best/cleanest chain lube

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dj Blag, May 31, 2003.

  1. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
    using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually builds
    up. Thanks! chas

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I am in the midst of a three year experiment with Dumonde Tech's Bicycle Chain Lube Lite. I had more
    than fifteen thousand miles on a pair of SRAM chains without significant wear on them when I had to
    change the cluster. With the new cluster I felt obligated to put new chains in service. I went from
    WL to Dumonde Tech and from cleaning in gasoline to cleaning in the dishwasher. Some day I'll
    evaluate the wear and comment.

    "Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
    > using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
    > builds up. Thanks! chas

  3. John W

    John W Guest

  4. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    I have found lots of positive comments about the Dumonde Products. Anyone know where to get
    them? Chas

  5. Dj Blag wrote:
    > I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
    > using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
    > builds up. Thanks! chas

    Boeshield T-9 works well, great for wet conditions. Doesn't seem to attract much dirt. I can't
    address build up, as I clean my chain thoroughly on a regular basis. How often do you give your
    chain a good cleaning?

    -John

  6. Eric Hirsch

    Eric Hirsch Guest

    Try Pedro's Ice Wax. It's fantastic. No buildup. You won't be sorry.

    Eric Hirsch Rans Stratus Rhode Island

  7. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    I used to clean my upright every 200 miles or so, less when I got White Lightning. Now I have the
    Phantom, I want to go back to something less gunky. Chas

  8. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Dj Blag wrote:
    > I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
    > using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
    > builds up. Thanks!

    I still use WL. It seems to be the best of all I've tried at preventing a calf tattoo. I clean it
    occasionally with Pledge, which contains ingredients to prevent that dreaded wax buildup. Note: I
    don't ride in the rain much; WL doesn't do well in the wet.
    --

    John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

  9. Don

    Don Guest

    Here is another vote for Ice Wax. It is clean and does not build up like that nasty White Lighting.
    Pedro's IW can be removed with a cheap cleaner like Simple Green. I have been using it on my Zak for
    four years and will use it on my Giro when it arrives. Downside: You have to lube each ride for the
    first couple of rides after a chain cleaning. That is a big job on a bent chain :)

    I also like Dumonde, but not for bents with the possibility of intimate chain contact with body
    parts. I use Dumond on my Merlin. Only have to lube once after a cleaning. Unfortunately, it does
    attract dirt and I can not convince myself to follow their instructions on NOT cleaning the
    chain--just add more lube and wipe. The trail I ride has decomposed granite along the edges (and
    consequently some on the trail). That fine grit is very abrasive so I always clean my chain instead
    of just adding more lube. Downside: That stuff is the worst smelling chemical I have ever used. I
    transport my bike in the back of my Subaru wagon. I have to lube and let the chain dry for two days
    before I can transport it--otherwise, it is lube at the trail head. Saves my nose and my liver.

    [email protected] (Eric Hirsch) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Try Pedro's Ice Wax. It's fantastic. No buildup. You won't be sorry.
    >
    > Eric Hirsch Rans Stratus Rhode Island

  10. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Doug,

    Please explain the "dishwasher technique" it sounds interesting.

    Thanks SW

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I went from WL to Dumonde Tech and from cleaning in gasoline to cleaning in the dishwasher. Some
    > day I'll evaluate the wear and comment.

  11. I like Boeshield. The chain runs very quietly. It is easy to apply. It isn't too dirty. I replace
    the chain once a year, so I can't speak to chain life. To me, to preserve the other components in
    the drive train, chain replacement is a cheap investment.

  12. >Boeshield T-9 works well, great for wet conditions. Doesn't seem to attract much dirt. I can't
    >address build up, as I clean my chain thoroughly on a regular basis. How often do you give your
    >chain a good cleaning?

    Here's another vote for Boeshield; Ice Wax causes rust, and some other waxes I tried washed off in
    minutes. Oils pick up too much dirt. I average 10.000 km a year, (too) often in the rain, clean the
    chain after about 4.000 km and change it after 5.000 km or a bit more.

    Mark van Gorkom.

  13. dboring

    dboring Guest

    I use ProLink.

    It is a silicon based lubricant/cleaner. I use it spare-ingly and have had great results.

    Don Boring Glendora, CA. USA EZ-1 SC, Lightning Thunderbolt

  14. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Once I cleaned the exterior of the chain and was concerned with the grittiness that I felt on
    twisting the chain. I wanted to rinse lots of water through the internals of the chain and the
    dishwasher seemed logical. I no longer feel grittiness in my chain and it is enviro-friendly.

    I clean the exterior so as to not upset the wife too much. Remove the extraneous stuff from the DW -
    dishes, baskets and so on and lay the chain out on the lowest level. Then I run it.

    "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Doug,
    >
    > Please explain the "dishwasher technique" it sounds interesting.
    >
    > Thanks SW
    >

    > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I went from WL to Dumonde Tech and from cleaning in gasoline to cleaning in the dishwasher. Some
    > > day I'll evaluate the wear and comment.

  15. Harv

    Harv Guest

    I use Boeshield too, but with 80 or 90 bucks worth of chain on the bike, I think it might be cheaper
    to replace rear clusters. I tape newspaper over the chain side of my wheels when I apply the lube.
    It's easier to keep it off the brake surfaces than it is to clean it off. "Alan Mushnick"
    > I like Boeshield. The chain runs very quietly. It is easy to apply. It isn't too dirty. I replace
    > the chain once a year, so I can't speak to chain life. To me, to preserve the other components in
    > the drive train, chain replacement is a cheap investment.

  16. Bobinator

    Bobinator Guest

    "Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
    > using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
    > builds up. Thanks! chas

    I have tried several lubes--Tri-Flow, Ballistol, dry Teflon sprays--but the one I like best is
    Prolink. I use it one my Phantom and my mountian bike. It keeps the chain running smooth and does
    not gunk up or attract dirt. After taking my mountian bike through the mud the only thing clean
    afterwards was the chain. None of the shee-it stuck to the chain. Tri-flow is good, but you must
    always clean the chain and re-apply. The dry Teflon sprays SUCK.

  17. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Bobinator) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
    >> using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
    >> builds up. Thanks! chas
    >

    > I have tried several lubes--Tri-Flow, Ballistol, dry Teflon sprays--but the one I like best is
    > Prolink. I use it one my Phantom and my mountian bike. It keeps the chain running smooth and does
    > not gunk up or attract dirt. After taking my mountian bike through the mud the only thing clean
    > afterwards was the chain. None of the shee-it stuck to the chain. Tri-flow is good, but you must
    > always clean the chain and re-apply. The dry Teflon sprays SUCK.

    I'm with you on that, would extend it to the "dissolved candles in solvent" sprays as well. ProLink
    has worked very well for me. It makes the chain run quiet, which IMHO is an indication of
    lubrication going on. I use Boeshield for other stuff, but more as a preservative/rust preventor.
    Tri-Flow and Tri-Flon both unfortunately are magnets for dirt. They smell good though!

    rorschandt

    --
    <A HREF="mailto:p[email protected][127.0.0.1]"

  18. I have gone to BOSHEILDS exclusivly for my shop and personal use. Its clean, quiet and easy to
    apply. PEDROS Ice Wax is a good choice too. I find that chainlife and cassette life has much to do
    with the lubricants ability to not attract grit thus reduce wear. However, If you do any kind of
    real mileage say 5K a year or more, depending on enviroment and chain care, a new chain each year is
    called for. With over 5K on the AERO its time for a new chain, but then again its helpful when your
    hobby/passion is your business. The new hollowpin SRAM chains are really cool lookin'.

    news:[email protected]...