Bike buying advice · Public discussion

Best bike under $200 US

Started by crocobar · · Last activity · 2 posts · 3,444 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
8 July 2007
Last activity
9 July 2007
Original author
crocobar
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,444
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [font=-moz-fixed]Hi everybody!

    I am exploring my options to get the best road/commuter bike I can for
    under US $200. I am in Illinois, USA. I know that this question pops
    up regularly here, and I read through several similar threads but they
    didn't answer all my questions. I also read the beginner's sticky
    thread.

    I know that the best bet would to look for a used bike but there are
    too many of them. How do I tell a good deal from bad? I do not think
    that LBS has to offer anything in my price range, so let's not discuss
    it. Could you guys list brands that would make good deals used under
    $200?

    An older (70s-80s) bike seems like an affordable option. Which one to
    get then? What is the conceptual difference between those oldies and
    modern bikes? My inexperienced eye sees only gear shifters on the
    downtube, is that all?

    How compatible those older bike are with modern equipment. Will I be
    able to upgrade it?

    I do not mind assembling stuff myself. Does it make sense to get an
    old bike for the frame and equip it with everything else, or it will
    definitely be more expensive? I do not mind even to assemble the whole
    bike from parts and then pay LBS to do fine tuning but I suspect this
    is not a cheap option, is it?

    I am 5'11", 215lbs (hope to lose 30 of them). How do I get the right
    size for the bike?

    As I say, I am looking for a racer-style bike (that is, with
    half-moon-shaped handles for all I know). I will mainly use it to
    commute to work, 10-12 miles roundtrip, using paved bike trails. I may
    do some extra cardiovascular excercising but no racing, climbing, etc.
    I do want to be reasonably safe and comfortable. Otherwise,
    performance is not terribly important.

    I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    [/font]

  2. crocobar said:

    [font=-moz-fixed]Hi everybody!

    I am exploring my options to get the best road/commuter bike I can for
    under US $200. I am in Illinois, USA. I know that this question pops
    up regularly here, and I read through several similar threads but they
    didn't answer all my questions. I also read the beginner's sticky
    thread.

    I know that the best bet would to look for a used bike but there are
    too many of them. How do I tell a good deal from bad? I do not think
    that LBS has to offer anything in my price range, so let's not discuss
    it. Could you guys list brands that would make good deals used under
    $200?

    An older (70s-80s) bike seems like an affordable option. Which one to
    get then? What is the conceptual difference between those oldies and
    modern bikes? My inexperienced eye sees only gear shifters on the
    downtube, is that all?

    How compatible those older bike are with modern equipment. Will I be
    able to upgrade it?

    I do not mind assembling stuff myself. Does it make sense to get an
    old bike for the frame and equip it with everything else, or it will
    definitely be more expensive? I do not mind even to assemble the whole
    bike from parts and then pay LBS to do fine tuning but I suspect this
    is not a cheap option, is it?

    I am 5'11", 215lbs (hope to lose 30 of them). How do I get the right
    size for the bike?

    As I say, I am looking for a racer-style bike (that is, with
    half-moon-shaped handles for all I know). I will mainly use it to
    commute to work, 10-12 miles roundtrip, using paved bike trails. I may
    do some extra cardiovascular excercising but no racing, climbing, etc.
    I do want to be reasonably safe and comfortable. Otherwise,
    performance is not terribly important.

    I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    [/font]

    The best thing to do is go to your LBS and get measured up for a bike this will give you a frame size, go for a test ride make sure the size fits
    do some research on components shimano is every where so would be a good brand of componentry to consider but dont not consider other brands if they are in good condition, even low level components will ride nicely if well looked after. Buying second hand, frame material wont be that important especially for non competative cycling good old steel is strong relible and repairable but dont not cosider other materials if they are in good condition, ride them and see if you like them. Yes you can upgrade components there are many second hand and NOS components out there but you must know what you are buying.
    You would probably be better of buying a cheap bike that fits and see if you stick to riding it, if you do then in six to twelve months or so lash out, treat yourself and buy something a bit more modern
    Dean.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.