Best Bike for $4k?

Umterp

Guest
I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled. Any ideas? I'm
partial to Ti and steel.

Thanks,

Dave

UMTERP wrote:

> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled. Any ideas? I'm
> partial to Ti and steel.

< http://x-eyed.com/aero1.html >

[Nomex suit on ;)]

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> >> < http://x-eyed.com/aero1.html >
>
> Tom, how would you like it if I were to go over to your bent newsgroup and say things like that?

Well, this is rec.bicycles.misc; the original poster asked for recommendations for a bicycle, and
the link lead to something that is a bicycle, so I see no grounds for complaining.

If this was rec.bicycles.uprights or rec.bicycles.fabriziosfantasyworld, yes, then my posting would
be out of place.

"UMTERP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is
totalled.
> Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

I found a 71 Raleigh International with Reynolds 531 tubing (steel), the grooviest chromed lugs and
Campy NR componants for $100 at a yard sale. That would give you $3900 left over. I could live for
two months without working on that. You could ride all day for the rest of the summer. Time is the
greatest wealth.

ride your bike wrote:

> "UMTERP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is
> totalled.
> > Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave
>
> I found a 71 Raleigh International with Reynolds 531 tubing (steel), the grooviest chromed lugs
> and Campy NR componants for $100 at a yard sale. That would give you $3900 left over. I could live
> for two months without working on that. You could ride all day for the rest of the summer. Time is
> the greatest wealth.

Unfortunately, contemporary US society does not agree - at least those who count (employers).

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:13:57 GMT, "ride your bike" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I found a 71 Raleigh International with Reynolds 531 tubing (steel), the grooviest chromed lugs and
>Campy NR componants for $100 at a yard sale. That would give you $3900 left over. I could live for
>two months without working on that. You could ride all day for the rest of the summer. Time is the
>greatest wealth.

Assuming that $4k is insurance money, you only get it if you actually spend it.

Jasper

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:13:42 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>UMTERP wrote:
>>
>> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled. Any ideas? I'm
>> partial to Ti and steel.
>
>< http://x-eyed.com/aero1.html >

For that kinda dough, shouldn't it have a fairing? And what's with the chain crossing itself in two
places? That can't be good, can it?

>[Nomex suit on ;)]

BTW, that remark clearly illustrates you knew you were doing something wrong ;)

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:13:42 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
> >UMTERP wrote:
> >>
> >> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled. Any ideas? I'm
> >> partial to Ti and steel.
> >
> >< http://x-eyed.com/aero1.html >
>
> For that kinda dough, shouldn't it have a fairing? And what's with the chain crossing itself in
> two places? That can't be good, can it?
>
> >[Nomex suit on ;)]
>
> BTW, that remark clearly illustrates you knew you were doing something wrong ;)

Jasper,

Actually $4000 US is not bad for a US made titanium frame recumbent with that level of components. A
carbon fiber or aramid composite tailbox would make the bike faster on all but the routes with very
steep hills.
[1]

Chain idlers are one of the disadvantages of recumbents vs. uprights, but the Aero has a better
chainline than most.

I understand that many do not like recumbent evangelists [2], so I was trying not to offend anyone
(with the possible exception of Fabrizio) since recumbent vs. upright flame wars serve little
purpose. The intent of the smiley emoticon was for my post to be taken with mild amusement by those
with no interest in recumbents. However, I will still maintain that my post was reasonable as it was
about a bicycle with a price close to $4000 US.

[2] The stronger the rider the less the relative penalty would be, since more time will be spent at
speeds where the aerodynamic advantage would outweigh the weight penalty.
[3] I never do this in person.

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

: For that kinda dough, shouldn't it have a fairing? And what's with the chain crossing itself in
: two places? That can't be good, can it?

Maybe one could get a nice lowracer with full fairing for $4000 + overseas shipping :eek:) Much
faster on the flat than this one, but a tailbox might be more practical, especially if you have
lots of wind.

Usually you can get a pretty good recumbent for much less than 4k, so the usual price disadvantage
is not there. For $5k you could even get a velomobile... Though dunno if the original poster would
be interested in recumbents, is Litespeed a road bike?