Best biking city

badhat said:
bett did you ride the RAT ride this morning?

i went back and forth on it but ultimately decided against it cuz of the $$$ and the weather looked sorta ominous.
Badhat- No, I didn't ride but it sounded like a lot of fun. I just got a bike again after not having one for years and years...so I'm a newbie but I know they welcome us at the RAT ride too. But next year- I plan to be there! ;)

Bett

Buffalo, NY isn't too bad, very few bike lanes within the city, but they are in the waterfront and the popular areas to ride. Drivers could be better, but I don't have most of the bad experiences that are posted here- so I consider myself lucky.:)

Batgirl77 said:
Badhat- No, I didn't ride but it sounded like a lot of fun. I just got a bike again after not having one for years and years...so I'm a newbie but I know they welcome us at the RAT ride too. But next year- I plan to be there! ;)

Bett
I got my wife back on the bike. Slowly but surely she is getting the hang of spinning. Hey ... she got clipless shoes before I bought them for myself!
Anyhow .... try to do hills and build your confidence. Attack those hills like your life depends on it - if you have no heart conditions or high blood pressure . Go and charge them with whatever bike you have ... any bike. If you start drooling due the effort things are going allright.:D Is the system that wifey is using and is having he most fun ever ... she is getting addicted.

She is well over 30 ... so there is no excuse for you (asuming that you were borne in 77 ... or is that your dress size:eek:).
go for it and CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
:D

huhenio said:
Philadelphia is O.K, and D.C. has plenty of bike lines too.

I'm interested to know what routes you ride in Philadelphia and D.C. I used to live in the former and now work in the latter.

Get the bike line maps
http://bikewashington.org/visitor.htm
I went to the Zoo .... the MALL ... back to Logan's Circle, pretty much wherever I wanted too. That being said I carry a heavy chain ready to wip out wrapped on my aero bars. :grin:
Philly ... wherever I want. I just ride on the street .... take advantage of the smaller size and CLIP OFF the pedals.

But "La Veracruzana" mexican food restaurant, on the Italian Market, is my favorite spot.

30 miles one way .... spend the day in Philly, and 30 miles the other way.

Not a bad day of cycling If I say so

huhenio said:
Get the bike line maps
http://bikewashington.org/visitor.htm
I went to the Zoo .... the MALL ... back to Logan's Circle, pretty much wherever I wanted too. That being said I carry a heavy chain ready to wip out wrapped on my aero bars. :grin:
Philly ... wherever I want. I just ride on the street .... take advantage of the smaller size and CLIP OFF the pedals.

But "La Veracruzana" mexican food restaurant, on the Italian Market, is my favorite spot.

30 miles one way .... spend the day in Philly, and 30 miles the other way.

Not a bad day of cycling If I say so

I'm at work today. I hope you have a similar excuse for sitting in front of your computer on what likely will rank as one of the top-10 most beautiful days of the year in this region. (Got to work late because my planned 24 mile ride turned into 42!)
When I was a kid and later in college I road the streets of Philadelphia day and night. But when I began driving down Kelly Drive to work and play a dozen times a week I concluded I was lucky to be alive and that those who cycled it were too! I love the city, but it doesn't strike me as bike friendly, especially because Philadelphia drivers are aggressive, combative and don't take kindly to bikes on the narrow streets. The son of a former colleague was killed while working as a bike messager a few years ago.

huhenio said:
I got my wife back on the bike. Slowly but surely she is getting the hang of spinning. Hey ... she got clipless shoes before I bought them for myself!
Anyhow .... try to do hills and build your confidence. Attack those hills like your life depends on it - if you have no heart conditions or high blood pressure . Go and charge them with whatever bike you have ... any bike. If you start drooling due the effort things are going allright.:D Is the system that wifey is using and is having he most fun ever ... she is getting addicted.

She is well over 30 ... so there is no excuse for you (asuming that you were borne in 77 ... or is that your dress size:eek:).
go for it and CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
:D
Well, you know what they say about assuming, huhenio. :p My grandmama wore a size 77. We used to camp out in her old clothes- I added the 77 as a tribute to her. She was eaten by wolves on one of those camping trips, or perhaps she ate the wolves, we never could figure the details out.

Thanks for the encouragement! I look forward to approaching a hill and wanting to own it instead of making a left or right turn. Gimmee a few weeks. ;)

Bett

shannons dad said:
I'd like to nominate Bolton. But I can't. It sucks. This dump serves one person. The driver. When I'm rich, I'm friggin' movin'.
Tell me about it. I HATE my (adopted) home town. Dirty, seagull infested place that it is, full of junkies ...

Saying that though we have one or two nice Forestry Commission places to go. One, in particular, about half an hour's ride away and it is pretty cool for biking ...

Ashley3 said:
I hope you have a similar excuse for sitting in front of your computer on what likely will rank as one of the top-10 most beautiful days of the year in this region. (Got to work late because my planned 24 mile ride turned into 42!)
Well ... I live in Prime Bicycle Country here in PA.

I returned from my first ride - meager 26 miles of rolling hills :D - to have a bite to eat and wait for wifey and go for the second, shorter, slower ride of the day!:)

Batgirl77 said:
Thanks for the encouragement! I look forward to approaching a hill and wanting to own it instead of making a left or right turn. Gimmee a few weeks. ;)

Bett
Wifey: (Panting uphill) This hill is a total *****!!.
Me: Well ... you should be her pimp then ....

She does not appreciate my sense of humor ..... or maybe she was too much out of breath.

LindaNo1 said:
Tell me about it. I HATE my (adopted) home town. Dirty, seagull infested place that it is, full of junkies ...

Saying that though we have one or two nice Forestry Commission places to go. One, in particular, about half an hour's ride away and it is pretty cool for biking ...
Junkies? Wheelist has been to visit you then...........:D

Induray said:
Jacksonville, Florida! We're greeted by flying bottles, dead armadillos or flat possums on the streets! Car drivers love us so much...that they throw themselves at us to get near to us cyclist..... So much love:)
That's funny. I had a girl hang out of the passenger window of a car on Beach
Blvd. yesterday and scream at the top of her lungs "Do you have a death wish?!?! Get off the f%&king road!" It startled me, but I just laughed at her, so she flipped me the bird. Only in Jacksonville do the drivers care so deeply about our health and well-being.

the best hill training in fort collins is just to take harmony/38E west up to the reservoir and each time go a little further... you can either stay on 38E and work your way towards masonville and eventually rist canyon road, or you can turn onto centenial (i think thats the road) that runs along the east side of the reservoir and has 2 or 3 of the hairiest climbs i've ever seen. (they're short though)

i did estes/devils gulch and back this afternoon, thats gotta be my favorite ride. so beautiful.

huhenio said:
Wifey: (Panting uphill) This hill is a total *****!!.
Me: Well ... you should be her pimp then ....

She does not appreciate my sense of humor ..... or maybe she was too much out of breath.

Well, at least she was out there trying ... ...

the best biking city...it aint in the UK thats for sure..

i say....Malabo, Equatorial Guinea.

they should host a Tour de Equatorial Guinea.

its got a certain ring to it, dont you think...?

On WHAT roads you plan to do that?

Tour de Australia for the hardcore ultracyclists

Tour the Nauru for the lazier crowd.

jack rackham said:
That's funny. I had a girl hang out of the passenger window of a car on Beach
Blvd. yesterday and scream at the top of her lungs "Do you have a death wish?!?! Get off the f%&king road!" It startled me, but I just laughed at her, so she flipped me the bird. Only in Jacksonville do the drivers care so deeply about our health and well-being.
My Aerobars are also functional to hold a big fat chain I carry nowadays.

I had to settle a discussion with some teenagers yesterday. Boy they lost their smirk fast!

I think that calling someone a "bike ***" and then having to apologize when chased down and caught at the mall parking lot by the "bike ***" - chain in hand - demanding an apology must be one good educational experience.

It is funny how wimpy teenager are nowadays. Pretty skinny and feeble. :confused:

Their vintage Bronco is still intact .... I am not a mean man.:)

huhenio said:
My Aerobars are also functional to hold a big fat chain I carry nowadays.

I had to settle a discussion with some teenagers yesterday. Boy they lost their smirk fast!

I think that calling someone a "bike ***" and then having to apologize when chased down and caught at the mall parking lot by the "bike ***" - chain in hand - demanding an apology must be one good educational experience.

It is funny how wimpy teenager are nowadays. Pretty skinny and feeble. :confused:

Their vintage Bronco is still intact .... I am not a mean man.:)
It's amazing how fast they run when you lock up your back wheel at 25mph, spin round and go after them for mouthing off!!!:D

Well they where driving a Bronco and heading for the mall.

It was easy to spot them ... muahahhahahhhhahaa!

huhenio said:
On WHAT roads you plan to do that?
was this in reply to me?...

any road will do, use mountain bikes or motocross bikes. Just try and avoid the gun toting locals.

bit like the usa.