Best chain for Nexus hub gears?

Gentlemen:

I'm looking for a replacement chain for my Trek L700 Navigator
"Smover", which is fitted with Cyber Nexus electronic automatic gears.
The chain that came on the bike is SRAM PC10. A 1/2x3/32in chain is
required.

At the same time as fitting the new chain I want to fit a Hebie
Chainglider, which replaces a full chaincase with a clip-on plastic
runner which fits over the chain without any additional support, so
the chain should not be closed with a clip that adds to the width; max
chain width inside the Hebie Chainglider is 9mm.

Here is a list of 7 and 8 speed chains that may or may not be suitable
but are available at my mailorder dealer (www.chainreactioncycles.com
-- they offer free carriage to where I live):

Wippermann:
ConneX 808 8sp nickel plate
IntraX 708 nickel plate
IntraX 7Z1 galvanized

KMC:
X8 93 8sp

Shimano:
HG 50 7sp
HG 70 7sp
HG 90 7sp
HG 91 7sp
IG 70 8sp

SRAM:
PC 1 Nickel Single Speed
PC 68 8sp
PC 850 8sp
PC 870 8sp nickel
PC 890 8sp

Which should I cross off my list as unsuitable or unwanted?

***Of the remainder, which is the best?***

To me at present the IntraX 708 nickel and 7Z1 galvanized look
attractive on the Wippermann reputation, on price and on spec but the
truth is that I do about a thousand miles a year, so the price doesn't
matter as long as whichever chain I fit lasts a year or two. Is there
any advantage, in perhaps smoothness, in the nickel rather than the
galvanized chain? Or should I, since i live in Ireland, where it can
be pretty damp, choose the galvanized chain on principle?

TIA.

Andre Jute
There's a photo essay about my Cyber Nexus "Smover" here:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Trek Navigator L700 Smover.html

On Nov 30, 9:16 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> I'm looking for a replacement chain for my Trek L700 Navigator
> "Smover", which is fitted with Cyber Nexus electronic automatic gears.
> The chain that came on the bike is SRAM PC10. A 1/2x3/32in chain is
> required.
>
> At the same time as fitting the new chain I want to fit a Hebie
> Chainglider, which replaces a full chaincase with a clip-on plastic
> runner which fits over the chain without any additional support, so
> the chain should not be closed with a clip that adds to the width; max
> chain width inside the Hebie Chainglider is 9mm.
>
> Here is a list of 7 and 8 speed chains that may or may not be suitable
> but are available at my mailorder dealer (www.chainreactioncycles.com
> -- they offer free carriage to where I live):
>
> Wippermann:
> ConneX 808 8sp nickel plate
> IntraX 708 nickel plate
> IntraX 7Z1 galvanized
>
> KMC:
> X8 93 8sp
>
> Shimano:
> HG 50 7sp
> HG 70 7sp
> HG 90 7sp
> HG 91 7sp
> IG 70 8sp
>
> SRAM:
> PC 1 Nickel Single Speed
> PC 68 8sp
> PC 850 8sp
> PC 870 8sp nickel
> PC 890 8sp
>
> Which should I cross off my list as unsuitable or unwanted?

The PC 1 is just terrible in terms of noise, but even it is fine as
far as function. Bottom line: it matters little. I used to swap my
Nexus drivetrain's chain out every 3-4 months with a cheap nickel
plated KMC bmx chain, rarely, if ever cleaning it.

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:16:13 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>At the same time as fitting the new chain I want to fit a Hebie
>Chainglider, which replaces a full chaincase with a clip-on plastic
>runner which fits over the chain without any additional support, so
>the chain should not be closed with a clip that adds to the width; max
>chain width inside the Hebie Chainglider is 9mm.

Why on earth would you want to replace a functional full chaincase with
some crappy 'solution' to a problem you don't have with a hub gear?

Jasper

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:16:13 -0800 (PST), [email protected] may have
said:

>Gentlemen:
>
>I'm looking for a replacement chain for my Trek L700 Navigator
>"Smover", which is fitted with Cyber Nexus electronic automatic gears.
>The chain that came on the bike is SRAM PC10. A 1/2x3/32in chain is
>required.
>
>At the same time as fitting the new chain I want to fit a Hebie
>Chainglider, which replaces a full chaincase with a clip-on plastic
>runner which fits over the chain without any additional support, so
>the chain should not be closed with a clip that adds to the width; max
>chain width inside the Hebie Chainglider is 9mm.
>
>Here is a list of 7 and 8 speed chains that may or may not be suitable
>but are available at my mailorder dealer (www.chainreactioncycles.com
>-- they offer free carriage to where I live):
>
>Wippermann:
>ConneX 808 8sp nickel plate
>IntraX 708 nickel plate
>IntraX 7Z1 galvanized
>
>KMC:
>X8 93 8sp
>
>Shimano:
>HG 50 7sp
>HG 70 7sp
>HG 90 7sp
>HG 91 7sp
>IG 70 8sp
>
>SRAM:
>PC 1 Nickel Single Speed
>PC 68 8sp
>PC 850 8sp
>PC 870 8sp nickel
>PC 890 8sp
>
>Which should I cross off my list as unsuitable or unwanted?
>
>***Of the remainder, which is the best?***
>
>To me at present the IntraX 708 nickel and 7Z1 galvanized look
>attractive on the Wippermann reputation, on price and on spec but the
>truth is that I do about a thousand miles a year, so the price doesn't
>matter as long as whichever chain I fit lasts a year or two. Is there
>any advantage, in perhaps smoothness, in the nickel rather than the
>galvanized chain? Or should I, since i live in Ireland, where it can
>be pretty damp, choose the galvanized chain on principle?

My recommendation would be the SRAM PC-1 Nickel for the simple reason
that I would expect it to last a bit longer. SRAM's snaplinks do not
use a clip, nor do some of those from Wipperman (The Intrax 7Z1
information I have seen states that it is supplied with a link that is
secured with a snap clip, but I have not actually used one; this
should be checked before ordering that chain.) All of the KMC
multi-speed chain snaplinks I have seen are "clipless" as well.
Shimano, on the other hand, does not use nor offer a snaplink;
installation of their chains requires the use of a chain-breaking
tool, and the expenditure of a non-reusable pin each time the chain is
mounted. The SRAM PC-1 will be slightly wider than the multi-speed
chains, with slightly wider internal load-bearing surfaces in the
bargain. Since you have no need for the narrowest chains (they're
designed to accomodate the requirements of derailleur systems), the
slightly beefier single-speed chain would appear to be the more
rational choice. Additionally, the SRAM PC-1 chain has what is, in my
opinion, the most easily connected link of the entire bunch; a little
side flex of the chain is all that's needed to allow slipping the
loose side plate onto the pins of the other half.

If the Intrax chain's connector link is not too wide to use with the
Chainglider, I would probably put it equal with the SRAM in
suitability, with all of the other Wippermann and SRAM chains and the
KMC you mentioned just behind those two, and the Shimano chains last
due to the requirement for a tool and expendable pin for installation.

Make sure that your front sprocket is of the size (tooth count) that
is compatible with the Chainglider before you place your order.

With the setup you are running, I would expect chain life to be quite
long.

On Nov 30, 5:28 pm, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:16:13 -0800 (PST), [email protected] may have
> said:
>

> >Gentlemen:

> >I'm looking for a replacement chain for my Trek L700 Navigator
> >"Smover", which is fitted with Cyber Nexus electronic automatic gears.
> >The chain that came on the bike is SRAM PC10. A 1/2x3/32in chain is
> >required.

> >At the same time as fitting the new chain I want to fit a Hebie
> >Chainglider, which replaces a full chaincase with a clip-on plastic
> >runner which fits over the chain without any additional support, so
> >the chain should not be closed with a clip that adds to the width; max
> >chain width inside the Hebie Chainglider is 9mm.

> >Here is a list of 7 and 8 speed chains that may or may not be suitable
> >but are available at my mailorder dealer (www.chainreactioncycles.com
> >-- they offer free carriage to where I live):

> >Wippermann:
> >ConneX 808 8sp nickel plate
> >IntraX 708 nickel plate
> >IntraX 7Z1 galvanized

> >KMC:
> >X8 93 8sp

> >Shimano:
> >HG 50 7sp
> >HG 70 7sp
> >HG 90 7sp
> >HG 91 7sp
> >IG 70 8sp

> >SRAM:
> >PC 1 Nickel Single Speed
> >PC 68 8sp
> >PC 850 8sp
> >PC 870 8sp nickel
> >PC 890 8sp

> >Which should I cross off my list as unsuitable or unwanted?

> >***Of the remainder, which is the best?***

> >To me at present the IntraX 708 nickel and 7Z1 galvanized look
> >attractive on the Wippermann reputation, on price and on spec but the
> >truth is that I do about a thousand miles a year, so the price doesn't
> >matter as long as whichever chain I fit lasts a year or two. Is there
> >any advantage, in perhaps smoothness, in the nickel rather than the
> >galvanized chain? Or should I, since i live in Ireland, where it can
> >be pretty damp, choose the galvanized chain on principle?

> My recommendation would be the SRAM PC-1 Nickel for the simple reason
> that I would expect it to last a bit longer. SRAM's snaplinks do not
> use a clip, nor do some of those from Wipperman (The Intrax 7Z1
> information I have seen states that it is supplied with a link that is
> secured with a snap clip, but I have not actually used one; this
> should be checked before ordering that chain.)

I ordered the Wippermann IntraX 708 nickel plated chain. It arrived
today. The closure link appears to me to be very much like the SRAM
link on the PC-10. It certainly doesn't stand higher than any of the
other, permanent, outer plates.

>All of the KMC
> multi-speed chain snaplinks I have seen are "clipless" as well.
> Shimano, on the other hand, does not use nor offer a snaplink;
> installation of their chains requires the use of a chain-breaking
> tool, and the expenditure of a non-reusable pin each time the chain is
> mounted.

I have the necessary tools (I bought a complete set of tools and a
stand when I had to start doing my own maintenance because the LBS
hasn't the faintest idea of a sophisticated bike -- he doesn't even
own a torque wrench!) and I can get the Shimano pins delivered
overnight, but I just don't see, on the spec anyway, that a Shimano
chain is necessarily enough better to justify the premium price
against the competing chains. That's merely my opinion, of course; I
don't use enough chains to have any hard information.

>The SRAM PC-1 will be slightly wider than the multi-speed
> chains, with slightly wider internal load-bearing surfaces in the
> bargain. Since you have no need for the narrowest chains (they're
> designed to accomodate the requirements of derailleur systems), the
> slightly beefier single-speed chain would appear to be the more
> rational choice.

My groupset starts with what is essentially just a Nexus gearhub with
a computer controlled electrical stepper motor attached. The Nexus
groupset is designed to use a 3/32 chain.

>Additionally, the SRAM PC-1 chain has what is, in my
> opinion, the most easily connected link of the entire bunch; a little
> side flex of the chain is all that's needed to allow slipping the
> loose side plate onto the pins of the other half.
>
> If the Intrax chain's connector link is not too wide to use with the
> Chainglider, I would probably put it equal with the SRAM in
> suitability, with all of the other Wippermann and SRAM chains and the
> KMC you mentioned just behind those two, and the Shimano chains last
> due to the requirement for a tool and expendable pin for installation.
>
> Make sure that your front sprocket is of the size (tooth count) that
> is compatible with the Chainglider before you place your order.

Thanks. I counted. But there are in fact very few combinations that
work within the front/rear ratio of 2.0-2.1 demanded by Shimano for
use on the Nexus hubs. With strictly Shimano parts, only 38/19 and
33/16 will do it. Most of the Smovers I've heard of use 38 teeth at
the front and 18, 19 or 20 at the back. All of those 38 tooth combos
fit into the standard Hebie Chainglider; the other Chaingliders are
for Rohloff setups rather than for Shimano variants.

> With the setup you are running, I would expect chain life to be quite
> long.

How long? My other hub gear bike with a full chaincase, a Royal Dutch
Gazelle Toulouse http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Bauhaus.html,
has done some 2700km and the chain appears to be good. The Trek Smover
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Trek Navigator L700 Smover.html
has done almost 1500km and the chain measures spot on centre to centre
on a steel rule; indeed, the chain appears in better nick than when
the bike arrived after standing on a showroom floor for three years --
there was some rust apparent.

Thanks for your help.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html