Best Cables/Housing

samtheclip

Sep 22, 2003
What are the best cables and housing out there that money can buy? I would love a yellow housing to go with my bike. I am not asking what are the best for the buck but, which are the BEST!

Thanks!

Originally posted by samtheclip
What are the best cables and housing out there that money can buy? I would love a yellow housing to go with my bike. I am not asking what are the best for the buck but, which are the BEST!

Thanks!

Avid Flack Jacket housings and matching cables have provided me great performance and reliability.
The housing is larger in diameter than the Shimano product so fitting in frame eyelets can be an issue. I resolved that issue on the frames I wanted to fit with careful use of a drill bit.

Thanks for the input but, let me rephrase my question. What are the most expensive cables and housings on the market?

-Thanks!

Hmmm... well, a lot of folks cream their pants over Nokon cables. If you're really looking to up the style/sexiness factor of your bike through the cable housing selection, I think that's about as far as you can go.

Team ONCE rides them. Pretty decadent. Don't think they come in yellow, though...

The most expensive? I can sell you whatever you want for as much as you want to pay, but price doesn't always mean best. You should base all your decisions on function (and style if you like).....but price.....come on.......
p.s. I happen to like expensive parts but not because they cost a lot......

Ok whats the siffest brake housing for the road bike? with my setup I get a bit of mushy rear breaking with the housing as short as possible. I am using good bulk shimano housing from a higher end LBS.

I've always used GoreTex cables (£50 for brake and gear set) on my mountain bike as they stay silky smooth no matter what the weather and require zero maintenance. I also use these on my road training bike for the same reasons. They come in lots of colours.

I have a set of Nokon cables on my bike and love them. Being a hevier rider, I needed something with as little flex as possible and these cables did the trick (it's the whole gravity thing, the heavier, the faster). A full setup of brake and shifter cables costs about $120.00 but is worth every penny!