Best bike to use for work commute in la

Eminrac

Jun 6, 2016
Howdy! This is my first post to this forum, and I am looking forward to sharing some biking knowledge, as well as gaining insight into the world of cycling myself. I wanted to start things off if I could, by getting some information about what type of bike I should get for commuting to work. I live about 6 miles away from my workplace.

I live in Los Angeles, and I want to cut down my gas expenses by commuting to work via bicycle. I was wondering what type of bike would be best for this that wouldn't be too expensive. I figured a commuter bike would be suitable, but I also heard that they don't last very long, and that mountain bikes are much more durable, even if your biking on paved roads and sidewalks. Any advice from some experienced cyclists would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Cheers everyone!

Flat terrain?

A single-speed is light weight, can be very durable and is easy to maintain. With a well chosen gear ratio it can go over modest hills and still roll easily across level roads.

An internally geared (multi-gear hub) commuter of any quality at all is going to be a long lasting as any other type of bicycle. This type of gear shift system is often claimed to suffer the abuse of external damage from falls, scrapes, banging around, etc. than derailleur equipped bicycles.

A derailleur equipped multi-gear road, trail, bike path, city bike, commuter bike, hybrid, etc. can be among the least expensive option as these are usually the most produced types of bikes manufactured.

Mountain bikes for road use are perfectly acceptable, but generally heavier, less efficient and sometimes present more complexity than necessary with suspension systems designed to soak up off-road bumps and gearing ranges more suitable to steep, unpaved trails.

ALL types and classes of bicycles, even purpose-built road racing machines, will provide good commuting service if ridden with reasonable care and given needed maintenance.

As a rule of thumb for a 6-mile commute, I would place the choice of tires, the carrying of needed spare tubes, inflation/patching gear, lighting and the route chosen for safety above the type of bike used, especially when just starting into bicycle commuting. Good luck and be careful out there.

Thanks very much for the info. My biggest concern were the tires. The tires on a commuter bike just look way smaller and less durable, which is why I considered a mountain bike. I agree though that a mountain bike would be more bulky, heavier, and more of a pain to deal with. Thanks again for the in depth comparison!

The one thing you didn't mention is where will you be parking the bike at work? will be in a safe secure parking area where outsiders can't get to it and steal it? Why is that important? because if you have to park it and lock it to a some pole out on a public sidewalk it could get stolen and thus that would mean you may want to look for a nice condition used bike for about $250 to $350 range instead of jumping on a $1,200 bike, not to mention bums puking on your bike. I was always lucky because I could take my bikes right into my office! I initially got yelled at by a security guard but I would have them call my boss and then all was good, of course once I had rented my own office the guards couldn't say anything.

A lot of bikes are reliable if you take care of it, geez I have over 150,000 miles on a multi geared road bike and it's never failed me.

You need something that has some gearing to it, I use to live in LA myself and you do have hills depending on where you live and how far you have to ride.

A good value for a new bike is the Raleigh Furley, Specialized Sirrus, Scott Sub Speed 30, (those can be found at bike shops); Diamondback Haanjo (can be found at Dicks Sporting stores); you can even go online to Bikes Direct and find a decent bike that will save you money, but be careful with these, it's best to have it professionally assembled and gone through to make sure all is good if you don't know how to do that sort of stuff.

Whether you buy new or used the secret to a dependable bike is to keep it well maintained.

Reactions: BikeBloggerDave
Carbon bike Handlebar to buy Raiders
As with the purchase of the frame, the carbon bike Handlebar first to deter
The one thing you didn't mention is where will you be parking the bike at work? will be in a safe secure parking area where outsiders can't get to it and steal it? Why is that important? because if you have to park it and lock it to a some pole out on a public sidewalk it could get stolen and thus that would mean you may want to look for a nice condition used bike for about $250 to $350 range instead of jumping on a $1,200 bike, not to mention bums puking on your bike. I was always lucky because I could take my bikes right into my office! I initially got yelled at by a security guard but I would have them call my boss and then all was good, of course once I had rented my own office the guards couldn't say anything.

A lot of bikes are reliable if you take care of it, geez I have over 150,000 miles on a multi geared road bike and it's never failed me.

You need something that has some gearing to it, I use to live in LA myself and you do have hills depending on where you live and how far you have to ride.

A good value for a new bike is the Raleigh Furley, Specialized Sirrus, Scott Sub Speed 30, (those can be found at bike shops); Diamondback Haanjo (can be found at Dicks Sporting stores); you can even go online to Bikes Direct and find a decent bike that will save you money, but be careful with these, it's best to have it professionally assembled and gone through to make sure all is good if you don't know how to do that sort of stuff.

Whether you buy new or used the secret to a dependable bike is to keep it well maintained.

mine the width you need, the customary width of 38cm, 40cm, 42cm, 44cm. There are a lot of misunderstanding, a lot of riders took the tape or tape simply measure the width of his shoulder after the width of the data to the standard to buy the Handlebar, in fact, this is wrong, the correct measurement method Is unable to complete. First of all, you have to find their own shoulder blade shoulder, simply said that the back of the shoulder piece of raised bone, hand can touch. Find the left and right shoulder, let others to help you measure the distance between the shoulder, to the data as a benchmark to buy the handlebar is correct.
In fact, 40cm wide Handlebar can be suitable for most of the riders. There are many small car riders and female riders will use 38cm or even 36cm wide handlebar. Businessmen and agents will prepare 38cm style. Unlike the previous hard to find.
There are now a lot of professional drivers to use a narrow handlebar to reduce the wind resistance. Some riders would like to follow suit. Xian Bian feel completely unnecessary, too narrow to affect the control at the same time when the car will become slow, will make a "this car does not move" feeling; also in the muscles to bring additional burden the
In the curvature of the handlebar, the amount of the drop is marked as Drop, and the front extension is labeled reach. The amount of forward needs to be based on fitting data, with the length of the frame and the reach value to choose. Sinking volume will have to choose according to their own flexibility. Flexibility can choose the general 125mm or so; better flexibility can choose more than 130mm.
As we all know, carbon bike Handlebar the material is divided into 2 types of aluminum and carbon fiber. Aluminum alloy is more cheap, suitable for limited budget car faithful; carbon fiber is relatively expensive, but the weight and shock absorption has a greater advantage. Some car riders may see skilled drivers who prefer to use aluminum handlebar, will feel the performance of aluminum better. In the spring when the aluminum handles is really more advantages, yes. But our general riders, after all, are not frequently on the power output of the professional riders, so in the case of adequate budget, select the carbon fiber handlebar to add a little more comfort is more appropriate.