best bike shops in sydney?

moommoom

Oct 5, 2005

which are the best bike shops in sydney where to buy a 29er mountain bike?

i would like a good bike shop where the staff know all the technical stuff and know how to size a rider and are very expert in their knowledge and advice?

any help regarding the best shops to buy a mountain bike would be helpful.

just shops in sydney, Australia.

thanks.

which part of Sydney in particular.

You should go where it is easy and quick to go back

scotty72 said:
which part of Sydney in particular.

You should go where it is easy and quick to go back
i live in eastern suburbs. bondi area. but the bike shops around here that ive found are useless. anywhere in sydney will be ok as long as the shop is good run by experts or knowledgable staff

moommoom said:
i live in eastern suburbs. bondi area. but the bike shops around here that ive found are useless. anywhere in sydney will be ok as long as the shop is good run by experts or knowledgable staff

I've only bought road bikes but I would recommend Clarance St Cyclery (Clarence St in the city). They seem to be very knowledgable and have a big range of bikes in stock including Trek and related offerings. The ground floor is for MTBs and lower ground for road bikes. Another much smaller shop that has helpful knowledgeable staff is Cranks at North Sydney with Giant and Cannondale bikes amoung others.

pod said:
I've only bought road bikes but I would recommend Clarance St Cyclery (Clarence St in the city). They seem to be very knowledgable and have a big range of bikes in stock including Trek and related offerings. The ground floor is for MTBs and lower ground for road bikes. Another much smaller shop that has helpful knowledgeable staff is Cranks at North Sydney with Giant and Cannondale bikes amoung others.
Clarence St Cycles is probably Sydney's most expensive shop, although Wooly's Wheels would give them a run for their money. Both have excellent ranges and knowledgable staff, in their defence. Both are well placed for the eastern suburbs.
Have you looked at Phantom Cycles?: http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/
Not really in Sydney but, by all accounts, worth a visit.

artemidorus said:
Clarence St Cycles is probably Sydney's most expensive shop, although Wooly's Wheels would give them a run for their money. Both have excellent ranges and knowledgable staff, in their defence. Both are well placed for the eastern suburbs.
Well I would vote for Renagade Cycles at Lane Cove as the most expensive as they sell the same Trek and related range of bikes at the same list prices but seem completely unwilling to negotiate at all even on overpriced accessaries when you are proposing to buy a $3000 (Trek 1500 plus pedals) bike. I ended up taking my business to Clarence St who were having their annual sale (around May) and got a much better bike at 30% off list price and they gave me 20% off all the accessaries as well.

If you want cheap then there are warehouse type places out in the suburbs that sell no name cheap brands by the dozen without much attention to quality or fit. For cheaper accessaries and good advice/service I would go to Centenniel Park Cycles at Randwick. They have done good service work for me and I bought a cheap hybrid from them years ago and a lot of my accessaries, however, they don't have good brand name bikes.

North Shore Cyclery is awesome. Pricey (but most are in sydney now) but i went there to look at roadies and the staff are fully into racing. They are picky about their own bikes so they inform you of everything. I highly recommend them. The bike barn is also a good choice for cheap parts. But the best for accessories is www.probikekit.com. SO CHEAP.

artemidorus said:
Phantom cycles would be well worth your visit. You can get very good prices there. Well worth the drive from Sydney.

I surveyed many shops before taking my business there, even tho I had to drive 1 hr to get there.

moommoom said:

i would like a good bike shop where the staff know all the technical stuff and know how to size a rider and are very expert in their knowledge and advice?

any help regarding the best shops to buy a mountain bike would be helpful.
Have you tried ABC Bikes in Liverpool? A 40 min drive down the M5 from the Eastern Suburbs, some really good prices if you negotiate with them, and they are very knowledgable.

Either them or try Bike Barn Parramatta.

My vote for the most expensive has to be Blackman's Bicycles... their prices are always 5-10% above RRP - bikes AND accessories.

--
n

nerdag said:
Have you tried ABC Bikes in Liverpool? A 40 min drive down the M5 from the Eastern Suburbs, some really good prices if you negotiate with them, and they are very knowledgable.

Either them or try Bike Barn Parramatta.

My vote for the most expensive has to be Blackman's Bicycles... their prices are always 5-10% above RRP - bikes AND accessories.

--
n
Have to agree with that.

I've found the ABC guys (at Farifield West) really good and value (tend to have difficult to get tubes, etc.)

As I live in Parra, I use Bike Barn. Nice guys and will always match (or come very close to) others. Wont try to talk you into stuff you don't need to either.

As for Blackmans (Parra at least) being a little expensive, 100% agree.

Scotty

Blackman ain't that expensive is comparison to Woolies, Clarence or any other inner city LBS.

Seems like the closer you are to the CBD the more expensive it is ... I wonder what's the price like in Alice Springs ;)

I have searched around for years for a bike shop and staff who: (a) Have a good range of bikes rather than just either Giant or Trek and the associated brands; (b) have staff who will talk to you like a person and know what they are talking about; (c) will get back to you if you ask them for a quote, service, ideas etc; and (d) have reasonable prices.

I hav been to all of the above shops and several more. The only one I have found is Turramurra Cyclery. They are the home base for Peleton Sports Cycling Club and are staffed by active racing cyclists. I recently took my bike there to get repaired after a stack. Thinking I would have to get the who STI repaired, I braced myself for a costly exercise - when I picked up the bike they had fixed the STI rather than replacing it, even smoothed out the scratches and replaced the bar tape - all for $90. They did a rush job for me because I was racing soon.

In terms of price - I would probably be happy paying more for the best of service than the other way round. Some bike shops treat you like an idiot if you ask for something incorrectly, or don't quite know what you are looking for - similarly others who wouldn't know one end of the bike from the other.

So - Turramurra is my vote.

clarance st is the place to go, in sydney city. they all know their bikes really well, plus you can negotiate a price with them. i Got my bike there with a 20% discount. and Everytime i go in i get a MINIMUM 10% discount on anything from socks to new wheels!!

Try Le spit cyclery at spit junction mosman, they are ok as well.

in the west i would say pedals plus at 7 ferris st Nth Paramatta, it's a ware house style opperation but they guys there are awesome. i got a set of HED 3c's plus a casette, skewers and 3 tires for 2000. the rims should have been 2400 out of the box!