Best Bent for Bad Back

Alan Mushnick

Guest
I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain
going down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on
the upper back would be less stress on the lower spine. Something like a SWB Bachetta.
Unfortunately there are no bent shops close to me. Are there any LWB bents with a more supine
postion? Alan Mushnick

I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain
going down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on
the upper back would be less stress on the lower spine. Something like a SWB Bachetta.
Unfortunately there are no bent shops close to me. Are there any LWB bents with a more supine
postion? Alan Mushnick

Alan, You're going to find this is a highly individual thing. For me more reclined is less jarring
to my lower back, ironically, the same could be said when I used to ride DF's and was bent over in
the drops. To a certain extent, both defer compression of my lumbar/sacral region. Also, on the DF I
could get up off the saddle on bad bumps. bill g

Alan Mushnick wrote:

> I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain
> going down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on
> the upper back would be less stress on the lower spine. Something like a SWB Bachetta.
> Unfortunately there are no bent shops close to me. Are there any LWB bents with a more supine
> postion? Alan Mushnick

I think a RANS VIVO would be a good choice. RANS seats (at least my V-Rex seat) are back friendly
and the Vivo's suspension would add considerable cush to your tush. "Alan Mushnick"

Alan Mushnick wrote:

> I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain
> going down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on
> the upper back would be less stress on the lower spine. Something like a SWB Bachetta.
> Unfortunately there are no bent shops close to me. Are there any LWB bents with a more supine
> postion? Alan Mushnick

I think a RANS VIVO would be a good choice. RANS seats (at least my V-Rex seat) are back friendly
and the Vivo's suspension would add considerable cush to your tush. "Alan Mushnick"
> I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain
> going down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on
> the upper back would be less stress on the lower spine. Something like a SWB Bachetta.
> Unfortunately there are no bent shops close to me. Are there any LWB bents with a more supine
> postion? Alan Mushnick

[email protected] (Alan Mushnick) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain
> going down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on
> the upper back would be less stress on the lower spine. Something like a SWB Bachetta.
> Unfortunately there are no bent shops close to me. Are there any LWB bents with a more supine
> postion? Alan Mushnick

The one that comes to mind immediately is the RANS V2. The higher bottom bracket tends to have you
recline the seat back and the RANS seat can go back a long way. I have a bad back too and find that
the more laidback I am the less stress there is. My current steed is a Barcroft Virginia GT which is
designed to be laidback. Before that I rode a RANS V-Rex in a reclined position as well.

[email protected] (Alan Mushnick) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain
> going down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on
> the upper back would be less stress on the lower spine. Something like a SWB Bachetta.
> Unfortunately there are no bent shops close to me. Are there any LWB bents with a more supine
> postion? Alan Mushnick

The one that comes to mind immediately is the RANS V2. The higher bottom bracket tends to have you
recline the seat back and the RANS seat can go back a long way. I have a bad back too and find that
the more laidback I am the less stress there is. My current steed is a Barcroft Virginia GT which is
designed to be laidback. Before that I rode a RANS V-Rex in a reclined position as well.

Alan, I thought you live in NJ. If you're near Philly (I vaguely remember you live south of me, I'm
in Millburn) you could check out Jay's Pedal Power http://www.jayspedalpower.com/ They have several
types of recumbents. If you live further north than I think, why not contact NorthEast Recumbents?
http://www.northeastrecumbents.com/ Johannes Groessbrink is very friendly, knowledgeable, and easy
to deal with.

Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider

On 16 Jan 2003 16:01:13 -0800, [email protected] (Alan Mushnick) wrote:

>I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain going
>down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on the
>upper back would be less stress on the lower spine.

In addition to recline/position, bike suspension is a consideration.

You want to relieve pressure on the nerve root to relieve leg pain. Road shock transmitted to the
lower back may make the problem worse by compressing the nerve root. A different body position might
help, but if you're considering a new bike, I'd make sure to test ride it for several miles over
rough road conditions.

I have a L5-S1 HNP diagnosed in '98 when over a two week period, I lost ~75% of muscle control to my
ankle. The condition was aggravated, if not caused by upright bike riding. Everyone's experiences
are different, but I got relief from specific exercises designed to migrate the disc off of the
nerve root. A few sessions on the 'rack' (stretching) may also have helped initially. An
understanding of the anatomy of the lower back helped, too. No more upright bike riding for me!

I bought a BikeE AT, and six months after my GP thought I'd need surgery, I was riding 25-30 miles
without stopping. A little more than a year ago, I bought a Tour Easy. I'm definitely faster on the
TE than the BikeE, but I miss the suspension sometimes.

There are probably things you can do to make the Tour Easy easier on your back. I presume you
have the Koolback seat on your Tour Easy. You might try adding a lumbar 'pillow' fastened to the
seat back to maintain a curve in your lower back. You can also recline the TE seat over a fairly
wide range...

On the other hand, a motion to buy a new bike is always in order! %^)

Good luck,

Jon Meinecke

Alan Mushnick wrote:

> I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain
> going down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on
> the upper back would be less stress on the lower spine. Something like a SWB Bachetta.
> Unfortunately there are no bent shops close to me. Are there any LWB bents with a more supine
> postion? Alan Mushnick

On 16 Jan 2003 16:01:13 -0800, [email protected] (Alan Mushnick) wrote:

>I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain going
>down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on the
>upper back would be less stress on the lower spine.

In addition to recline/position, bike suspension is a consideration.

You want to relieve pressure on the nerve root to relieve leg pain. Road shock transmitted to the
lower back may make the problem worse by compressing the nerve root. A different body position might
help, but if you're considering a new bike, I'd make sure to test ride it for several miles over
rough road conditions.

I have a L5-S1 HNP diagnosed in '98 when over a two week period, I lost ~75% of muscle control to my
ankle. The condition was aggravated, if not caused by upright bike riding. Everyone's experiences
are different, but I got relief from specific exercises designed to migrate the disc off of the
nerve root. A few sessions on the 'rack' (stretching) may also have helped initially. An
understanding of the anatomy of the lower back helped, too. No more upright bike riding for me!

I bought a BikeE AT, and six months after my GP thought I'd need surgery, I was riding 25-30 miles
without stopping. A little more than a year ago, I bought a Tour Easy. I'm definitely faster on the
TE than the BikeE, but I miss the suspension sometimes.

There are probably things you can do to make the Tour Easy easier on your back. I presume you
have the Koolback seat on your Tour Easy. You might try adding a lumbar 'pillow' fastened to the
seat back to maintain a curve in your lower back. You can also recline the TE seat over a fairly
wide range...

On the other hand, a motion to buy a new bike is always in order! %^)

Good luck,

Jon Meinecke

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Alan
Mushnick) wrote:

> Are there any LWB bents with a more supine postion? Alan Mushnick

I also have a bad back (partially crushed L4 vertebra due to close encounter of the automotive
kind). I am very comfortable on my Rotator Pursuit. The Pursuit is a LWB with a full mesh seat
supported on the bottom with bungie cords. The bungies and the long wheelbase really soak up the
shocks, preventing jarring the spine. I've never had recumbent butt on this bike, and only
occasional back pain.

The standard Rotator seat is fairly upright. Mine is a custom version that is more laid back. The
standard seat could be laid back more, but the front of the seat mesh then interferes with your
thighs. I think this could be alleviated by unlacing the front of the mesh and folding it under.

The only other LWB I know of with a fairly laid-back seat is the RANS
V2. I've never ridden one, but would like to give one an extended test ride.

No LWB will be as laid back as, say, a Strada or a Barcroft. Those bikes have high bottom brackets
so your riding position isn't too open. The Pursuit and V2 have their BBs slightly above seat
height, so if you go too reclined your power will drop. I suspect that a LWB with a really high BB
would be hard to control.

Bill Hole Rotator Pursuit BikeE E2 1972 Falcon San Remo

--
Bill Hole [email protected]

Mushnick) wrote:

> Are there any LWB bents with a more supine postion? Alan Mushnick

I also have a bad back (partially crushed L4 vertebra due to close encounter of the automotive
kind). I am very comfortable on my Rotator Pursuit. The Pursuit is a LWB with a full mesh seat
supported on the bottom with bungie cords. The bungies and the long wheelbase really soak up the
shocks, preventing jarring the spine. I've never had recumbent butt on this bike, and only
occasional back pain.

The standard Rotator seat is fairly upright. Mine is a custom version that is more laid back. The
standard seat could be laid back more, but the front of the seat mesh then interferes with your
thighs. I think this could be alleviated by unlacing the front of the mesh and folding it under.

The only other LWB I know of with a fairly laid-back seat is the RANS
V2. I've never ridden one, but would like to give one an extended test ride.

No LWB will be as laid back as, say, a Strada or a Barcroft. Those bikes have high bottom brackets
so your riding position isn't too open. The Pursuit and V2 have their BBs slightly above seat
height, so if you go too reclined your power will drop. I suspect that a LWB with a really high BB
would be hard to control.

Bill Hole Rotator Pursuit BikeE E2 1972 Falcon San Remo

--
Bill Hole [email protected]

[email protected] (Alan Mushnick) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Tour Easy, and a herniated disc. Actually, riding doesn't seem to aggravate the pain
> going down my leg. I was wondering if a bent with a more supine position, allowing more weight on
> the upper back would be less stress on the lower spine. Something like a SWB Bachetta.
> Unfortunately there are no bent shops close to me. Are there any LWB bents with a more supine
> postion? Alan Mushnick

Alan:

Very sorry to hear about your back. I have lived with back problems all my adult life, so I truly
understand what you are going through. Several years ago I had a discectomy and laminectomy for a
herniated L4-L5 disc. The surgery resolved an agonizingly painful problem. Nevertheless, I have an
occasional muscle spasm in my back to remind me that my problems are not all behind me, so to speak.

Is you disc currently herniated? If so, I would hold off on any changes at all until you have
resolved the current problem. Give it time to calm down and see if you can get functioning again
with out pain.

I have been riding a Tour Easy for about three months. I have my coolback seat slightly reclined
(the bike shop had to file off the ends of the seatback stays a bit to make it work). The tilt
really increases the lumbar suppport dramatically.

I was hoping when I bought it that the TE would resolve my bouts with muscle spasms, but in late
December I had another episode. I took it very easy for a couple of days, ate lots of Ibuprofen, and
I was back on the TE in about 8 days.

So, get well, tilt, and if all else fails go shopping

Good Luck.

I had good luck by putting foam inside my BikeE and Linear seat backs to provide more lumbar
support. My project utility bike uses a water ski for the seat back. I lean it back and use foam to
provide the support. It works well and foam on the turned up part of the ski tip acts as a head
rest. Also the seat back is quick disconnect for travel. I can take the seat back into restaurants
and movies to make all seats recliners.

I am tickled with the M5 seat. Those Dutch guys have done some work on seat design. For me it is
good to lean as far back as possible and have suspension. I didn't do anything to the M5 seat. Dian
had her seat tilted forward and added extra foam to the upholstery.

I don't think we (bad back guys) have standard injuries, so we can't all use the same seat.

For me, laid back with suspension is the best. Laid back is also FAST.
--
Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear and our M5 tandem.

"a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Alan, You're going to find this is a highly individual thing. For me more reclined is less jarring
> to my lower back, ironically, the same could be said when I used to ride DF's and was bent over in
> the drops. To a certain extent, both defer compression of my lumbar/sacral region. Also, on the DF
> I could get up off the saddle on bad bumps. bill g

Yeah, I remember when I used to ride the DF. Even when I could barely walk, I could ride the bike
all day and would forget all about my back - until it was time to get off.