Best bit of advice

Psychler

Oct 11, 2006
Ok, if you could give me the one best bit of advice about anything to do with riding a bike, what would it be? [I need to learn!]

Psychler said:
Ok, if you could give me the one best bit of advice about anything to do with riding a bike, what would it be? [I need to learn!]
Try not to fall off or get hit by a car.

Pedal in a circle rather than just push down.

Wear a helmet.

Ride every day.

Psychler said:

Like they say over at the Nike factory....Just Do It.....

Be careful and remember to take the time to enjoy the ride...cycling is fun.

Cheers,

Brian

Psychler said:
If cycling ever feels like a job, take a few days off, it's supposed to be fun.

Get fitted on a bike, your rides will be more comfortable, and there will be less pain in the future. Take it from me, I have bad knees now.

Psychler said:
once you're on try and get bit of intial speed, once you get going, the bike tends to balance itself out (just keep yourself in centre through lol)

Find someone that loves to ride a bike and has ridden along time. Ride with them as much as possible.

Make sure you have a seat on the post. Your **** might hurt just a bit if you forget!

work on going uphill.

anyone people can sit in on the flats at very high speeds. the stronger cyclists separate themselves when the road goes uphill.

1. Ride your bike. Ride your bike. Ride your bike.

2. (ok, you said only one, but I will ignore that) Get a good pair of bike shorts.

3. Get a decent set of riding shoes.

HAVE FUN!

As someone else said, make sure the bike fits well. An ill-fitting bike can take the fun out of riding.

Also, get a good pair of bike shorts.

Avoid riding at night - it's hard for cars to see you, and that's when the drunks come out.

Use lights and reflectors if you do ride at night, and avoid busy roads where cars travel at high speeds - if you can.

Hydrate. And learn about eating on long rides, else you'll be in big trouble.

Don't overdo it.

Join a bike club.

Don't always ride at the same speed - after your fitness level improves a bit, keep pushing the speed. There are lots of posts here about training.

-The best way to improve your speed and recovery is through intervals.

-Read a few good books on cycling training. lemond is what i read in 1988 and now I am reading Friels Training bible. Later I'll look into the Coggan book.

-put LED lights on front and back of your bike if you riding in the evenings or early mornings.

-dress to be seen.

since you're just starting out, invest in a good set of wheels and tires and know how to fix a flat.

Keep your head up and pay extra attention when you are riding tired...that's when lot of crashes happen, especially when you are new.