best bike shop in sydney

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gfunk, Feb 1, 2006.

1. gfunk

gfunk New Member

if you had to pick the best shop in sydney what would it be ?

Tags:

2. Daz1980

Daz1980 New Member

Bike Barn parra for me.

Daz

3. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

I couldn't pick one shop above all others. The few shops I've been to have things I want but not other stuff whereas the other shops might have something else. Each store seems to stock different things so I'll sometimes shop around. I will say, however, that I like Cranks on the lower north shore. As far as stores on the north side of the bridge are concerned I like their pricing and service as opposed to some of the other shops I've been to. City Bike Depot in Kent St are relatively new but I like their service and pricing as well. Although considered pricey Woolys Wheels in Paddington are pretty good. However, I do most of my shopping online and get excellent service and pricing from both Phantom Cycles in Tahmoor and Moruya Bicycles in Moruya. Both have quick and honest service...and no, I don't have shares with either store.

4. thomas_cho

thomas_cho New Member

I purchased my bike from Phantom, and he even offers online live consults. In today's world, that is a much appreciated value added service

5. robalert

robalert New Member

that is a tuff question

i've had some bad experiences... including dealing with Robert at Bike Barn, got attitude from him.... and same as a few friends.. he turned away 2 mates looking for Konas who ended buying from ABC

I've dealt with Graham of Blackman Cycles for many years... but some of his staff are just hopeless...

personally i rate Kerry from Phantom Cycles very highly, in terms of service and price... i bought 3 bikes from him and a number for friends... unbeatable for some products and if you want a Giant.... unfortunately he is far away from me

i like Bikecology in West Ryde, I've known Andrew for about 15 years and he is great with servicing and lower end bikes... he is probably the most trustworthy and sensible for bike repairs/servicing... he is also just down the road.... Also he has a good selection of bikes well priced under $500

recently i discovered renegade cycles, fantastic selection of clothing that neither bikecology or phantom had.... lots of specials

so it is hard to narrow it down to one... but if i had to choose, i'd choose kerry at phantom

6. Scudme1

Scudme1 New Member

Panther Cycles at Penrith are number ONE in my book.

7. jimmiejams

jimmiejams New Member

I haven't heard of City Bike Depot: are they new? Where abouts in Kent St are they? I'm always on the lookout for a new bike shop :)

8. arps

arps New Member

Yes, city bike depot is new.

I've only ever bought stuff from 3 bike shops, but I'll give you a summary of all my recent transactions. While some bike shops can be better than others, I tend to purchase most things from St Ives cycles, simply becasue they are a 3 minute bike ride away, and when I need bike parts I usually need em urgently.

St Ives cycles.
    Attitude:
    Usually they are pretty friendly,I shop there quite a lot and they know me and what bikes I have. I've bought about 4000 dollars worth of stuff from them totally. They have a large staff though, so quite often I'm talking to a new face.

Stock:
    Quite limited. Usually they are happy to order in stuff for me. They don't want to when I'm asking for a discount though.

Prices:
    Lower than turramurra cycles generally. Almost exclusively higher than phantom cycles. They have been happy to match prices from phantom cycles when they have items in stock. THey have been open to negotiation on the price of new bikes which they have on the floor assembled.

Tips: know *exactly* what you want before you go there. I've found that if I dont know exactly what I want, I end up spending too much and wasting time. Becasue they don't have a huge range, your choices often won't be as good as if you have a look at other products. You can then go back to em with a product name and get em to get it in for you though.

Dealings :
    Bought a giant boulder and a giant stp from them. You get one free service, then you pay for everything after that. (an exception was a hub that needed a quick tightening)- a new guy did it free in 2 sec. Last week however when i needed a hub tightened after I got 2 spokes replaced and the wheel trued, they asked for 15 bucks labour.

Lately... rode my bike through salt water and cleaned most of it myself. it took me ages. I couldnt clean the rear hub or bottom bracket though because I didnt have the tools. So I took my bike to em and asked em to degrease and regrease em. Now I spent 15 minutes telling them I didnt want a complete service. Their complete services are cheap, and I probably WOULD have got one instead of cleaning my bike myself I f I knew the price, but it seemed silly to pay for a job to be done which didnt need doing. Finally I spoke to the mechanic and he charged me like 40 bucks total. Now this is one of those things where you usually can't tell if theyve done anyhting or not. And im a cynical guy. But when I gave em the bike the rear derailleur was disconnected. I'd have been satuisfied if they gave it back to me disconnected, but instead when they gave it back the gears were working perfectly. very happy with that experience. I then asked em how much to bleed the back brake (some fluid escaped when i dissassembled the caliper) and they said 45 dollars or so. I declined, since I could make my own bleed kit for 30, and get a proper hayes kit from phantom for 48. I asked st ives cycles about a bleed kit though, but It was 98, so I decided to just leave it.

Later... I wanted a co2 pump. I have like 60 8 gram nitrous oxide cartridges lying around. I wanted to use em in the pump. SO I told em my idea, and guy A said sure itd work, but I'd need 2 to fully pump up the tyre. i asked him whether I could get a refund if it didn't work, and he said yes. I asked him to show me how to use the pump, and while he had no idea , we managed to work it out with consultation with the back of the bpacket and another salesperson. I showed the other person the n2o carteridge and he siad itd work fine too, but id need a washer form the hardware store next door to get the height of the cartridge right. SO i bought the pump for like 45 dollars. It came with a 12 gram cartridge. And I went to the hardware store ans finally found a combination of washers to get the height just right. but It didn't work coz the N20 carteridge mouth was just a little too wide. I tried the co2 cartridge, and , whoops, it released. Doh. SO I went back to st ives cycles and said "It didnt work". So the more experienced salesperson suggested I buy some more 12 gram cartridges, and cut me a deal for 5 for 5 bucks.
    Now I was on my way home when I realised I had spent way too much on a pump. SO I went back, told them I didnt want it after all, and they gave me a refund, minus 5 bucks(full price) for the cartridge I used.

Now... Through no real fault of theirs I was disenchanted with st ives cycles from that last experience. Thus, when 2 spokes snapped on my wheel, I decided to take it to turramurra cyclery and see what they were like. THey said they'd charge me 2.50 a spoke plus 22 dollars to true the wheel. They said theyd take about a week(!) to do it. 4 days later I got a phone call from em. I sent my dad past there to pick the wheel up , and he brought it back, sans rim tape or replacement spokes, with the tyre off. ( I had given it to em with the tyre on and inflated.) Apparently there was a small flat spot in the rim so they couldn't fix it. They wanted to know if I wanted to buy a new rim. Now... this was a cheap rim for a commuter bike, not an ultralight carbon fibre boutique item. I didn't need it to be perfect, so I wasn't impressed.
    I wasn't going to wait another 4 days either. SO i shoved on some electrical tape for rim tape, put the wheel on my bike and rode to st ives cycles. They charged me 25 dollars and had it ready in 3 hours. They commented about the flat spot, but said they did their best. Very happy. They also suggested I get a major service done because the front hub was very loose. This was true. it had been kept at finger tightness for a long time, since I serviced it and didn't have a cone spanner. It'd periodically work itself loose. I asked him nicely if he could tighten the hub in 30 sec. He nicely asked me for 15 dollars labour. SO I left and did it myself at home with fingers and a bit of superglue :) Still working fine after 300 km.

Now I've got a race on saturday, So last week I ordered 2 tyres and pedals from phantom. hoping it'd come quickly. I got an email saying 'order processed' and thought everyhting would be sweet. I waited anxiousl for the package over the weekend.

Now. I rode over a kerb, and ANOTHER spoke snapped on my back wheel.(of my giant boulder) NOT HAPPY! especially since I have a race on saturday, and the wheel is so out of true now the back brakes don't work, and I was hopping to use that bike. Now I don't particualrly want to pay em another 25 bucks. And I have lots of spokes lying around. So what I realised I needed was a cassette lockring tool.I printed off the part from phantom cycles and took it to st ives cycles.Now this is a little technical. The part in question is a park tools fr5 cassette remover. It reputedly removes 5 different brands of lockrings. For 15 bucks. St ives cycles said they had nothing like that. They had other tools which only removed shimano lockrings, and could get in the park tool... but neither for 15 dollars. And I needed a tool to remove sram lockrings.
    So I rang turramurra cycles. They had a shimano tool which phantom sold for 22 dollars. they sold it for 35. They said the lockrings for shimano and sram were identical .(wishing st ives cycles knew that). They also said something about having some tool with a chainwhip too for 29. That looked appealing. I was gonna get it.

This morning (tuesday) I got an email saying my credit card had been declind from phantom. Doh. I rang em and gave em details for another one. That worked. THey were VERY friendly. I asked em if they could include their 15 dollar crank tool too. they said the order had already been packaged, but that yes they could certainly include it. They said they weren't sure if they had it in stock, but if they didn't they could give me the genuine shimano one for the same price. Impressive. So I gave em the goahead.

Just then I got an email from em saying that no, they don't hjave EITHER in stock. Theyve sent my order though, and will send me the tool , freight free. I'm extremely impressed by their service, already, and I haven't even gotten anything from them yet :) However, I need this tool pronto, so I might end up seeing what turramurra cyclery has.

summary:

St Ives cycles- Know what you want before you go in.
    - good for servicing bikes
    -good to check if you want something urgently, or want a common part.

turramurra cyclery- very friendly
    - you need a big wallet.
    -You need lots of time

phantom cycles - Its advantageous if you have an number of parts you want to buy at the same time
    - Extremely friendly
    -Extraordinary service
    - Great prices

9. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

City Bike Depot are located on Kent St between Erskine St and King St (about two or three shops along from Erskine St on the west side of the street). They have only been open a few months. The staff I have spoken to are knowledgable and friendly and I have not yet had the feeling of being sold something I neither need or want. They seem to be very honest and are not at all pushy. Floor stock is mostly Cannondales, GT and Konas with frames from Look and others. Reasonable amount of stock - clothing, parts and accessories. Prices are good too; and they negotiate.

10. biker jk

biker jk New Member

Clarence St Cyclery is undoubtedly one of the most expensive bike shops in Australia. However, I have found the service to be excellent, especially in the workshop. You do sometimes get what you pay for.

Wooly's Wheels is also quite expensive generally, although they do offer some good discounts if you buy from their online shop. The limited experience I've had with their workshop was not impressive and the number of staff working here is much lower than at Clarence St.

Phantom Cycles offer the best prices and services of the online shops. They will price match, sometimes to the world price, to which I can testify. Delivery is speedy indeed.

11. cluster blaster

cluster blaster New Member

I had the same experience with the "Cyclery". Superb service, but expensive too.
    Woolys: been there twice, but won't go there for a long time - incredible attitude I received there! Accidentally, very recently I was riding with a friend chatting about bike shops and he mentioned how his new bike got screwed at Woolys. He had to take the bike to another shop to have it fixed! I guess that says it all...

Other good shops with no bull-sh..t attitude I could recommend: The Cranks (North Syd), and Ashfield cycles....

12. Al R 1955

Al R 1955 New Member