"Marc Bowden" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I would like to get a bike rack for 2 bikes, for occasional, say
fortnightly use ... which are are best, front or rear mounted, can the
latter be used just on hatchbacks? Without knowing about them the
roof mounted ones look harder to get the bike off and on. Can one
open the hatch with the bikes on?
I have an older Thule carrier with a hinged support for the down tube, TBH
it does involve a bit of faffing about, perhaps to be avoided if you have a
high vehicle and/or delicate back. But the good news is Thule have since
refined the design to make it easier to use and also to accept bikes with
non-round down tubes, see ProRide 591.
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/tu591r.html
I have also used another type which requires removal of the front wheel with
success, similar to:
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/tu511-1r.html
Roofbox Co. are highly recommended and Thule products, although expensive,
are of a very high standard generally.
Pete