Best Bike After Bypass Surgery?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob Newman, May 9, 2004.

  1. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    I have just had open heart surgery and have been riding a
    traditional road bike with drop down bars. As this puts a
    lot of stress on your chest would I be better off to go to a
    recumbent? Or will I heal-up in the long run to continue
    with what I have?

    --
    Thanks in advance... Bob

    Tags:

  2. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Bob Newman wrote:
    > I have just had open heart surgery and have been riding a
    > traditional road bike with drop down bars. As this puts a
    > lot of stress on your chest would I be better off to go to
    > a recumbent? Or will I heal-up in the long run to continue
    > with what I have?

    We can only advise you as to meds and diet.

    Ask your cardiologist about the bikes.

    Bill "seriously, good luck" S.

  3. halvo

    halvo New Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2004
    i did full training in general surgery, including time on the cardiac surgery service, and now i am training in reconstructive plastic surgery - so i have seen many patients with sternotomy wounds of all kinds - usually normally healing wounds, but i have also reconstructed infected sternums that have fallen apart. assuming normal healing, you should be able to bike no problem in 2 months time. you may have some aches/pains, but those should get better as time goes by. i wouldn't jump cliffs, but road biking should be fine. enjoy! eric

  4. Bill Blum

    Bill Blum Guest

    Bob Newman wrote:
    > I have just had open heart surgery and have been riding a
    > traditional road bike with drop down bars. As this puts a
    > lot of stress on your chest would I be better off to go to
    > a recumbent? Or will I heal-up in the long run to continue
    > with what I have?

    Go ask your doctor before you contemplate getting back on
    a bike....

  5. "Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have just had open heart surgery and have been riding a
    > traditional road bike with drop down bars. As this puts a
    > lot of stress on your chest would I be better off to go to
    > a recumbent? Or will I heal-up in the long run to continue
    > with what I have?

    I had double bypass in 1996 was driving my car a in 2 weeks
    and riding a bike with uprite handle bars in 3weeks. Dr said
    to wait for a month but I felt fine after the staples were
    removed from my chest and leg I didn't push it and had no
    problems at all, ask your DR his opinion, as I'm sure it may
    be diff for each person

  6. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    Thanks... Bob

    "halvo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i did full training in general surgery, including time on
    > the cardiac surgery service, and now i am training in
    > reconstructive plastic surgery
    > - so i have seen many patients with sternotomy wounds of
    > all kinds - usually normally healing wounds, but i have
    > also reconstructed infected sternums that have fallen
    > apart. assuming normal healing, you should be able to
    > bike no problem in 2 months time. you may have some
    > aches/pains, but those should get better as time goes
    > by. i wouldn't jump cliffs, but road biking should be
    > fine. enjoy! eric
    >

    > --

  7. Boston Rob

    Boston Rob Guest

    I had a triple bypass and the repair of a hole in my heart
    in early March. I returned to cycling last week using my
    hybrid. The cardiologist told me that all should be healed
    in three months and could cycle without restriction. I'm
    more concerned about dumping than pressure from the road or
    hybrid bars.

    Good luck!

  8. "Boston Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > I had a triple bypass and the repair of a hole in my heart
    > in early March. I returned to cycling last week using my
    > hybrid. The cardiologist told me that all should be healed
    > in three months and could cycle without restriction. I'm
    > more concerned about dumping than pressure from the road
    > or hybrid bars.
    >
    > Good luck!

    The positive thing is that they shave your leg so you
    already have a headstart in the shaving department.

    I had major abdominal surgery in early march. I'm back on
    the bike since late april, but for me I still worry about
    a fall, more than normal. Aside from that it's fine but
    I'm not quite where I would be at this time of year in
    terms of strength.

  9. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    Thanks guys. I'm anticipating already.

    Bob

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]1.uunet.ca...

    > "Boston Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]_s03...
    > > I had a triple bypass and the repair of a hole in my
    > > heart in early
    March.
    > > I returned to cycling last week using my hybrid. The
    > > cardiologist told
    me
    > > that all should be healed in three months and could
    > > cycle without restriction. I'm more concerned about
    > > dumping than pressure from the
    road
    > > or hybrid bars.
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    > >
    > The positive thing is that they shave your leg so you
    > already have a headstart in the shaving department.
    >
    > I had major abdominal surgery in early march. I'm back on
    > the bike since late april, but for me I still worry about
    > a fall, more than normal. Aside from that it's fine but
    > I'm not quite where I would be at this time of
    year
    > in terms of strength.

  10. "Denver C. Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >I had a triple bypass
    >
    > Well, we have the "Triple By-Pass" ride here in Colorado.
    >
    > 120 miles from Evergreen to Avon over Squaw (11,140 ft.),
    > Loveland (11,990 ft.), Swan Mountain and Vail (10,560 ft.)
    > passes, with over 10,000 ft. of lung-busting gain in
    > elevation!
    >
    > July 10th.
    >
    > It would be neat if someone with a triple by pass rode the
    > triple by pass.
    > am sure it has been done (I guess). Of course, this may be
    > a bit more
    than you
    > might want to take on. I know, at 64 yo, I have no
    > desire!!
    >
    > see:

    That makes me think of those rides they advertise in
    Procycling, to raise money for some asthma foundation. ONe
    year it was from Macchu Picchu to Lake titicaca, or the
    mountains of ecuador. I have no idea what it is this year.
    But it sounds like you'd have asthma by the end of one of
    those rides, if you didn't have it at the start!

  11. "Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks guys. I'm anticipating already.
    >
    > Bob

    Absolutely- just get out there and enjoy the fact that
    you're on the bike and not in a hospital or worse... my dad
    his his bypass in the summer. But at least he was able to go
    walk outside when he started feeling better.

    After this winter I realized that if chocolate is what
    people eat in heaven,then hospital food is what people
    eat in hell.