best and worse protein bars

I'm a big fan of bars because of their convenience. I'm always hungry and snacking they are a great choice. I favor bars like Perfect Foods bar. 100% organic, all natural, real calories. So many bars are highly processed. I try to avoid those if I can...but they taste good!

I usually eat the Clif protein bars because they taste good and they have a lot of protein. When I think about it, protein shakes are probably a lot healthier than protein bars though. Protein bars seem like they have a lot of sugar in it, and they taste like normal chocolate bars, which is weird considering they have so much protein.

I definitely recommend making your own if you haven't already. If you have access to a store with regular old ingredients, I guarantee you that you could probably make a decent batch at 1/6th or less the price of what cliff bars are charging.

Reactions: SirJoe
I definitely recommend making your own if you haven't already. If you have access to a store with regular old ingredients, I guarantee you that you could probably make a decent batch at 1/6th or less the price of what cliff bars are charging.

Really?! That sounds awesome. Do you have a recipe and/or instructions for how to make them? Would they taste good like Clif bars do?

Really?! That sounds awesome. Do you have a recipe and/or instructions for how to make them? Would they taste good like Clif bars do?

Um dude, those are the instructions. It's kind of like what a cliff bar is. Make some oatmeal, cover it in flour so it isn't all wet, let it bake and it dries out, have some sugars in there (you could use fruit juice instead of fruit, you said you wanted protein though). That's the recipe. You don't need all kinds of maltotechnamedextrinaterranerranonsense in your DIY cliff bars, cliff bars are just cheap ass bowls of oatmeals in nice wrappers.

Not only that but they will taste a whole lot better too. Energy bars are surprisingly easy to make and can really be fun to make.

Um dude, those are the instructions. It's kind of like what a cliff bar is. Make some oatmeal, cover it in flour so it isn't all wet, let it bake and it dries out, have some sugars in there (you could use fruit juice instead of fruit, you said you wanted protein though). That's the recipe. You don't need all kinds of maltotechnamedextrinaterranerranonsense in your DIY cliff bars, cliff bars are just cheap ass bowls of oatmeals in nice wrappers.

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds like a great way to save money because those Clif bars cost like $1.50 each, even if you buy in bulk.

I'm not a big fan of protein bars. They are usually super expensive and filled with sugar. You are better off buying whey protein in bulk and just mixing it with water if you're aiming to up your protein.

I'm not a big fan of protein bars. They are usually super expensive and filled with sugar. You are better off buying whey protein in bulk and just mixing it with water if you're aiming to up your protein.

Man I eat almost entirely carbs and I'm very low body fat and in high health, I will never understand why people are so cool with isolated protein from another mammals infantile growth formula but naturally occurring carbohydrates are apparently the devil ;)

Man I eat almost entirely carbs and I'm very low body fat and in high health, I will never understand why people are so cool with isolated protein from another mammals infantile growth formula but naturally occurring carbohydrates are apparently the devil ;)
You are a beautiful unicorn. For the rest of us mortals, carbohydrates raises blood sugar, which in turn causes a spike in insulin, which in turn clears out the sugar and causes massive blood sugar swings. Those swings is what causes food cravings, which causes us to eat more food, which will likely come in the form of more heavy carbs and the loop of death goes on forever. Unless you are working out every single day and burning mass amounts of energy constantly, eating a lot of carbs is awful for your health.

Interesting read in this thread. I really don't eat anything during workouts, just fluids (water, really) is enough for me until I get home. I don't think I've ever felt hungry while cycling, as the adrenaline is flowing and hunger gets suppressed in these situations. Maybe I should try it out and see what I've been missing out on?