Best bit of advice

Psychler said:
Ok, if you could give me the one best bit of advice about anything to do with riding a bike, what would it be? [I need to learn!]

EVERY car driver is a probably a psychotic murderer. They have means and motivation. Try not to give them the opportunity.

- Carry a spare tube and/or puncture kit, levers and a pump.
- Chamois cream for a long ride.
- Courtesy to other riders, pedestrians and drivers goes a long way.

Psychler said:
Ok, if you could give me the one best bit of advice about anything to do with riding a bike, what would it be? [I need to learn!]

use a HRM to maximize the benefit you get from a ride.

Everything listed above +

- weight (on the bike) doesn't matter as much as the ads would make you think, I buy for reliability, comfort, price, weight, in that order

- mix up your riding routes, terrain, partners, etc. as much as possible--keep things interesting

- wet leaves are slippery

Most of all: have fun!

In terms of your pedaling stroke; concentrate on driving your knee towards the handlebar on the upstroke. The downstroke will take care of itself. Pedal in smooth circles.

Comfort is paramount. As others have said, get your bike fitted to you and you will enjoy many long hours in the saddle.
Don't buy on looks or brand, buy on fit and comfort (if a bike shop tries to sell you a particular bike in less than 30 minutes, walk away!)