Best all around Wheels between $800-1,000

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rondevouz, Feb 27, 2011.

1. rondevouz

rondevouz New Member

Hello;
    This is my first Thread,I join the forums today,Very happy because cycling is a very important part of my life...ok
    I would like some advice about "thread title" because I am willing to buy a pair
    Thank´s
    rendezvous

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

What type of bike? road, mtb, hybrid etc..
    What type of usage? racing, training, off-road, commuting etc..

3. rondevouz

rondevouz New Member

Thank´s Steve:
    I have Madone 6.5,Dura-Ace 7900.race x lite wheels(I am going to put them in my other bike)I live in Colombia ...
    Good and bad asphalt very hilly,40-60 miles 4 days a week/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

4. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

You could have a killer custom wheelset built up easily within your price range but if you're after factory built wheels I'd suggest looking at:

- American Classic 420s
    - Rolf Vigors or Vigor RS for a bit studier wheelset

That's if you want to balance good aerodynamics with light weight and prefer the braking reliability of alloy brake tracks. For less aero but really nice light wheels take a look at some Stan's 340 rims built onto a good set of hubs. Those are killer light but not terribly deep wheels. I like the Easton alloy rim offerings as well in that price range. All of these are clinchers but there are a lot of good tubular deals out there as well in similar wheelsets.

Full carbon or carbon with aluminum brake tracks will typically cost you more than your stated price range with a few exceptions like some of the Easton carbon alloy blends but they tend to be a bit heavier than higher priced options. But I would definitely think about talking to a local wheel builder and looking into some rims and hubs tailored to your needs including perhaps: Kinlins, DT Swiss RR 1.1s or 2.2s, Stans 340s, etc.

-Dave

5. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

I really like my Mavic Ksyrium SLs. I was sold on the fact that every review I read was a perfect review and so far they have all been accurate.

6. cyclingthings

cyclingthings New Member

i would suggest the topolinos. either the ctr 2.0 or atr3.0. theose are in the 1300 to 1400 grams, much lighter than any of the competition, plus more rigid and never will need tuning since it uses carbon and kevlar spokes.
    i have had a set for over 5 years with no problem
    carlos ruiz
    www.bikingthings.com

7. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

8. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

The Race X Lite wheels that you have right now are a pretty good set of wheels and I really don't see you getting much 'real' benefit from "upgrading" to most of the wheelsets within your price range that have been mentioned.

Given that you like the hills a set of Ksyrium SL Premiums would be a nice upgrade for the price - the extra stiffness is very noticable on the hills. They're about the least aero wheels out there but for climbing and descending they're very nice. They'll feel better than the wheels you have but as for actual performance enhancement, there might be a bit but we're not talking earth shattering amounts unless you're putting out some major watts that would cause all kinda of deflection in most other bank wheels.

I hated my rear American Classic 420 (with Sapim CX spokes). Rim deflection almighty and I'd have to release the brake q/r lever going up very steep hills. The front wheel was nice until it started popping spokes at random times. I had one break just looking at the bike in the garage. The sapim spokes go with an almighty bang.

9. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

What do you expect the new wheel set to do for you?

I would suggest a wheel with a powertap rear hub. That gives you a means to measure your improvement. Mavic Open Pro rims. $1000 for the rear. $150 for the front.

10. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Great advice! would $1,000 also get you the CPU?

11. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Sure, and if you don't mind a wiring harness it's a lot less than a thousand bucks: http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/DisplayStyle/793158?source=gpla&preferredSku=7931580018&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7931580018&mr:trackingCode=E2A3A1E3-F810-DF11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA