best bike for commuting in sydney?

robalert

Jun 8, 2005
What is the best bike for commuting in Sydney considering the potholes and carazy drivers? :p

Can't speak for others as everyone has their own preference. However, my setup is a mountain bike (hardtail) with slicks and removable pannier (when I'm carrying extra gear) or backpack.
I tend to be rough on the bike going up and down gutters/footpaths, cutting across parks, going down the occassional steps etc. I have a rarely used road bike but just find that I would probably go through too many rims and tyres given the way I ride at the moment.

1id10t said:
Can't speak for others as everyone has their own preference. However, my setup is a mountain bike (hardtail) with slicks and removable pannier (when I'm carrying extra gear) or backpack.
I tend to be rough on the bike going up and down gutters/footpaths, cutting across parks, going down the occassional steps etc. I have a rarely used road bike but just find that I would probably go through too many rims and tyres given the way I ride at the moment.
i currently ride a VT3 Giant for my commute

i know that the suspension is way overkill

i got a 105 cluster fitted to 700C aero rims

I was running Continental Gatorskins but they were getting cut up bad on my 15km commute... that include some gutter hopping, glass/rock on road, rocky & dirt paths

I manage to dent my rear rim when i failed to clear a gutter on a bunnyhop (my stoopidity)

recently i decided to chuck on some michelin transworlds which seems to ride nicer and feel alot more solid on ruff roads

i am considering fixing up my old Apollo Himalaya (alivio running gear) to do a bit of commuting duties but worried that I may be over capitalising... it needs a new cluster and chain.. thinking of chuckin on my 700C rims but not sure if they will fit because they have discs for my VT....

also i doubt the alivio deraillreur will work with the 105 cluster....

1id10t said:
i currently ride a VT3 Giant for my commute

i know that the suspension is way overkill

i got a 105 cluster fitted to 700C aero rims

I was running Continental Gatorskins but they were getting cut up bad on my 15km commute... that include some gutter hopping, glass/rock on road, rocky & dirt paths

I manage to dent my rear rim when i failed to clear a gutter on a bunnyhop (my stoopidity)

recently i decided to chuck on some michelin transworlds which seems to ride nicer and feel alot more solid on ruff roads

i am considering fixing up my old Apollo Himalaya (alivio running gear) to do a bit of commuting duties but worried that I may be over capitalising... it needs a new cluster and chain.. thinking of chuckin on my 700C rims but not sure if they will fit because they have discs for my VT....

also i doubt the alivio deraillreur will work with the 105 cluster....

Read my signature, one for wet days and picnics, one for dry days and training. :D

Giant TCR2 for dry days unloaded (most days). Old rigid fork MTB (Diamond Back Apex 1992, go baby!) for loads or the wet.

artemidorus said:
Giant TCR2 for dry days unloaded (most days). Old rigid fork MTB (Diamond Back Apex 1992, go baby!) for loads or the wet.
i suppose the question is... what is your priority for commuting?

getting there in one piece?
getting there as fast as possible?
doing it for environmental reasons?
doing it for fitness?
doing it for lifestyle choice?
getting there with minimal sweat...
i ride a crapper of a bike to improve my fitness... so the list goes on

and it depends on...

the type of terrain your riding on
whether you have parking
the distance you are going

for me, i can't ride a road bike cause my neck/back is stuffed, my commute is 15-17kms, decent hill coming home, terrain can be quite rough in parts, speed is not the issue but doing it for fitness but don't want to get too sweaty by the time i hit work, safety is paramount....