Best bikeprotection from salt?

Torben Scheel

Guest
I have prepared my baby (Semi homebuild SWB) for the typical wet danish winter conditions regarding
fenders, tirewidth and gearing (a bit late some would think :). But the wellmeaning politicians and
roadauthorities think that salt is the only answer to ol' mister frost. How do I protect the
vulnerable aluminium from the water/salt solvent - WD40 everywhere exept tires, handles and seat? I
would like to ride all year, but I hate to mess up the bike.

TIA Torben

Vaseline in bulk and use a Paint Brush to apply it. Works fine 4me and Wax the chain too Boeshield
or White Lightning)
-------------
"Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have prepared my baby (Semi homebuild SWB) for the typical wet danish winter conditions
> regarding fenders, tirewidth and gearing (a bit late
some
> would think :). But the wellmeaning politicians and roadauthorities think that salt is the only
> answer to ol' mister frost. How do I protect the vulnerable aluminium from the water/salt solvent
> - WD40 everywhere exept tires, handles and seat? I would like to ride all year, but I hate to mess
> up the bike.
>
> TIA Torben

> I have prepared my baby (Semi homebuild SWB) for the typical wet danish winter conditions
> regarding fenders, tirewidth and gearing (a bit late
some
> would think :). But the wellmeaning politicians and roadauthorities think that salt is the only
> answer to ol' mister frost. How do I protect the vulnerable aluminium from the water/salt solvent
> - WD40 everywhere exept tires, handles and seat? I would like to ride all year, but I hate to mess
> up the bike.

Personally I just wipe clean the affected parts after my rides. Unless your rides are really long, I
doubt much damage will be done. I don't think they've used THAT much salt this year - certainly not
on Nørrebronx, but then they are cheapskates out here.

Mads

"Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have prepared my baby (Semi homebuild SWB) for the typical wet danish winter conditions
> regarding fenders, tirewidth and gearing (a bit late some would think :). But the wellmeaning
> politicians and roadauthorities think that salt is the only answer to ol' mister frost. How do I
> protect the vulnerable aluminium from the water/salt solvent - WD40 everywhere exept tires,
> handles and seat? I would like to ride all year, but I hate to mess up the bike.

I ride an older Schwinn DF in the winter and each and every night when I arrive home I rinse off the
entire bike and then liberally spray the drivetrain with WD40 followed by a silicone lube. This is
my 3rd winter with this bike and it was pretty well used when I got it. It's holding up well with
this type of maintenance. This winter has been particularly rough (central Pennsylvania).

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:10:12 +0100, "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote:

> the wellmeaning politicians and roadauthorities think that salt is the only answer to ol' mister
> frost. How do I protect the vulnerable aluminium from the water/salt solvent

People keep telling me I should be nore aware of this, but I just hose the bike down every couple of
weeks. And the weather hoses it down every couple of days......

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Thank you all for the answers, I think I'll have to build a winterecumbent this summer - or hey! I
could get a Baron and degrade my homebuild (hope she doesn't read this).

I'm not very fond of the "wipe clean after each ride" suggestions though - i tend to be rather lazy
comung home after training at 11PM (or even worse 4AM after a pokernight +-) And beside that, i KNOW
it is impossible to wipe evrything without dismantling.

Well, I'm off to grab the vaseline jar (don't get me wrong here) and WD40 Thanks Joshua & Mr. White.

Torben

"Mads Hilberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Personally I just wipe clean the affected parts after my rides. Unless
your
> rides are really long, I doubt much damage will be done. I don't think they've used THAT much salt
> this year - certainly not on Nørrebronx, but then they are cheapskates out here.

I just polished my rims and found some salt craters :-( I'd REALLY like to avoid that.

Mads - don't you want to participate in this : http://www.dcf.dk/hpv/organ/nordsj.htm?
Startupmeeting : February 2. - 2PM - my place.

"Torben Scheel" skrev...
> Thank you all for the answers, I think I'll have to build a winterecumbent this summer - or hey! I
> could get a Baron and degrade my homebuild (hope she doesn't read this).

Buy another Evita. You only have two after all. ;-) I just happen to have one for sale. Special
price just for you.

M.

> "Torben Scheel" skrev...
> > Thank you all for the answers, I think I'll have to build a
winterecumbent
> > this summer - or hey! I could get a Baron and degrade my homebuild (hope
she
> > doesn't read this).
>
> Buy another Evita. You only have two after all. ;-) I just happen to have one for sale. Special
> price just for you.

No go. How would I distinguish which one is the winter bike?? I could get my frame metallized
(varmgalvaniseret?), and just change components twice a year. It would save some space..

Serious : is your Evita for sale? Price? I might pass the info along..

Torben

> Mads - don't you want to participate in this : http://www.dcf.dk/hpv/organ/nordsj.htm?
> Startupmeeting : February 2. -
2PM -
> my place.

I probably won't be in CPH on that day and will soon be moving to Thy for up to 6 months (I need
peace and quiet to write my speciale (=thesis)). After that it's world tour on a 'bent time!

If it weren't for that, I definitely would have taken part.

Mads

"Torben Scheel" skrev...

Yea theres a few Citroen 2CV's like that. They look like **** but no rust. :)

> Serious : is your Evita for sale? Price? I might pass the info along..

Yep, 3 recumbents is too much. 5000 DKK without tailbox and 6000 with I figure. It has Grimeca
mechanical discbrakes and the Ballistic 950PRO suspension fork. A couple of new S-Licks (406/559)
and a winter fronttire. Just gave it a new coat of hammerite (hammerlak). Tilting handlebars and
aluboom. New 52 tooth chainring. Cassette is from Grimeca AFAIK and shows no sign of wear even after
12.000 km. Spanking new PC48 chains.

Few minor problems left: It wouldn't hurt to get a new headset but the one on now is useable... just
has a slight groove in the straight ahead position.

Sachs gripshift tends to come loose if you pull out on it while shifting. I could probably fix it by
gluing the rubber handle onto handlebars but will leave the to the new owner. He/she might want to
change it.

It has no front derailleur but shouldnt be too hard to fit that and a tube for it on the boom. The
rear derailleur looks mangy but works fine.

The steelseat is rather heavy and I cut down the flanges to fit tailbox, so its not height
adjustable right now. Can probably be fixed by drilling new holes. Will also get a new coat of
paint... soon... maybe... when I get around to it. ;-)

Tailbox will need careful fitting so as not to scrape against the tire. Think I got it sorted but I
need someone else to check while I'm on the bike.

Got a rack and a spare aluseat people can have if they want. Aluseat needs some work... took me 2 km
to bend it and I never got it returned to Sonny Kallehave. Needs thicker flanges and some more
welding. Or I can probably procure an Optima or M5 style seat for ~25 euro ex. postage from Poland.
(However that would require new seatattachments on the frame.)

Mikael