Best chamois???

jjiam25

Jun 29, 2005
K i see here and there about best shorts, etc, but which ones have the best chamois, cause since I've been riding the chamois differ so much, I have Trek which is basically leather, performance bicycle which doesnt fit very well, but thick bulky chamois its OK but not great, and last pair I have is from Voler their "diamond cut" and it feels OK, but man my sitbones get very sore after like an hour in the seat, and could a chamois be the reason?

jjiam25 said:
K i see here and there about best shorts, etc, but which ones have the best chamois, cause since I've been riding the chamois differ so much, I have Trek which is basically leather, performance bicycle which doesnt fit very well, but thick bulky chamois its OK but not great, and last pair I have is from Voler their "diamond cut" and it feels OK, but man my sitbones get very sore after like an hour in the seat, and could a chamois be the reason?

Louis Garneau top of the line (Ergo g or something like that) is awesome because it is actually several varying degrees of thicknesses in different parts of the chamois.

If your sitbones are getting pained after an hour in the saddle, I'm thinking shorts have very little to do with it, and you might want to either check your fit and position or question the appropriateness of your saddle. I own four pairs of shorts, which encompass three different brands, all of them different chamois types (Nike, Pearl and Performance) and never have a problem with my sit bones even after 2, 3 hours on the bike.

It is your position, your saddle and the amount of time you are used to riding on your bike. Not necessarily in that order.

Go to a reputable shop and have them help you with your position. You may also want to try swapping saddles until you find one that fits you better.

And don't forget that shorts are just like saddles, what fits my behind may be excruciatingly painful for yours. :eek:

My favorite is the Pearl Izumi Microsensor or up. I prefer bibs to shorts as they dont ever slide down. In the winter I use the Pearl Liners under their Amfib bibs.

Well the fact of the matter is, my sitbones were measured and then they recommended the specialized one, the biggest one, so do you think that seat is good, does anyone else have any experience with it, I tried fizik, but that was before I actually get fitted for my bike. I still feel like I pull forward, specially on climbs, so I might need a higher angle stem, I currently have 5 degrees, so would that help my sitbones hurt?

Powerful Pete said:
It is your position, your saddle and the amount of time you are used to riding on your bike. Not necessarily in that order.

Go to a reputable shop and have them help you with your position. You may also want to try swapping saddles until you find one that fits you better.

And don't forget that shorts are just like saddles, what fits my behind may be excruciatingly painful for yours. :eek:
Believe 90% of it gets down to conditioning. It takes lots of longer rides to be comfortable on longer rides. If this is your first season doing rides of longer than an hour, just be patient and relief will come.

Meanwhile, it's good to get out of the saddle as much as possible while you ride. In addition to some standing climbing over the smaller hills, try taking a short stretch break on the flats. Shift into a big gear, stand and alternate pedaling and resting on one leg or the other. Try 30 seconds out of the saddle like this every 10 minutes or so, from the beginning of the ride on. (Don't wait for your butt to get sore first).

jjiam25 said:
Well the fact of the matter is, my sitbones were measured and then they recommended the specialized one, the biggest one, so do you think that seat is good, does anyone else have any experience with it, I tried fizik, but that was before I actually get fitted for my bike. I still feel like I pull forward, specially on climbs, so I might need a higher angle stem, I currently have 5 degrees, so would that help my sitbones hurt?
If they goofed up the measurement, that could explain it, but I run an Alias as well (came with my bike), and it's sized to me. Works awesome, far as I can see. I've put about 50 hours on mine, and it did take a bit of time to get used to it, probably about 10 hours for me. But seats are very personal, so it may not be the best seat for you. If you had luck with your last seat, I'd go back to it or something very similar.

As far as "pulling forward", sounds like either your stem is too short or your top tube is too long. Did your shop fit you? And if you're too long on the bike, odds are your back would feel out of sorts rather than your butt.

Where do most of you guys go for your shorts and shirts? I was going to take a trip to my LBS but figured their most likely way overpriced. Any sites good for ordering clothes or should I just break down and go to the store?

-Cameron

camhabib said:
Where do most of you guys go for your shorts and shirts? I was going to take a trip to my LBS but figured their most likely way overpriced. Any sites good for ordering clothes or should I just break down and go to the store?

-Cameron
Lots of online sites to go to. Supergo, Nashbar, Performance all come to mind. (I'm lucky enough to actually have physical locations of Performance and Supergo near me) Keep in mind that the "house brands" that they carry are pretty much shite for the most part. My Supergo jerseys and my Performance shorts are passable, but nothing I'd really buy again, if given the choice of a top brand. Those companies do carry the big brands too, and sometimes you can swing a good deal. If you want team wear, go to procyclegear.com. Sometimes you can get a good deal on shorts or jerseys from them and get real top quality stuff. The good thing about stores you can physically go to is that you can actually try on and see the items before you buy them.

camhabib said:

-Cameron

Also... Ebay. Read descriptions thoroghly .

I'd like to recommend Castelli Comfortemp chamois ......... to me, the ultimate- they flex , have a "memory foam" type padding to them, and are saddle shape/cut ....... and keep your skin at the 98.6 degree temp . ........ overall , a super chamois !!!