Best biking city

cdat said:
Buffalo, NY isn't too bad, very few bike lanes within the city, but they are in the waterfront and the popular areas to ride. Drivers could be better, but I don't have most of the bad experiences that are posted here- so I consider myself lucky.:)
You are lucky. I got hit and left for dead by and SUV in Lakeview a few years back. What part of Buffalo are you in? There are some really nice rides out in the North Boston area.

jack rackham said:
That's funny. I had a girl hang out of the passenger window of a car on Beach
Blvd. yesterday and scream at the top of her lungs "Do you have a death wish?!?! Get off the f%&king road!" It startled me, but I just laughed at her, so she flipped me the bird. Only in Jacksonville do the drivers care so deeply about our health and well-being.
-Intemperate Thoughts-
Ahhh! Beach Blvd., such a lovely road.! Full of potholes and broken glass. I used to ride it all the time. I would get so many flats, that I actually got my upper body exercise by continously using my pump.
Now I ride mostly Mandarin area and Julington. Car drivers out there are starting to get it.... Don't speed up in front of a cyclist to make a right turn! Wait you f%(*$ turn!
Westside and Downtown, do they make lightweight guns?
Ok, last one. If this doesn't capture the spirit of our city, I don't know what does.... . Riding Normandy Blvd. east of the S.O.S strip club. Hear a tink, tink, tink in my back wheel. I stop and look at my tire. A FISHING HOOK was jammed in my tire. Needless to say I was caught like a catfish on a nearby mud hole!:D

MountainPro said:
was this in reply to me?...

any road will do, use mountain bikes or motocross bikes. Just try and avoid the gun toting locals.

bit like the usa.
... I am wondering aobut the local customs

... like cannibalism ...

I would have to say for mountain biking it would have to be Breckenridge Colorado and for road riding, Arizonain the winter.

Fizzy23 said:
Austin, Texas and the surrounding hill country are great!!
I would also have to nominate Philadelphia as well. I have never had an issue with the drivers there, and there are some nice bike shops there too.

TOKYO - The more I live here the more I think Tokyo is pretty damn good for cyclists. There are zillions of them, cars are slow and mindful of cyclists, police themselves ride bicycles, you can trundle on the footpath or mix it on the road with cars if you like, there are zillions of back streets too narrow for cars, which pedestrians and cyclists rule completely, the government subsidises fabulous insurance for cyclists including third party property with absolutely no excess (deductible) and well, just about everyone in this city knows that cars - or personal cars at least, are purely status symbols of the wannabe class here. Finally, you can bag your bike and get out of town very easily on the train into some first rate hills.

I should move to Tokyo ..... but I dont know how many jobs are there for gaijin vaca there

Madison, WI!!! Surely has to be one of the most liberal and most bike friendly towns in the states

I can't pretend to know the 'best' but I do find my town, Victoria, BC to be excellent. Mild weather, lots of quality road, tolerant (for the most part) drivers, and a thriving cycling and triathlon community.

LOL. I live there. While the roads are OK (typical for rual area in Maryland), the county is chock full of drivers that think cyclists are targets, easy pickin's, or simply have no idea that they have the same privileges and responsibilities as motor vehicles.

While I cannot claim first hand experience, many I ride with recommend the Tucson, AZ area for late winter riding. The weather there is ideal that time of year, most of the PROs train there, the laws are quite strict concerning proper respect for cyclists, and the town and surrounding area has an extensive network of roads specifically designed for cylists.

Carroll County on the other hand recently placed signs on route 32 that claimed the road a cycling bikeway even tho segments of that same road have zero shoulders.

joetronic said:
Its not a city, but Carroll County MD is very good to cyclists. they have Share the Road with bike sings everywhere. and any road that has a shoulder of 3 or more feet is a designated "bike route" and the shoulders are cleaned on a bi-weekly basis. You can also get "bike maps" at almost any gas station for free that tell you how large the shoulders on all main roads and tell you the traffic patterns.

joule said:
LOL. I live there. While the roads are OK (typical for rual area in Maryland),
While I cannot claim first hand experience, many I ride with recommend the Tucson, AZ area for late winter riding. The weather there is ideal that time of year, most of the PROs train there, the laws are quite strict concerning proper respect for cyclists, and the town and surrounding area has an extensive network of roads specifically designed for cylists.

Carroll County on the other hand recently placed signs on route 32 that claimed the road a cycling bikeway even tho segments of that same road have zero shoulders.

Funny, given that I live just down the I-97 in anne arundel county, which has pretty fabulous back roads if you know where to go. If you're unfamiliar I'd be happy to take you on a tour one day when we're out, although I'm going over to St. Michael's tomorrow (Saturday) for the Bike Doctor Century. Anyway, the earlier post had me interested in trip up to ride in Carroll County.
Meanwhile, I'm happy to hear your report on Tucson, since I'm going there for nine days of riding in the beginning of March.

Well lived in CC for over 10 years now and put about 6,000 miles a year onto the bike in the area. Doing the Civil War Century myself tomorrow out at Thurmont.

I know there are worst areas than CC, but I'd not say CC is any better than Howard, Frederick and a few other counties in the area.

We can continue this if you want, but should probably take it off-line. Feel free to e-mail me here.

Ashley3 said:
Funny, given that I live just down the I-97 in anne arundel county, which has pretty fabulous back roads if you know where to go. If you're unfamiliar I'd be happy to take you on a tour one day when we're out, although I'm going over to St. Michael's tomorrow (Saturday) for the Bike Doctor Century. Anyway, the earlier post had me interested in trip up to ride in Carroll County.
Meanwhile, I'm happy to hear your report on Tucson, since I'm going there for nine days of riding in the beginning of March.

As I live here, I am biased towards Jefferson, OR. Less thank 2K population, most roads paved and the city has a street sweeper. One flat in 3 years. Bike lane on the main drag, right up to our street light. Great ride out to the Buena Vista ferry, 22 miles round trip and you might see 10 cars once out of town.

Seriously, Corvallis/Philomath have the best biking I have seen locally. College town and lots of paths and lots of bikers. At least three bike shops in town.

Best biking city I have been in is Eugene Or. Plenty of bike lanes, friendly drivers and hundreds of miles of bike path. (although you have to be a tree hugging liberal to live there...in peace.) I definitely would not select my home town of Boise Id. When it comes times to resurface they chipseal the raods. This means they put tar and small pebbles on top of the asphalt. This makes for a very rough ride...i hate it.

Well Chicago may not be the best, but it is getting better. More Bike Lanes are being added every year. More cycling events are getting started. Heck even Mayor Daley is an avid cyclist.

No Rednecks
No Hard Climbs (not sure if thats a good thing or Bad)

I ride 365

missoula montana

is not the best but we are working to make it the best. i have a bootleg bike route map i have been passing out under the table. my buddy goes to city councel meetings to encourage bike paths and all forms of cycle friendly concepts.