Best bike rack?

Marc Bowden

Guest
Hi

I would like to get a bike rack for 2 bikes, for occasional, say
fortnightly use ... which are are best, front or rear mounted, can the
latter be used just on hatchbacks? Without knowing about them the
roof mounted ones look harder to get the bike off and on. Can one
open the hatch with the bikes on?

Marc

> I would like to get a bike rack for 2 bikes, for occasional, say
> fortnightly use ... which are are best, front or rear mounted, can the
> latter be used just on hatchbacks? Without knowing about them the
> roof mounted ones look harder to get the bike off and on. Can one
> open the hatch with the bikes on?

There are a range of views on the merits of various types of racks. Roof
mounted racks are fine if you have the build to lift the bikes up onto the
roof and it can be a faff attaching the stabilising struts, at least it was
with the ones that I used. On the other hand, I have not had a problem with
a Halfords own brand (made by Paddy Hopkirk I think) rear mounted universal
rack that accommodates up to three bikes. It's been on a Nissan Micra, Audi
A3, Volvo 440, Rover Metro and Renault 19 with no problems with stability,
obscuring of number plates or security of mounting. Opening a hatchback
with the bikes on can be done but is best avoided by packing the things that
you may need on a journey break in the back of the car.

In article <[email protected]>, Jeremy Collins wrote:
>vernon levy wrote:
>>>I would like to get a bike rack for 2 bikes, for occasional, say
>>>fortnightly use ... which are are best, front or rear mounted, can the
>>>latter be used just on hatchbacks? Without knowing about them the
>>>roof mounted ones look harder to get the bike off and on. Can one
>>>open the hatch with the bikes on?

>> There are a range of views on the merits of various types of racks. Roof
>> mounted racks are fine if you have the build to lift the bikes up onto the
>> roof and it can be a faff attaching the stabilising struts, at least it was
>> with the ones that I used.

>Another factor with roof-mounted bike racks is that you have to remember
>to take the bikes off before you drive into the garage.

And into some car parks, even if you don't have a garage.

Opening a hatchback with a rear mounted rack with two bikes on is going
to require a stronger build than lifting them one at time onto a roof
mounted one though. Some tow-bar mounted ones let you fold the rack down
so you can open the tailgate, which is probably easier - at least you
don't have to hold the bikes up while getting at whatever is in the back,
though they are in your way on the ground. (Of course if you don't have
a tow bar mount already that's an extra cost to consider.)

"Marc Bowden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would like to get a bike rack for 2 bikes, for occasional, say
> fortnightly use ... which are are best, front or rear mounted, can the
> latter be used just on hatchbacks? Without knowing about them the
> roof mounted ones look harder to get the bike off and on. Can one
> open the hatch with the bikes on?

I have an older Thule carrier with a hinged support for the down tube, TBH
it does involve a bit of faffing about, perhaps to be avoided if you have a
high vehicle and/or delicate back. But the good news is Thule have since
refined the design to make it easier to use and also to accept bikes with
non-round down tubes, see ProRide 591.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/tu591r.html

I have also used another type which requires removal of the front wheel with
success, similar to:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/tu511-1r.html

Roofbox Co. are highly recommended and Thule products, although expensive,
are of a very high standard generally.

Pete