Let's rock and roll !! And unfortunately i am using a heavy no gear cycle!! ok with that?

A lot of riders will "take you under their wing" for nothing, that's how I got started. I met a bike racer, rare in those days, riding home from work when I stopped to watch an Apartment house burning, he was on a training ride, I had just bought my first nice bike, we started talking,we made arrangements to meet for a ride, where my eyes were opened WIDE!, and we rode together for over 30 years. Since then I've taught lots of riders how to ride and I am responsible for getitng 2 State/District champions started, one of whom asked me to help him get ready for the '08 Olympic Trials. He later took 3rd at Nationals in Tandem Sprints.

Reactions: Morfeeis
Can you be my online coach sir ? Today I did like 3 km of uphill and 2 km of flat road. And it sucked the life out of me!!

Originally Posted by Mvsarat Chandra .

......... Today I did like 3 km of uphill and 2 km of flat road. And it sucked the life out of me!!
Many have started cycling with lower fitness levels..... your world class optimism should serve you well with this endeavor. Don't train! Ride.... ride lots! Bicycling is a great sport... and a heck of a lot of fun. Take the time to learn to just enjoy cycling. It won't take long until your realize you no longer feel tired. You may even start to feel out of sorts if your schedule or the weather keeps you off the bike for any period of time. Then.... it will be time to train.

Reactions: Mvsarat Chandra
Work on your "spin" first, it'll take a while. Your first goal is to be able to consistently and comfortably pedal at 90-100 rpm for now. Time it like a heartbeat. Do not work on power until you have done this first! on hills your rpm goals will be harder to hit, don't worry about it . Just spin and don't mash for now. Pedal in "circles" or "oval" with the long axis parallel to the ground, push forward, down and pull back b4 you hit bottom, and pull up but not at full power, lt's easy to strain muscles if you pull up too hard,. try to keep your force at right angles to the crankarms
Do not use your big chainring except on downhills untill you've gained strength and technique, I generally reccomend 100 hrs or 1000 miles/1609.3440km first. I do this each year myself- I get my rpm and strength good on flats b4 I ride much hills or do power work, this will vary a bit depending on what you've been doing during winter. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcDA8Jp_4tk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXg3ce44Xnw&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrZBjOloChg&feature=endscreen for some helpful drills and positioning tips . Go out and ride lots but gradually increase your ride time and mileage.
Most librarys have good books on cycling read those by authors with road racing experience ie: Greg Lemond, Bernard Hinault, Eddy B., John Howard, Chris Carmichael etc. read as many as you can, newer is better but old is good too. There are a lot of good videos on youtube as well.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gifI believe that it is never too late to start Road Cycling! Just do it

It's too late to enter the 5-10 year old class, the 11-15 and the 16-19 year old class races. Short of that, have fun. You won't be going to the olympics. I can say that because if 10,000 people ask the question I'll be right in 9,995 or so times but the only people that make it to such lofty goals are those that ignore the naysayers. But I do think it would be hard to train to that level and go to school full time. Regardless of all that, enjoy, learn and have fun in the process.

1 interesting thing that I saw today that may answer your question is the following news article

http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/8321616/riding-pros-cycling-older-mean-better

And I'll Quote the 1 meaning full paragraph.

""As a kid, I was a non-athlete and always the one picked last for gym class," Team Colavita's Moriah MacGregor, 38, said of her days growing up in Whitehorse, in Canada's Yukon Territory. With no interest in sports as a child, it wasn't until her late 20s that MacGregor mounted a bike, after seeing the Canadian national championships nearby. The riders' speed and prowess touched a nerve in MacGregor."

So if they can you can.

Best age for bicycling is when you can first or still get on the bike. First bike I rode was my fathers American Standard when I was 5 years old. Had to lean it up on our fence to get on it. Still riding at 66 and reaching for ever increasing distance.

Reactions: SoloOwners
Hey - I'm an animator - I can tell you you should absolutely just get out on the bike - whether you end up racing or not. If you're choosing a career that puts you in front on a screen for 12 hours a day then riding is one of the best ways you can stay both physically and mentally healthy. It may also give you a better understanding of balance and movement which will in turn improve your animation skills.
Don't hesitate on this one - take the Olympic fever and run with it before it disapates :)

geez, I didn't get serious about racing till I was 29, I was doing stuff earlier but I got into CAT 3 at 29. So 20 is more than good to go, I couldn't race when I was 20 I was doing another commitment.

this thread is more than four years old ... guys prob moved on to skateboards now.

:)