Best bike for an 8 yr old girl..

tes82

Mar 20, 2016
What kind of bike would you recommend for an 8 year old girl who has trouble riding one? We think she may have some slight brain damage due to lack of oxygen during an anaphylactic episode when she was 2 from a peanut allergy. She's being tested now due to different problems she has to see if this is the case. When she's riding a bike she can pedal for a little bit but it's like her mind forgets to keep doing the motion and her feet slip off. It's very frustrating for her and I'm wondering if they make any kind of bikes that might help her with this.

A tricycle?
A cheap bike with training wheels?
I would not overthink it, something simple.
Maybe a single-speed kids bike with training wheels might be a great start.

Training wheel assemblies tend to be flimsy, and I wouldn't trust one for an 8-year old.
Besides, they won't cure forgetfulness.
If she's that distracted, I don't think riding on the streets is a sensible idea anyhow.
There are several versions of pedals with foot retention systems. But anyone distracted enough not to remember to pedal seems unlikely to remember to unhook their feet when stopping, which would have every ride being interrupted by ungraceful topples as speed runs out.
Might work together with a trike though.
Most pedals with foot retention has a 9/16" axle thread. Keep that in mind if you pursue this route.
Maybe a trailer bike?
It looks like the rear half of a kids' bike that hook on to an adult's bike. Let the kid practice her pedalling while an adult provide balancing, steering and traffic awareness and all that.

You can take bike according to their sizes.For instance, the children between 8-14 yrs old need a bike whose diameter of their wheels is of 24 inch.

Buy the least expensive bike you can find because kids will abuse their bikes and then they will outgrow them in about 2 to maybe 3 years.

A cheap bike with training wheels?
Setting your kid out on a bike with training wheels is like setting her in front of the TV while you check your messages.

Coordinating pedaling and balance can be difficult. Where I work we recommend a two-pronged approach--a trike or Big Wheel to learn the pedaling motion and a balance bike, like the Strider (http://www.striderbikes.com/balance-bikes/16/strider-16-sport) to learn balance. And the Strider is available in larger sizes, with hand brakes.

After proficiency is gained separately, it's time to combine the skills on a standard bike at the child's own pace. If the hand brakes are working for her, this, in my opinion, is the coolest simple 20" kids' bike going: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...bikes/kids/precaliber-20-girls/p/1576001-2016. Get the boys' version in gender-neutral blue if she has a little brother to pass it down to.

I think that's ridiculas to spend $250 for a kids bike that is just going to get beat up or stolen. Now of course if you have so much money that $250 is lint in your pocket than great, but for the average person a simple less than $150 bike is fine for a kid, and the kid can learn how to ride that bike just as well as being on a $250 bike. Any small enough bike can be used for striding with, nothing magical there going on.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dynacraft-18-Boys-Krome-1.8-Bike/48520064

I think that's ridiculas to spend $250 for a kids bike that is just going to get beat up or stolen. Now of course if you have so much money that $250 is lint in your pocket than great, but for the average person a simple less than $150 bike is fine for a kid, and the kid can learn how to ride that bike just as well as being on a $250 bike. Any small enough bike can be used for striding with, nothing magical there going on.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dynacraft-18-Boys-Krome-1.8-Bike/48520064
It really depends on how financially well the family is doing and what not. 250$ may be a lot to use but to them it may be like a dollar currency ratio speaking. If the young kid is really looking to get into biking then I wouldn't mind forking over 250$ to make him happy.

I agree that $250 is a lot for a kids' bike. On the other hand it gives more riding pleasure and, after a couple seasons of use, you can clean it up and sell it for $125. Instead of throwing it away after one season. Around here, used Trek and Specialized kids' bikes are a hot item.

Setting your kid out on a bike with training wheels is like setting her in front of the TV while you check your messages.

Coordinating pedaling and balance can be difficult. Where I work we recommend a two-pronged approach--a trike or Big Wheel to learn the pedaling motion and a balance bike, like the Strider (http://www.striderbikes.com/balance-bikes/16/strider-16-sport) to learn balance. And the Strider is available in larger sizes, with hand brakes.

After proficiency is gained separately, it's time to combine the skills on a standard bike at the child's own pace. If the hand brakes are working for her, this, in my opinion, is the coolest simple 20" kids' bike going: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...bikes/kids/precaliber-20-girls/p/1576001-2016. Get the boys' version in gender-neutral blue if she has a little brother to pass it down to.

No it's not. WTF does a bike have to do with TV and checking messages.
My mom brought me a bike with training wheels and let me loose in the backyard.
Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes kids need to learn and do things on their own without people hovering over them.
Sometimes they have to fall down a few times to learn how not too.
That strider bike is a big stupid waste of money.

No it's not. WTF does a bike have to do with TV and checking messages.
Read between the lines.

Training wheels teach the kid to do exactly the opposite of what they need to ride on two wheels, leaning the bike away from the turn to engage the outer training wheel. Then they have to unlearn this behavior when the training wheels come off.

We've put kids on striders as soon as they show an interest in bikes. A lot of them are riding on two wheels before they're 3.

The writer who started this thread is a parent who is trying to help her struggling daughter enjoy cycling. I am trying to suggest tools that might help. You are not.

By the way, our local YMCA has a very successful program for teaching children (and adults) how to ride bikes. Tes82, you might see if there are any similar resources in your community.

In that case I personally recommend you to buy one of those cheap bikes for around 150$ 200$ she is just a little kid, I dont really think that she needs way too much for riding, she is just 8 and all she's looking for is have fun so a cheap bike is your option.

Read between the lines.

Training wheels teach the kid to do exactly the opposite of what they need to ride on two wheels, leaning the bike away from the turn to engage the outer training wheel. Then they have to unlearn this behavior when the training wheels come off.

We've put kids on striders as soon as they show an interest in bikes. A lot of them are riding on two wheels before they're 3.

The writer who started this thread is a parent who is trying to help her struggling daughter enjoy cycling. I am trying to suggest tools that might help. You are not.

By the way, our local YMCA has a very successful program for teaching children (and adults) how to ride bikes. Tes82, you might see if there are any similar resources in your community.

Do you have an ownership position in Strider? Why are you pushing them so much? They are also known as "balance bikes" and are not new, they have been around longer then training wheels are are complete waste of money, just a big gimmick. You can just remove the pedals from any bike and boom you have a balance bike.
Training wheels are fine when they are properly adjusted, you're over thinking a very simple concept.

I offered great advice. Don't overthink it. Stick the kid on an affordable bike that will be easy to balance. Like a trike or a bike with training wheels, that way she can focus on learning the pedal motion and not worry about balancing.

You and I could go back and forth all day on this.
But you and I are just a bunch of nobodies. I always like to consult the experts.
In this case I think Sheldon Brown's page would be the best resource from a respect expert.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/teachride.html

I should have actually just pointed @tes82 toward Mr. Browns link in the first place. Has some great tips we forgot to touch on.

Have we kind of overlook the point in the OP when they said it might because of brain damage that she's struggling to ride? What does the cost of the bike or how well the family is doing financially have to do with anything?

I'd agree that training wheels on this occasion could be the best option, at least for now, because if she still likes riding a bike but sometimes forgets to pedal because of a medical issue, while hopefully that is being treated, with the training wheels in place then at least she'll be able to ride without falling off and injuring herself, and surely that's the most important thing at the moment?

Best bike will be according to their height. But buy the cheap but best brand cycle because you will not purchase this regularly.
To purchase the bike for your daughter take her with yourself as it can help you to judge the bike properly and you can pick up the best bike for your daughter.
All the best for your purchase.;)

Once again though, why would her height have anything to do with cycling with a brain injury?

The OP is looking for advice regarding that aspect of it I would have thought, and not just general bike buying advice.

Well if she hasn't had any experience with bikes, how about a starter one? You can just explain to her that she only has to use it until she gets used to riding one, and you'll get her a proper bike when she gets good enough. A tricycle, a standard bike with added training wheels; those are pretty good bets when trying to teach a kid how to ride a bike properly. Make sure to get her a helmet too, and elbow/knee pads as well. You might seem overprotecting your kid, but your kid WILL stumble and fall, and it's better to have a cushion when it happens.