Best cadence computer

Cgdimanche

Guest
My avocet 45 just dead a few weeks back and I would like to replace it fairly soon. I am looking
for the best cadence computer around. My rides are almost always based on cadence as a result
accuracy is key.

I have seen a few such as the Sigma, Cateye, and of cause Avocet but picking the best one is
my dilemma.

Thanks in advance.

Goldy

I have a model called the Echowell 'Echo-J12', which has served me well. The interesting thing with
this computer is that the cadence sensor and magnet are on the crank and chainstay as expected, but
the wheel sensor is mounted on the front wheel. This differs from the Cateye Astrale, older Vettas
(C20), and my current Performance Axiom 8.0C (made by VDO). So it is good for the road and rollers,
but not well suited to a trainer which needs a rear wheel sensor.

Another plus are the three (3) displays plus the speed up/down (vs. mean speed) arrow. I typically
have the velocity, cadence, and average velocity on display. In the non-clock displays, cadence and
velocity are always displayed and the third screen can be either AVG, DIST, or Elapsed Time.

The one pesky thing about the Echowell is that the velocity is only given in whole numbers, i.e., 17
or 21. No tenths or halves mph (or kph). However, the average velocity is reported in tenths. Other
useful functions include average rpm and max rpm. The unit is made in Taiwan, if that matters. I am
a fair weather rider, so I can't comment one way or the other about erratic displays in the rain.

I hope this helps.

"cgdimanche" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My avocet 45 just dead a few weeks back and I would like to
replace
> it fairly soon. I am looking for the best cadence computer around. My
rides
> are almost always based on cadence as a result accuracy is key.
>
> I have seen a few such as the Sigma, Cateye, and of cause Avocet
but
> picking the best one is my dilemma.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Goldy

Somebody should put in a plug for a GPS as a superior entertainment value on rides. But maybe
cadence is for some people all the mental challenge they need, like TV. There's no accounting
for taste.

I've been considering dropping even the GPS since they started running commercials on the system.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Somebody should put in a plug for a GPS as a superior entertainment value on rides. But maybe
> cadence is for some people all the mental challenge they need, like TV. There's no accounting
> for taste.

So you get a "mental challenge" from your bike computer, & need to insult someone who considers
cadence important? I think "there's no accounting for" your thickheadedness.

FWIW....... I've had good luck with the Performance 8C and I especially like the Shimano FLight Deck
I have now (need "flight deck compatible" shifters for it). The 8C is a very good value and very
reliable (IMHO). "cgdimanche" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My avocet 45 just dead a few weeks back and I would like to
replace
> it fairly soon. I am looking for the best cadence computer around. My
rides
> are almost always based on cadence as a result accuracy is key.
>
> I have seen a few such as the Sigma, Cateye, and of cause Avocet
but
> picking the best one is my dilemma.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Goldy

he only says that because he is better than everybody else in here

"Jay Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Ron
Hardin wrote:
> Somebody should put in a plug for a GPS as a superior entertainment value on rides. But maybe
> cadence is for some people all the mental challenge they need, like TV. There's no accounting
> for taste.

So you get a "mental challenge" from your bike computer, & need to insult someone who considers
cadence important? I think "there's no accounting for" your thickheadedness.

Cyclo Sport has a cadence on some of their computers, and I believe all of them let you set the
total mileage.

There are a couple that tell you everything, including current temperature, how steep the hill is,
and how many watts your putting out while climbing it. One even lets you download this info into
your computer (home pc) and will give you a mile by mile read out for the whole ride!

'taint cheap, though.

I will second the Echwell computer, I have the F2 and I am very happy with it, as far as weather
goes, did 2 1\2 hours in the rain yesterday... and while I wasn't too happy about it, the computer
worked just fine.

"Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a model called the Echowell 'Echo-J12', which has served me well. The interesting thing
> with this computer is that the cadence sensor and magnet are on the crank and chainstay as
> expected, but the wheel sensor is mounted on the front wheel. This differs from the Cateye
> Astrale, older Vettas (C20), and my current Performance Axiom 8.0C (made by VDO). So it is good
> for the road and rollers, but not well suited to a trainer which needs a rear wheel sensor.
>
> Another plus are the three (3) displays plus the speed up/down (vs. mean speed) arrow. I typically
> have the velocity, cadence, and average velocity on display. In the non-clock displays, cadence
> and velocity are always displayed and the third screen can be either AVG, DIST, or Elapsed Time.
>
> The one pesky thing about the Echowell is that the velocity is only given in whole numbers, i.e.,
> 17 or 21. No tenths or halves mph (or kph). However, the average velocity is reported in tenths.
> Other useful functions include average rpm and max rpm. The unit is made in Taiwan, if that
> matters. I am a fair weather rider, so I can't comment one way or the other about erratic displays
> in the rain.
>
> I hope this helps.
>

> "cgdimanche" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My avocet 45 just dead a few weeks back and I would like to
> replace
> > it fairly soon. I am looking for the best cadence computer around. My
> rides
> > are almost always based on cadence as a result accuracy is key.
> >
> > I have seen a few such as the Sigma, Cateye, and of cause Avocet
> but
> > picking the best one is my dilemma.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Goldy
> >

> I have seen a few such as the Sigma, Cateye, and of cause Avocet but picking the best one
> is my dilemma.

I own and really like the Sigma Sport computers- mine's a 1400. They offer cadence, front or rear
wheel speed sensors, wireless mounts and the usual plethora of information. They are also rugged and
don't seem to be affected by rain. Also key- ability to mount on the stem leaving room for aero
bars, lights and such on the handlebars. Parts are fairly cheap as well. The instructions provided
with them are as obtuse as most such things but once set up the computer itself is easy to use with
big buttons front and back side of unit rather than on top face. I find this design easier to
operate while riding.