Bike buying advice · Public discussion

Best bike for $500.00?

Started by Fastboat Tough · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,257 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
16 February 2010
Last activity
17 February 2010
Original author
Fastboat Tough
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,257
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi!
    A little help here please. Need a new bike, narrowed down to 2 bikes, on a strict $500.00 budget. But have been away from the equipment/components for a longtime. My local shop owner (we know each other from the Navy.) thinks I should get the DAWES (USA) Lighting 1500 over the WINDSOR Bristol because of his concerns over "SO" Ht. as my last bike (see profile) outgrew me. Here are the links from Bikes Direct. And this is where I'll be buying it from and my LBS (Terry) knows this as I've indicated above.
    Road Bikes - Windsor Bristol
    Sprint Tri - DawesLightning1500
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_record_x.htm
    Don't think I can make the Motobecane am curious for reaction but might be a bike to rate the other two against.
    WINDSOR Geo is 59cm w/32.5" SO.
    DAWES Geo (XL Frame) 58cm w/33.5"SO.
    Terry is more concerned with fit with good components that's why he likes the DAWES due to the frame design. And yes Terry would love to sell me a $599.00 TREK but with tax and setup I'd be at $699.00+. Just would appreciate SIMPLE recommendations.
    Thanks!
    Pat

  2. Simple suggestion: buy used on eBay. Lots of good bikes available for $500US. And you'll get a lot more bike than you would buying new.

  3. Thanks, checked there before I posted nothing in my size at present . Also concerned about getting someone else's headache, at least I'll have a warranty to fall back on with a new one and both offer good warranties. Plus time is short, my window to purchase is the 23rd of this month thanks to Congress trying to "help" with the Consumer Protection legislation. My "sweet heart"credit program I have goes away for good the next day, anyway no more about that. That's my budget, timeline and the best I can find within those constraints unless someone has something better in mind. So please, respectfully, I need to stay focused here.
    THANKS!!
    Pat

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.