Best Bike After Bypass Surgery?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob Newman, May 9, 2004.

  1. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    I have just had open heart surgery and have been riding a traditional road
    bike with drop down bars. As this puts a lot of stress on your chest would
    I be better off to go to a recumbent? Or will I heal-up in the long run to
    continue with what I have?

    --
    Thanks in advance... Bob

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Bob Newman wrote:
    > I have just had open heart surgery and have been riding a traditional
    > road bike with drop down bars. As this puts a lot of stress on your
    > chest would I be better off to go to a recumbent? Or will I heal-up
    > in the long run to continue with what I have?

    We can only advise you as to meds and diet.

    Ask your cardiologist about the bikes.

    Bill "seriously, good luck" S.

  3. Bill Blum

    Bill Blum Guest

    Bob Newman wrote:
    > I have just had open heart surgery and have been riding a traditional road
    > bike with drop down bars. As this puts a lot of stress on your chest would
    > I be better off to go to a recumbent? Or will I heal-up in the long run to
    > continue with what I have?

    Go ask your doctor before you contemplate getting back on a bike....

  4. halvo

    halvo Guest

    i did full training in general surgery, including time on the cardiac
    surgery service, and now i am training in reconstructive plastic surgery
    - so i have seen many patients with sternotomy wounds of all kinds -
    usually normally healing wounds, but i have also reconstructed infected
    sternums that have fallen apart. assuming normal healing, you should be
    able to bike no problem in 2 months time. you may have some aches/pains,
    but those should get better as time goes by. i wouldn't jump cliffs, but
    road biking should be fine. enjoy! eric

    --

  5. "Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have just had open heart surgery and have been riding a traditional road
    > bike with drop down bars. As this puts a lot of stress on your chest would
    > I be better off to go to a recumbent? Or will I heal-up in the long run to
    > continue with what I have?

    I had double bypass in 1996 was driving my car a in 2 weeks and
    riding a bike with uprite handle bars in 3weeks. Dr said to wait for a
    month but I felt fine after the staples were removed from my chest and
    leg
    I didn't push it and had no problems at all, ask your DR his opinion,
    as I'm sure it may be diff for each person

  6. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    Thanks... Bob

    "halvo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > i did full training in general surgery, including time on the cardiac
    > surgery service, and now i am training in reconstructive plastic surgery
    > - so i have seen many patients with sternotomy wounds of all kinds -
    > usually normally healing wounds, but i have also reconstructed infected
    > sternums that have fallen apart. assuming normal healing, you should be
    > able to bike no problem in 2 months time. you may have some aches/pains,
    > but those should get better as time goes by. i wouldn't jump cliffs, but
    > road biking should be fine. enjoy! eric
    >

    > --

  7. Boston Rob

    Boston Rob Guest

    I had a triple bypass and the repair of a hole in my heart in early March.
    I returned to cycling last week using my hybrid. The cardiologist told me
    that all should be healed in three months and could cycle without
    restriction. I'm more concerned about dumping than pressure from the road
    or hybrid bars.

    Good luck!

  8. "Boston Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > I had a triple bypass and the repair of a hole in my heart in early March.
    > I returned to cycling last week using my hybrid. The cardiologist told me
    > that all should be healed in three months and could cycle without
    > restriction. I'm more concerned about dumping than pressure from the road
    > or hybrid bars.
    >
    > Good luck!

    The positive thing is that they shave your leg so you already have a
    headstart in the shaving department.

    I had major abdominal surgery in early march. I'm back on the bike since
    late april, but for me I still worry about a fall, more than normal. Aside
    from that it's fine but I'm not quite where I would be at this time of year
    in terms of strength.

  9. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    Thanks guys. I'm anticipating already.

    Bob

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Boston Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]_s03...
    > > I had a triple bypass and the repair of a hole in my heart in early

    March.
    > > I returned to cycling last week using my hybrid. The cardiologist told

    me
    > > that all should be healed in three months and could cycle without
    > > restriction. I'm more concerned about dumping than pressure from the

    road
    > > or hybrid bars.
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    > >

    > The positive thing is that they shave your leg so you already have a
    > headstart in the shaving department.
    >
    > I had major abdominal surgery in early march. I'm back on the bike since
    > late april, but for me I still worry about a fall, more than normal. Aside
    > from that it's fine but I'm not quite where I would be at this time of

    year
    > in terms of strength.

  10. >I had a triple bypass

    Well, we have the "Triple By-Pass" ride here in Colorado.

    120 miles from Evergreen to Avon over Squaw (11,140 ft.), Loveland (11,990
    ft.), Swan Mountain and Vail (10,560 ft.) passes, with over 10,000 ft. of
    lung-busting gain in elevation!

    July 10th.

    It would be neat if someone with a triple by pass rode the triple by pass. I
    am sure it has been done (I guess). Of course, this may be a bit more than you
    might want to take on. I know, at 64 yo, I have no desire!!

    see:

    Teamevergreen.org

    http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
    (Colorado rental condo)

    http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
    (Family Web Page)

  11. "Denver C. Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >I had a triple bypass

    > Well, we have the "Triple By-Pass" ride here in Colorado.
    >
    > 120 miles from Evergreen to Avon over Squaw (11,140 ft.), Loveland (11,990
    > ft.), Swan Mountain and Vail (10,560 ft.) passes, with over 10,000 ft. of
    > lung-busting gain in elevation!
    >
    > July 10th.
    >
    > It would be neat if someone with a triple by pass rode the triple by pass.

    > am sure it has been done (I guess). Of course, this may be a bit more

    than you
    > might want to take on. I know, at 64 yo, I have no desire!!
    >
    > see:

    That makes me think of those rides they advertise in Procycling, to raise
    money for some asthma foundation. ONe year it was from Macchu Picchu to Lake
    titicaca, or the mountains of ecuador. I have no idea what it is this year.
    But it sounds like you'd have asthma by the end of one of those rides, if
    you didn't have it at the start!

  12. "Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks guys. I'm anticipating already.
    >
    > Bob

    Absolutely- just get out there and enjoy the fact that you're on the bike
    and not in a hospital or worse... my dad his his bypass in the summer. But
    at least he was able to go walk outside when he started feeling better.

    After this winter I realized that if chocolate is what people eat in
    heaven,then hospital food is what people eat in hell.