Best books on bicycle maintenance

Travis

Guest
Can anyone recommend a good and up to date book on road bike
maintenance, covering everything from basic stuff like regular
lubrication and adjustments through to more advanced stuff like wheel
trueing and building, removing and installing a groupset etc?

I've heard mixed things about Zinn's Art of Road Bike Maintenance. Any
opinions on this book?

Travis

Travis wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good and up to date book on road bike
> maintenance, covering everything from basic stuff like regular
> lubrication and adjustments through to more advanced stuff like wheel
> trueing and building, removing and installing a groupset etc?

Books? This is the intereywebbything

http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

& a copy of Barnett's if you need/want more details

Parbs

Travis said:
Can anyone recommend a good and up to date book on road bike
maintenance, covering everything from basic stuff like regular
lubrication and adjustments through to more advanced stuff like wheel
trueing and building, removing and installing a groupset etc?

I've heard mixed things about Zinn's Art of Road Bike Maintenance. Any
opinions on this book?

Travis
What have you heard about Zinn's?

Travis said:
Can anyone recommend a good and up to date book on road bike
maintenance, covering everything from basic stuff like regular
lubrication and adjustments through to more advanced stuff like wheel
trueing and building, removing and installing a groupset etc?

I've heard mixed things about Zinn's Art of Road Bike Maintenance. Any
opinions on this book?

Travis

Zinn's is the best book on road bike maintenance that I've seen. easy to follow, good illustrations etc, etc.

Hitchy

Travis wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good and up to date book on road bike
> maintenance, covering everything from basic stuff like regular
> lubrication and adjustments through to more advanced stuff like wheel
> trueing and building, removing and installing a groupset etc?
>
> I've heard mixed things about Zinn's Art of Road Bike Maintenance. Any
> opinions on this book?

I have a number of them, Zinn is good, probably the best I've seen
anyway. Maintenance books are always a bit of a trick though, what
makes sense to one person makes no sense to another.

Get friendly with your LBS for when you get stuck :)

Hi Travis,

I use Sheldon Brown's (sheldonbrown.com) and Jim Langley's
(jimlangley.net) websites for most of my info. Print out the relevant
page if I need it on-hand as I do the work, and I'm away!!!

Although I've been meaning to grab a copy of Zinn's book so that I have
a hardcopy resource lying around the place...

Cheers,
Abby

Absent Husband wrote:

> Hi Travis,
>
> I use Sheldon Brown's (sheldonbrown.com) and Jim Langley's
> (jimlangley.net) websites for most of my info. Print out the relevant
> page if I need it on-hand as I do the work, and I'm away!!!
>
> Although I've been meaning to grab a copy of Zinn's book so that I have
> a hardcopy resource lying around the place...
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

Yep, Sheldon Brown's site and the information on other websites should not
be undervalued. I also have a couple of maintenance books including Zinn,
and yes, I would recommend 'Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance'.

Some books and websites focus on using the correct tools, while other less
formal internet information may provide you with an at-hand answer.

For example, a while ago I was trying to remove a stuck pedal. Zinn's
description after telling you about the reverse thread on the left pedal
was something like "slide a 15mm pedal wrench onto the wrench flats of the
pedal axle". I didn't have a pedal wrench, and with my best efforts still
couldn't undo one of the pedals until I found found the best placement of
the crank/pedal and spanner described on the web. This is not meant to
downplay the usefulness of Zinn's excellent books, but sometimes you will
still need a bit more.

Also, I agree with Bleve's comments about different approaches, and chatting
with your local bike mechanic.

Cheers,

Vince

Barnetts Manual is available in PDF format on the Internet.
http://mountainbikers.hubsystems.com.au/resources.html.

news:[email protected]...

Nick Payne said:
Barnetts Manual is available in PDF format on the Internet.
http://mountainbikers.hubsystems.com.au/resources.html.

"Travis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone recommend a good and up to date book on road bike
> maintenance, covering everything from basic stuff like regular
> lubrication and adjustments through to more advanced stuff like wheel
> trueing and building, removing and installing a groupset etc?
>
> I've heard mixed things about Zinn's Art of Road Bike Maintenance. Any
> opinions on this book?
Does anyone know which edition of the Barnett manual that is. The current edition is the 5th. Also, be aware that the Barnett's people are pretty serious about copyright and Barnetts are likely to force the mountainbikers site to remove it as soon as they become aware of it. (Of course Mountainbikers may have sought and received permission to publish it there but I doubt it)

SteveA

Travis said:
Can anyone recommend a good and up to date book on road bike
maintenance, covering everything from basic stuff like regular
lubrication and adjustments through to more advanced stuff like wheel
trueing and building, removing and installing a groupset etc?

I've heard mixed things about Zinn's Art of Road Bike Maintenance. Any
opinions on this book?

Travis
Travis,

I have both the Zinn maintenace books (road and MTB) and they are both useful.

Online googling and perusal of sites like Sheldon Brown's are probably just as valuable, but I like to have a hard copy reference or 2 as well.

If you want to look at a copy of Zinn, Rellim Booksellers (834 Hay Street) usually have a copy on their shelves.

SteveA

Looks to be the 4th edition. I have the paper version of that and a couple
of the chapters that I checked online were identical to my hard copy.

news:[email protected]...

Absent Husband wrote:

> Hi Travis,
>
> I use Sheldon Brown's (sheldonbrown.com) and Jim Langley's
> (jimlangley.net) websites for most of my info. Print out the relevant
> page if I need it on-hand as I do the work, and I'm away!!!
>
> Although I've been meaning to grab a copy of Zinn's book so that I have
> a hardcopy resource lying around the place...
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

They sell it here at uni, dude!

I bought a different book for my MTB tho, not Zinn, and it's good too.

But of course, Sheldon's always there to help me...

Tam