Best Cities for Road and Mountain Training?

fasterbetter

Jan 21, 2007
Hey all-
I live in Los Angeles, but my work could be done in any city or town within an hour of a major airport.

Outstanding racing scene here, but it gets old riding the small selection of somewhat safe training routes.

Also, I love mountain biking, but here in LA it requires quite a bit of driving unless you're lucky enough to live near the beach--my rent's already $2,000 and at the beach it would be about $4,000-$5,000 for the same thing, so that's not an option (unless one of the Medici's rises from the dead and decides to float my rent so I can get in more mountain biking--Lorenzo, are you listening homey?).

I'd like to find somewhere with plenty of lightly trafficed roads with great scenery for road training, plenty of interesting trails for mountain biking, and a strong arts/culture scene. And nice weather.

If you live somewhere that fits the bill or can recommend something, please respond.

Thanks!

fasterbetter said:
Hey all-
I live in Los Angeles, but my work could be done in any city or town within an hour of a major airport.

Outstanding racing scene here, but it gets old riding the small selection of somewhat safe training routes.

Also, I love mountain biking, but here in LA it requires quite a bit of driving unless you're lucky enough to live near the beach--my rent's already $2,000 and at the beach it would be about $4,000-$5,000 for the same thing, so that's not an option (unless one of the Medici's rises from the dead and decides to float my rent so I can get in more mountain biking--Lorenzo, are you listening homey?).

I'd like to find somewhere with plenty of lightly trafficed roads with great scenery for road training, plenty of interesting trails for mountain biking, and a strong arts/culture scene. And nice weather.

If you live somewhere that fits the bill or can recommend something, please respond.

Thanks!

Marin? East Bay Hills? Petaluma? CA
Boulder? Colorado Springs? CO
Bits of AZ
Bits of CA

And that's just what I learnt from one year in the US! The possibilities are endless...

Duluth, MN. Great mountain biking, many untraveled roads, lots of trees, lots of nature, and beautiful Lake Suprerior as your scenery. Last week I ran into a pack of wolves. It was pretty cool. But only tough guys can train here.:D