Best Chain Cleaner

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Rollason, May 5, 2003.

  1. I was amazed at the difference when I cleaned my chain the other week. I used a combination of wd40
    washing up liquid and a toothbrush.

    Even so cleaning the chain is a damm messy & time consuming process. I ve heard these clip on baths
    are actually quite good. Any one reccommend one ? and where I can get it cheaply.

    Pete. Halesowen West Mids.

    Tags:

  2. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Pete Rollason wrote:
    > I was amazed at the difference when I cleaned my chain the other week. I used a combination of
    > wd40 washing up liquid and a toothbrush.
    >
    > Even so cleaning the chain is a damm messy & time consuming process. I ve heard these clip on
    > baths are actually quite good. Any one reccommend one ? and where I can get it cheaply.
    >
    > Pete. Halesowen West Mids.

    I have one, it seems to work nicely, although whether it cleans deep down is another matter, it get
    the visible muck off in a couple of mins and leaves the transmission sounding a lot smoother.

    After a couple of uses it has loads of gritty bits in it, disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly
    takes 15 mins or so.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Pete Rollason wrote:
    > I was amazed at the difference when I cleaned my chain the other week. I used a combination of
    > wd40 washing up liquid and a toothbrush.
    >
    > Even so cleaning the chain is a damm messy & time consuming process.

    It is like that but removing chain, putting in a jar of white spirit and shaking is not - and chain
    ends up much cleaner as well. A PowerLink helps - see previous threads for more on those.

    > I've heard these clip on baths are actually quite good. Any one reccommend one ? and where I can
    > get it cheaply.

    The Barbieri one works reasonably well. £6 post free from:

    www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=19&text_company=MAINTENANCE%20PRO DUCTS

    ....but it's still not as clean, cheap and good as the above method.

    ~PB

  4. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Pete Rollason wrote:

    > > Even so cleaning the chain is a damm messy & time consuming process. I ve heard these clip on
    > > baths are actually quite good. Any one reccommend one ? and where I can get it cheaply.

    > I have one, it seems to work nicely, although whether it cleans deep down is another matter, it
    > get the visible muck off in a couple of mins and leaves the transmission sounding a lot smoother.
    >
    > After a couple of uses it has loads of gritty bits in it, disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly
    > takes 15 mins or so.

    I washed mine in hot water and the little plastic shafts holding the rotary brushes melted.

    :)

    --
    Dave...

  5. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    > Pete Rollason wrote:
    > > I was amazed at the difference when I cleaned my chain the other week. I used a combination of
    > > wd40 washing up liquid and a toothbrush.
    > >
    > > Even so cleaning the chain is a damm messy & time consuming process.
    >
    > It is like that but removing chain, putting in a jar of white spirit and shaking is not - and
    > chain ends up much cleaner as well. A PowerLink helps - see previous threads for more on those.
    >
    > > I've heard these clip on baths are actually quite good. Any one reccommend one ? and where I can
    > > get it cheaply.
    >
    > The Barbieri one works reasonably well. £6 post free from:
    >
    > www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=19&text_company=MAINTENANCE%20PRO DUCTS
    >
    > ....but it's still not as clean, cheap and good as the above method.
    >
    > ~PB

    yeh I have that one - paid a lot more for it than that and it's very good. Fits snuggly with the
    little wheel attachment thing, locks nicely, is solid and does a good job. Use it every 1/2 weeks.

  6. Mark Davies

    Mark Davies Guest

    Pete Rollason wrote:
    > I was amazed at the difference when I cleaned my chain the other week. I used a combination of
    > wd40 washing up liquid and a toothbrush.
    >
    > Even so cleaning the chain is a damm messy & time consuming process. I ve heard these clip on
    > baths are actually quite good. Any one reccommend one ? and where I can get it cheaply.

    A friend has the Park one that he picked up cheap at his LBS. Worked well when we used it at
    Coed-y-Brenin last summer.

    I picked up the Finish Line one as a sale item at Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op IIRC, some months ago. I
    found it lurking, half forgotten for six months, at the weekend, so I decided to clean both bike
    chains with it, and again, it worked well.

    Both are similar in operation and effectiveness.

    If your chain has an SRAM power link, then it's pretty easy to just remove it and leave it to soak
    in solvent. I have to admit, the chain cleaner is easier.

    --

    Mark Davies

  7. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    pete.rollas[email protected] (Pete Rollason) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Even so cleaning the chain is a damm messy & time consuming process. I ve heard these clip on
    > baths are actually quite good. Any one reccommend one ? and where I can get it cheaply.

    I've used the Barbieri one, which makes a mess but works acceptably - however, the technique that
    works best is the Sheldon Shake. Start here: <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

  8. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > > Even so cleaning the chain is a damm messy & time consuming process. I ve heard these clip on
    > > baths are actually quite good. Any one reccommend one ? and where I can get it cheaply.
    >
    > I've used the Barbieri one, which makes a mess but works acceptably - however, the technique that
    > works best is the Sheldon Shake. Start here: <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html>

    Don't you just love Sheldon Brown - he almost makes this group redundant.

    Chain cleaning? I find that the water and mud I ride through washes out any oil on every ride. The
    chain gleams after an off road ride in Mid Wales. I then lubricate it with chain saw oil - very
    cheap and very clinging. It probably (possibly) lasts an hour or two on a typical muddy ride.

    I won some Pedro's dry lube one Sunday some years ago - it lasts minutes and costs about the same as
    3 litres of chain saw oil.

    Chains cost about £7 and I replace them after a few hundred miles - my XT chainrings and cassette
    last a long time. I put this down to changing the chain a few times a year - but I have no concrete
    evidence that this is the case.

    John

  9. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    Pete Rollason wrote:
    > I was amazed at the difference when I cleaned my chain the other week. I used a combination of
    > wd40 washing up liquid and a toothbrush.

    Both products are useless for that exercise, doesnt make sense to use them together. I'd suggest
    using a citrus degreaser which both degreases and cleans, then wash it off, then use WD40 to
    disperse any moisture, before re lubing with a proprietry product. The lube used would depend on
    your type of riding and the terrain to be covered.

    My clip on box works well but on my mtb I prefer to switch two chains over every couple of months.
    That way I can soak the chain in a container of degreaser and use the tooth brush on it. There are
    two boxes advertised in the current Parrot catalogue.

    I've been using chainsaw oil from B+Q and it tends to hold particles of gravel in the rollers. My
    trick is to tape two brushes together with the bristles facing each other, to dip it into degreaser
    and scrub the rollers on the chain from both sides. But then I've retired and I've got the time to
    play these games. Mike

  10. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Taywood <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Pete Rollason wrote:
    > > I was amazed at the difference when I cleaned my chain the other week. I used a combination of
    > > wd40 washing up liquid and a toothbrush.

    I bought one from Probikekit.com for £6. I've never seen one that doesn't leak at all. Powerlink is
    your best bet and dunk it..Connex or SRAM work well.

    --
    Mark

  11. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    Someone bought me some Park Tool Chain Brite.I must say it works a treat.Not cheap though.

    Sam Salt "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Taywood <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Pete Rollason wrote:
    > > > I was amazed at the difference when I cleaned my chain the other week. I used a combination of
    > > > wd40 washing up liquid and a toothbrush.
    >

    > I bought one from Probikekit.com for £6. I've never seen one that doesn't leak at all. Powerlink
    > is your best bet and dunk it..Connex or SRAM work well.
    >

    > --
    > Mark

    ---

  12. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Chains cost about £7 and I replace them after a few hundred miles - my XT chainrings and cassette
    > last a long time. I put this down to changing the chain a few times a year - but I have no
    > concrete evidence that this is the case.

    My chains cost more like £20 each, and I have three joined end to end, so I try to get a few
    thousand miles out of them :)

    Of course, I ride almost exclusively on road, which brings its own problems but generally less
    serious than the mud immersion suffered by chains on bikes used for technical offroad.

  13. Neal Milne

    Neal Milne Guest

    "Pete Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was amazed at the difference when I cleaned my chain the other week. I used a combination of
    > wd40 washing up liquid and a toothbrush.
    >
    > Even so cleaning the chain is a damm messy & time consuming process. I ve heard these clip on
    > baths are actually quite good. Any one reccommend one ? and where I can get it cheaply.
    >
    > Pete. Halesowen West Mids.

    Go down to your local market and buy two cheap scrubbing brushes for 50p each. Then get yourself
    some Muc-Off. Spray brushes liberally with muc-off then sandwich the chain between them and back
    pedal the cranks spraying on some more muc-off occasionally. Make sure you sandwich the chain top to
    bottom and side-to-side. Finally rinse with a hosepipe. This operation probaby takes longer to
    describe than it does to carry out and its cheaper and more effective than those chain bath doofers
    with the rotating brushes. Mind you, don't leave the muc-off on your bike for any length of time
    though. Its brilliant for removing all sorts of cack but it can knacker the finish on shiny alloy
    bits if left on more than 5 mins.

    Neal