best and worse protein bars

Originally posted by kokopuffs:
>Also there is a link between excess protein intake and kidney damage - the glomeruli, aka the filtering apparatus, is slowly ruined over time. Americans seem to have the highest protein intake and rate of kidney failure in the world.

That is a very tenuous link!
Americans also have very high intakes of fat and carbohydrates and salt and have very high levels of obesity.
Thus Americans have high rates of hypertension, adult-onset diabetes mellitus, and atherosclerotic vascular disease.
These latter 3 are far more relevent to the reasonably high rates of kidney disease in the USA than is high protein diets!!!

patch i havent tried the detour bars yet, but i did try promax bars-- the cookies and cream one is awesome!! it's my new chocolate fix when i feel the need. theyr'e pretty pricey too $4.50 from teh Melbourne city baths. i don't know where else theyre sold.

Originally posted by su22
patch i havent tried the detour bars yet, but i did try promax bars-- the cookies and cream one is awesome!! it's my new chocolate fix when i feel the need. theyr'e pretty pricey too $4.50 from teh Melbourne city baths. i don't know where else theyre sold.

The balance GOLD bars I have found to be awesome (caramel nut blast rules)..

However, dont take them on a ride, as they turn to mush.

Their are some awesome protein bars their called pure protein they have 32 g protein and very little crabs and tasted good too thats what i eat and i love them i would also try protein powders i use mega isolate it has 50 g protein and 3 crabs and taste really good as well you can found powder and bar at any gnc.

real food is better for you then those candy bars they sell at the supplement store...thats really all they are.

Yes but real food is also high in fat and crabs if you buy a protein bar or a powder then you get 2 or 3 carbs a 1% fat also eating protein bars is a lot easier then eat 5 preces of chicken and has alot more protein and thier not nasty you just need to know what to buy and not be picky

Originally posted by ryan45541
Yes but real food is also high in fat and crabs if you buy a protein bar or a powder then you get 2 or 3 carbs a 1% fat also eating protein bars is a lot easier then eat 5 preces of chicken and has alot more protein and thier not nasty you just need to know what to buy and not be picky

mm crabs are tasty.

Originally posted by i2ambler
mm crabs are tasty.

joking aside, lets take a look at the comparison for snickers bar and a balance gold (approximately same size bar - snickers is a little bigger):

Calories:

Balance=210
Snickers=270

Fat:

balance = 7 gram
snickers = 14 gram

carb:

balance = 23g (13 are simple sugar)
snickers = 35g (30 are simple sugar) *ouch*

protien:

balance = 15 g
snickers = 4

vitamins:

balance= 100% rda of vitamins E and C, plenty vitamin A, D, B6, etc.. etc.. etc

snickers= none.

As you can see, theres a big difference between a "Candy" bar and an energy bar..

p.s Dont bother with the snickers crunch.. its smaller than the balance and has 400 calories, 21 g of fat.

As for powerbars - they have less fat, less protien, but 41 g carbs with 20 being from sugar, plus vitamins, etc.. unfortunately they taste like chalk.

Originally posted by patch70
su22, Those Detour bars (which are like Snickers) are for sale at all GNC stores. They are kind of expensive...

You can get them online pretty cheap. ANYTHING at GNC is expensive.

There are two other kinds of "candy" protein bars: One Way bars, which are like a Reese's peanut butter cup, and U-turn bars, which are like a Milky Way. All three taste AWESOME and I have not had any other protein bars since these came out.

The Detour bar is still my favorite. :)

Those wanting a good tasting Power Bar I have one for you. Get a Power Bar Protien Plus. Get the Vanilla Yogurt Flavor. They are extremly tasty. To me they taste like Candy. They are by far the best "bar" I have tasted. Plus they are about twice the size as a normal Power Bar.

Su - have you tried protein powder instead? Mix it in a fruit smoothie or chocolate almond drink (Breeze is the best). It works for me. I don't do those protein bars anymore because they are like candy bars and if you are addicted to candy bars you will become addicted to anything that tastes like candy bars. Eat a better diet and lose the candy/protein bars.

Originally posted by The Joker
haha. I've heard about this. I think they said it's something like 30g at a time [or in that region]. So I'm not going to be mixing it in with steak or anything...

by the way. don't get met-rx. it says on the packet; mix with half a pint of milk/water. you have to mix it with at least 3 times this, so you end up with about 3 huge glasses of foul tasting drink for something that's only about 30g of protein. very silly. i know there's other stuff in there too, but it's still very silly...
The "latest" I've seen on the carb/protein debate says that a four to one ratio of carb to protein results in fastest rate of carb conversion during exercise and best rate of muscle-sparing after exercise. It also seems that the protein content is much more important post-workout(of course) and the level of suggested protein during exercise is mostly dependent on gastro-intestinal effects. I take this to mean that a 4 to 1 ratio during exercise is ideal if you can tolerate the protein.

I remember reading the results of a few tests that have been done on a lot of those protein bars

the end result of most tests was that the protein bars almost always contained more fat and less protein than was claimed, sometimes the amount of fat was 2-3 times the label claim!!

As Ric pointed out there is no real good reason for eating a protein bar if you are primarily training for cycling (bodybuilding or weightlifting MAY be a different case)

besides i've never found one that didn't make me gag

Originally posted by Duckwah
I remember reading the results of a few tests that have been done on a lot of those protein bars

the end result of most tests was that the protein bars almost always contained more fat and less protein than was claimed, sometimes the amount of fat was 2-3 times the label claim!!

As Ric pointed out there is no real good reason for eating a protein bar if you are primarily training for cycling (bodybuilding or weightlifting MAY be a different case)

besides i've never found one that didn't make me gag

With all due respect, I just don't believe most of what this post says.

Labels with as much error as you pont out may certainly exist out there somewhere but in most countries such mislabeling would be criminally negligent.

As for the no real good reason for eating a protien bar... I think it might be a convenient way to get part of a body's daily requirement of protien some of the time, particularly when training stresses are very high or when you're short on time.

That you don't like them... I can't disagree with that one. :)

They are clearly not a staple. It's a mistake to think they're a meal replacement - particularly for a cyclist. There is room for them to play a role as a nutritional supplement should anyone who enjoys the taste and texture choose to do so.

tead of 1000kJ o
That's just wrong re: Met-Rx. It calls for 16 oz, which is just about right for a thick-ish shake made in a blender.

As for bars, ehhhhh. Avoid those w/ the fake sweeteners. If you do, then there are lots of good-tasting brands. Promax is good (but lots of sucrose), Balance Bar Gold comes in several great flavors. I ditto what was said about Power Bar. Luna Bars and Clif bars work, too!

I think that making your own bars from home would be the best solution. You can control the taste factor and you will know what is really going into your body. I have tried Powerbar before in the past and I only enjoyed maybe one flavor. What flavor of Promax do you recommend?

I love the Kind protein bars and I always try to pick up a big pack of them whenever I go to one of those giant outlet type stores, but I do not go that often so I do not eat them as much as I wish. They have all sorts of nuts though, and I have always tried to get my protein from sources like nuts so it works well for me, and they are delicious.

Reactions: abuain007
I love the Kind protein bars and I always try to pick up a big pack of them whenever I go to one of those giant outlet type stores, but I do not go that often so I do not eat them as much as I wish. They have all sorts of nuts though, and I have always tried to get my protein from sources like nuts so it works well for me, and they are delicious.
I enjoy almonds especially. It's hard to find bars that are packed full of almonds. I used to buy Kind protein bars on Amazon. They are defiantly worth the money you are paying for. I have always wanted to try foreign bars. Like a Chinese brand protein bar.

The majority of protein bars in the stores are very inferior. They use cheap protein, all kinds of unknown fats, and who knows what else. I make my own, very easy recipe, and much cheaper. Here is the recipe:
3 1/2 cups of oats
1 1/2 cups of non-fat dry milk (I use Carnation blend)
4 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder
2 egg whites
1 cup of sugar free maple syrup
1/4 cup of natural apple sauce
1/4 cup of orange juice
mix all ingredients in a bowl. Use a 9x12 cookie sheet. Spread evenly in sheet, spray w/non-stick cooking spray first. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Cut into 10 individual bars, they taste great, and it's all natural ingredients. Enjoy!!!!!
Oats is one of those wonder foods that are too often underrated and best of all if prepared right they can really be delicious. Oats are my go to food if I want energy and endurance.