Best Big Boy Bike?

MJRigg

Mar 20, 2010
Hi, all! I'd appreciate some advice from the pros on this one.

I REALLY want to get back into biking, but I've fallen out of shape and spend all my time (at work mostly) sitting at a desk. When I do ride I like to ride paved trails or tight gravel.

I admit I don't know anything about bicycles (besides the number of wheels LOL), and hope you can help me "get fitted." I'm 6'1" and 280 lbs. Can anyone recommend a style/type or even a brand of bike that will help me with my quest of Total Biking Fitness?

Thanks so much!

you have any ideas about budget?

were in the same boat 6'1" 280 pounds been inactive for past 10 years. I'm just getting back into it. so interested in what the community has to say.

Gl mate

hey guys welcome to the forum. Since you haven't been biking/active in a while I would lean towards a Hybrid bike.A Hybrid bike will work on paths and you can also use it on the road. I would look at the trek 7000/7200/7300, Giant Sedona, Fuji Crosstown and Jamis explorer These bikes are not expensive you can find the base model under $350 and work your way up. They all have big sizes's 22.5" -25" so you can find something that fits you. Hybrids are a good mix of road/off road so you can see what you like more. You ride in a more relax position so you can ride for a longer time with out any pain. I would visit your local bike shops and take a few of these bikes for a ride. The most important factor in buying a bike is fit. You Must buy a bike that fit you and that you feel comfortable riding.

jagonz456 said:
hey guys welcome to the forum. Since you haven't been biking/active in a while I would lean towards a Hybrid bike.A Hybrid bike will work on paths and you can also use it on the road. I would look at the trek 7000/7200/7300, Giant Sedona, Fuji Crosstown and Jamis explorer These bikes are not expensive you can find the base model under $350 and work your way up. They all have big sizes's 22.5" -25" so you can find something that fits you. Hybrids are a good mix of road/off road so you can see what you like more. You ride in a more relax position so you can ride for a longer time with out any pain. I would visit your local bike shops and take a few of these bikes for a ride. The most important factor in buying a bike is fit. You Must buy a bike that fit you and that you feel comfortable riding.

Thanks! Sounds like great advice... I'm going bike shopping after work... We'll see what I come up with.

Second the advice above. I'm a Trek fan, but there are other makers who will have similar offerings at similar price points if you're interested in another make, or the shop you're dealing with carries different brands.

When I started back last year, I bought a Trek 7.3FX--it was the perfect bike for me to start back on. Well made, fairly light, decent components, and the straight bar set up was kindly to my back starting out.

I recently added a road and mountain bike to the stable, as the 7.3 really helped spur my interest in cycling.

I can't emphasize making sure you get a bike that fits you properly--it will make every ride something to look forward to!

Bill