Best bike FULLY LOADED for under $1000?

niceguymr

Jan 21, 2006
Noobie here and 1st post. I've looked around a bit and finally decided to register and post my first question. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to determine the answer, even with all the wealth of information available on this site.

I'm looking for a bike that I can ride mostly paved trails, but will easily endure moderate off road terrain, jumping curbs, that kinda stuff. I haven't been in the bike market for many years and I really have no idea where to start. I guess I'm just looking for a few good examples of bikes that I can get FULLY LOADED with good quality components for under $1000.

A few of the brands I've browsed online are Specialized and Klein. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

niceguymr said:
Noobie here and 1st post. I've looked around a bit and finally decided to register and post my first question. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to determine the answer, even with all the wealth of information available on this site.

I'm looking for a bike that I can ride mostly paved trails, but will easily endure moderate off road terrain, jumping curbs, that kinda stuff. I haven't been in the bike market for many years and I really have no idea where to start. I guess I'm just looking for a few good examples of bikes that I can get FULLY LOADED with good quality components for under $1000.

A few of the brands I've browsed online are Specialized and Klein. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
I'd be curious to hear what your idea of "fully loaded" means... rear light, front light for illumination, front light for visibility, panniers, mud flaps, spoke beads and a big flag? (OK I'm exaggerating but what kind of equipment do you regard as necessary?)

Also the jumping kerbs bit, maybe a full suspension MTB by Huffy would be the go!! :eek:

slgeo1 said:
I'd be curious to hear what your idea of "fully loaded" means... rear light, front light for illumination, front light for visibility, panniers, mud flaps, spoke beads and a big flag? (OK I'm exaggerating but what kind of equipment do you regard as necessary?)
LOL... I guess I deserved that:) Sorry guys for not being more specific.

No flags, bells, or whistles... well, maybe a bell. No lights, no fenders, mud flaps, of spoke beads.

Maybe what I want they don't even make. Maybe I'm just wishfull thinking. I'd love to get a bike that rides like a road bike on the road, but can handle the abuse of a mountain bike. I live in a mostly paved path community, but I can see myself getting bored and trying to get air on the curb ramps once in a while. There's also a few offroad trails not far from where I live, but I would be riding mostly paved trails, grass, sidewalks, and jumping curbs. Does that sound so assinine? Understand that my background was BMX racing which I feel to old for now, and I don't think I want just a mountain bike. I want something to keep up with my buddies on the road. Do they make a mountain bike with big skinny wheels with nobbies? I don't know, and I'm sure I sound ridiculous. Seriously, the closest example I could come up with is a Specialized Crossroads XC Pro MSRP $1200. What do these actually go for in the stores out the door? How much hard pounding abuse can these bikes take on the tires. I used to bust my rims every once in a while with BMX rims, so I'm a little concerned with the road style hybrid tires that they might not handle abuse to hard, just traction. Help me understand. Thanks.

OK, a good hard tail MTB, 8 or 9 speed, with a road cassette (HG50 12-25) and Conti Sport Contact slicks. Have a look at the bike couriers in your town.

gclark8 said:
OK, a good hard tail MTB, 8 or 9 speed, with a road cassette (HG50 12-25) and Conti Sport Contact slicks. Have a look at the bike couriers in your town.
Have you looked into a hybrid bike? I have a hybrid bike that I've put road tires onto and I'm pretty happy with that. Maybe see if your bike shop will let you "test drive" one :)

-- Sarah