Best "clean" folding bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Sep 15, 2004.

  1. Im looking for a bike that can be folded and stored in
    a car trunk.

    I want something that has a very clean and functional
    system of folding cause Im wanting to keep this bike in
    my car trunk and go for a ride on it during my breaks
    at work. So the bike will be folded and unfolded at
    least twice a day.

    I cant leave a high quality bike at work.... no space
    to secure it safely.... hence the desire to keep it in
    my car

    I once owned an early model Bike Friday but sold it
    cause it was more designed for "transporting" than it
    was daily folding and unfolding.

    Again.... I need a HIGH quality bike that can EASILY be
    unfolded and ready to ride on quickly.....and then
    quickly folded back up for storage in my car

    Advice?

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Bike Friday

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Im looking for a bike that can be folded and stored in
    > a car trunk.
    >
    > I want something that has a very clean and functional
    > system of folding cause Im wanting to keep this bike in
    > my car trunk and go for a ride on it during my breaks
    > at work. So the bike will be folded and unfolded at
    > least twice a day.
    >
    > I cant leave a high quality bike at work.... no space
    > to secure it safely.... hence the desire to keep it in
    > my car
    >
    > I once owned an early model Bike Friday but sold it
    > cause it was more designed for "transporting" than it
    > was daily folding and unfolding.
    >
    > Again.... I need a HIGH quality bike that can EASILY be
    > unfolded and ready to ride on quickly.....and then
    > quickly folded back up for storage in my car
    >
    > Advice?

  3. RE/
    >Again.... I need a HIGH quality bike that can EASILY be
    >unfolded and ready to ride on quickly.....and then
    >quickly folded back up for storage in my car

    Tangentially, how about switching over to a vehicle that will hold a regular
    bike straight-up? ...maybe a mini-van with two rows of seats removed?

    My security situation is pretty mellow, so my own solution has been lock/cabling
    the bike to a rear rack. My current vehicle is coming up on 120k...and if
    the security situation deteriorated, I'd have to think seriously in terms of:
    http://www.fl-sprinter.com/Cargo/cargo.html

    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:50:43 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >RE/
    >>Again.... I need a HIGH quality bike that can EASILY be
    >>unfolded and ready to ride on quickly.....and then
    >>quickly folded back up for storage in my car

    >Tangentially, how about switching over to a vehicle that will hold a regular
    >bike straight-up? ...maybe a mini-van with two rows of seats removed?

    My last car (small sedan) could fit my bike (58cm) in the truck by
    just taking the wheels off.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. >Tangentially, how about switching over to a vehicle that will hold a regular
    >bike straight-up? ...maybe a mini-van with two rows of seats removed?

    Actually, yes, Ive thought abt that as well

    I currently have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES. Nice little car but
    absolutely no cargo space capabilities

    So I am kicking around a van but I need to get good gas milage too.
    Is that possible with a van? Good gas milage?

  6. >My current vehicle is coming up on 120k...and if
    >the security situation deteriorated, I'd have to think seriously in terms of:
    >http://www.fl-sprinter.com/Cargo/cargo.html

    Wow. Nice!

    But I bet that thing is expensive. No?

  7. >My last car (small sedan) could fit my bike (58cm) in the truck by
    >just taking the wheels off.

    Don't wanna have to do that each twice a day tho.

    At least that's what Im thinking for now anyway

  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >>My last car (small sedan) could fit my bike (58cm) in the truck by
    >>just taking the wheels off.

    > Don't wanna have to do that each twice a day tho.
    >
    > At least that's what Im thinking for now anyway

    Actually I don't see why not. Having owned a Bike Friday
    for 10 years and seeing a variety of Bromptons and
    other folders, I still find that the quickest bike to drop
    in the trunk of my Toyota Corolla is my standard (60 cm)
    road bike. Both wheels pop off in a couple seconds and
    that lets it fit easily while leaving the rear seat up.
    Of course it doesn't have any 'lawyer lips' or other
    impediments to proper operation of the quick release
    mechanism.

  9. On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:03:20 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

    >Im looking for a bike that can be folded and stored in
    >a car trunk.
    >
    >I want something that has a very clean and functional
    >system of folding cause Im wanting to keep this bike in
    >my car trunk and go for a ride on it during my breaks
    >at work. So the bike will be folded and unfolded at
    >least twice a day.
    >
    >I cant leave a high quality bike at work.... no space
    >to secure it safely.... hence the desire to keep it in
    >my car
    >
    >I once owned an early model Bike Friday but sold it
    >cause it was more designed for "transporting" than it
    >was daily folding and unfolding.
    >
    >Again.... I need a HIGH quality bike that can EASILY be
    >unfolded and ready to ride on quickly.....and then
    >quickly folded back up for storage in my car
    >
    >Advice?

    Giatex.
    Technically not a *folding* bike, but a stretching one...well made and
    built to withstand frequent stretching and compacting, and feels a lot
    more sturdy to ride than any folding bike i've seen. Unfortunately
    their site is all flash animation and annoying music, but don't let
    that dissuade you.
    Here's a non-annoying site that shows it in various stages of
    folding/stretching: http://www.libertybicycles.com/gallery/album01
    And some more info:
    http://www.nextten.com/healthwellness/stretchbike.aspx

    -Maggie

  10. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  11. On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:37:09 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

    >>My last car (small sedan) could fit my bike (58cm) in the truck by
    >>just taking the wheels off.

    >Don't wanna have to do that each twice a day tho.

    I can't imagine that taking wheels off a road bike is any more time
    consuming or difficult than folding a bike. It only takes seconds.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  12. SuperSlinky

    SuperSlinky Guest

    [email protected] said...

    > >Tangentially, how about switching over to a vehicle that will hold a regular
    > >bike straight-up? ...maybe a mini-van with two rows of seats removed?

    > Actually, yes, Ive thought abt that as well
    >
    > I currently have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES. Nice little car but
    > absolutely no cargo space capabilities
    >
    > So I am kicking around a van but I need to get good gas milage too.
    > Is that possible with a van? Good gas milage?

    Yes, mileage should be around 25mpg even for a V6. My 4cyl 5-speed mini
    SUV gets about 27mpg highway. If you don't want a van or SUV, find a
    hatchback if they still make them. My '87 Mustang GT hatchback was great
    for carrying one bike. I think I had to take off the front wheel, but
    that was all. I bought the SUV just for the cargo carrying capability.
    For one bike, I just open the back and lay the bike on its side. For
    more bikes, take the front wheels off and place them vertically. I have
    also fit bikes in the back seat area of cars by taking off both wheels.

  13. [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >My current vehicle is coming up on 120k...and if
    > >the security situation deteriorated, I'd have to think seriously in terms of:
    > >http://www.fl-sprinter.com/Cargo/cargo.html

    > Wow. Nice!
    >
    > But I bet that thing is expensive. No?

    Haven't had the nerve to find out yet.

    But I do know it's reasonably economical fuel-wise: 22 mpg on diesel.

  14. >Actually I don't see why not. Having owned a Bike Friday
    >for 10 years and seeing a variety of Bromptons and
    >other folders, I still find that the quickest bike to drop
    >in the trunk of my Toyota Corolla is my standard (60 cm)
    >road bike. Both wheels pop off in a couple seconds and
    >that lets it fit easily while leaving the rear seat up.
    >Of course it doesn't have any 'lawyer lips' or other
    >impediments to proper operation of the quick release
    >mechanism.

    Hmm..... you guy shave got me to thinking here

    Maybe I just "think" I need a folding bike huh?

    My current mt bike does indeed have quick release hubs.
    And I can take the front wheel off and fit it in the
    trunk.

    My main goal here is to always have my bike available
    for use by carrying it in my vehicle at all times

    By doing this I can then "assemble" it when I get to
    work and leave it leaning against a wall for use for a
    quick ride during my breaks and lunch hr.

    Im in DIRE need of reg daily exercise. Ive tried riding
    back/forth to work but it just seems to me that taking
    my bike with me and riding it during breaks will work
    out better for me

  15. >Giatex.
    >Technically not a *folding* bike, but a stretching one...well made and
    >built to withstand frequent stretching and compacting, and feels a lot
    >more sturdy to ride than any folding bike i've seen. Unfortunately
    >their site is all flash animation and annoying music, but don't let
    >that dissuade you.
    >Here's a non-annoying site that shows it in various stages of
    >folding/stretching: http://www.libertybicycles.com/gallery/album01
    >And some more info:
    >http://www.nextten.com/healthwellness/stretchbike.aspx
    >
    >-Maggie

    Thanks Maggie! Very interesting!

    Ill keep it under advisement

    Do you own one yourself?

  16. Tim Howe

    Tim Howe Guest

    > Im looking for a bike that can be folded and stored in
    > a car trunk.
    >
    > I want something that has a very clean and functional
    > system of folding cause Im wanting to keep this bike in
    > my car trunk and go for a ride on it during my breaks
    > at work. So the bike will be folded and unfolded at
    > least twice a day.

    <snip>

    If you have a nice bike already, try just doing the "wheels off" thing
    for a week or two. My dad does almost exactly what you are describing
    everyday with his normal 58cm road bike in a saturn SL. He takes only
    the front wheel off and leaves the rear seats down. He can get the
    bike out and rideable in about 45 seconds and back in in about a
    minute. I've done similar things with my Honda Civic but don't need
    to anymore as A) I bike commute. and B) Even if I didn't I park in a
    realitively secure place so an external rack and simple lock would
    suffice. Still, at my best I could get the bike rideable from the
    civic in about a minute and a half, and back in in about a minute.
    (it was always hard to get out of the civic for some reason).

    Note, both bikes have laywer lips and all. But a practiced few finger
    spins of the skewer makes them only mildly annoying.

    Tim

  17. > I want something that has a very clean and functional system
    > of folding cause Im wanting to keep this bike in my car trunk
    > and go for a ride on it during my breaks at work.

    If it's cleanliness you want, it's hard to beat a chainless:

    http://www.chainless.com/foldingbikes.html

  18. >> >http://www.fl-sprinter.com/Cargo/cargo.html

    >> Wow. Nice!
    >>
    >> But I bet that thing is expensive. No?

    >Haven't had the nerve to find out yet.
    >
    >But I do know it's reasonably economical fuel-wise: 22 mpg on diesel.

    Are you serious abt buying one?

  19. RE/
    >Are you serious abt buying one?

    I've gotten as far as trying on a couple. Windsurfing is my real agenda for
    something like that. Stashing a bike would just be icing on the cake.

    Right now, my main reservations (aside from money and the fact that my current
    vehicle is holding up well...) are around driver fit (I'm 6'5", long-legged) and
    the availability of some sort of cargo net so what's inside doesn't hit me and
    my passenger in the back of a neck in a minor accident.

    They have cargo walls, but those limit the backwards movement of the driver's
    seat. I'm thinking some sort of removable net made out of seatbelt-sized
    webbing....but haven't seen anything like it yet.

    OTOH, I've corresponded with a guy who is 6'7" and loves his.
    --
    PeteCresswell