Best Bike for $4k?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Umterp, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Umterp

    Umterp Guest

    I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled. Any ideas? I'm
    partial to Ti and steel.

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    UMTERP wrote:

    > I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled. Any ideas? I'm
    > partial to Ti and steel.

    < http://x-eyed.com/aero1.html >

    [Nomex suit on ;)]

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

    > "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > >> < http://x-eyed.com/aero1.html >
    >
    > Tom, how would you like it if I were to go over to your bent newsgroup and say things like that?

    Well, this is rec.bicycles.misc; the original poster asked for recommendations for a bicycle, and
    the link lead to something that is a bicycle, so I see no grounds for complaining.

    If this was rec.bicycles.uprights or rec.bicycles.fabriziosfantasyworld, yes, then my posting would
    be out of place.

  4. "UMTERP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is
    totalled.
    > Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    I found a 71 Raleigh International with Reynolds 531 tubing (steel), the grooviest chromed lugs and
    Campy NR componants for $100 at a yard sale. That would give you $3900 left over. I could live for
    two months without working on that. You could ride all day for the rest of the summer. Time is the
    greatest wealth.

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    ride your bike wrote:

    > "UMTERP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is
    > totalled.
    > > Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Dave
    >
    > I found a 71 Raleigh International with Reynolds 531 tubing (steel), the grooviest chromed lugs
    > and Campy NR componants for $100 at a yard sale. That would give you $3900 left over. I could live
    > for two months without working on that. You could ride all day for the rest of the summer. Time is
    > the greatest wealth.

    Unfortunately, contemporary US society does not agree - at least those who count (employers).

  6. On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:13:57 GMT, "ride your bike" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I found a 71 Raleigh International with Reynolds 531 tubing (steel), the grooviest chromed lugs and
    >Campy NR componants for $100 at a yard sale. That would give you $3900 left over. I could live for
    >two months without working on that. You could ride all day for the rest of the summer. Time is the
    >greatest wealth.

    Assuming that $4k is insurance money, you only get it if you actually spend it.

    Jasper

  7. On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:13:42 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >UMTERP wrote:
    >>
    >> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled. Any ideas? I'm
    >> partial to Ti and steel.
    >
    >< http://x-eyed.com/aero1.html >

    For that kinda dough, shouldn't it have a fairing? And what's with the chain crossing itself in two
    places? That can't be good, can it?

    >[Nomex suit on ;)]

    BTW, that remark clearly illustrates you knew you were doing something wrong ;)

    Jasper

  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Jasper Janssen wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:13:42 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >UMTERP wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled. Any ideas? I'm
    > >> partial to Ti and steel.
    > >
    > >< http://x-eyed.com/aero1.html >
    >
    > For that kinda dough, shouldn't it have a fairing? And what's with the chain crossing itself in
    > two places? That can't be good, can it?
    >
    > >[Nomex suit on ;)]
    >
    > BTW, that remark clearly illustrates you knew you were doing something wrong ;)

    Jasper,

    Actually $4000 US is not bad for a US made titanium frame recumbent with that level of components. A
    carbon fiber or aramid composite tailbox would make the bike faster on all but the routes with very
    steep hills.
    [1]

    Chain idlers are one of the disadvantages of recumbents vs. uprights, but the Aero has a better
    chainline than most.

    I understand that many do not like recumbent evangelists [2], so I was trying not to offend anyone
    (with the possible exception of Fabrizio) since recumbent vs. upright flame wars serve little
    purpose. The intent of the smiley emoticon was for my post to be taken with mild amusement by those
    with no interest in recumbents. However, I will still maintain that my post was reasonable as it was
    about a bicycle with a price close to $4000 US.

    [2] The stronger the rider the less the relative penalty would be, since more time will be spent at
    speeds where the aerodynamic advantage would outweigh the weight penalty.
    [3] I never do this in person.

  9. Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

    : For that kinda dough, shouldn't it have a fairing? And what's with the chain crossing itself in
    : two places? That can't be good, can it?

    Maybe one could get a nice lowracer with full fairing for $4000 + overseas shipping :eek:) Much
    faster on the flat than this one, but a tailbox might be more practical, especially if you have
    lots of wind.

    Usually you can get a pretty good recumbent for much less than 4k, so the usual price disadvantage
    is not there. For $5k you could even get a velomobile... Though dunno if the original poster would
    be interested in recumbents, is Litespeed a road bike?