best/cleanest chain lube

I also use Prolink and think it is a good lube, but cannot say it is particularly clean. I find that
200 miles is about the most I can get without reapplying. I use the Prolink spray liberally and then
blow the chain with air. Then the Prolink chain lube and a good wiping with a rag. It is clean for
awhile, but nowhere as clean as White Lightning. However it does not build up like WL and therefore
the process of cleaning and lubing I just descripted in quick and easy.

"Bobinator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...

On Sat, 31 May 2003 19:06:16 GMT, "Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
>using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
>builds up.

I will give you the definitive answer: it completely depends on where you live. Here in the
semi-arid western US, we can get by with very light oil. It wouldn't perform well at all in wetter
or grimier areas.

Find a local mechanic you really trust and ask them what they use. Their answer will be a better
starting point than what you get here.

Personally, I would never remove and completely clean a chain -- I like riding more than cleaning.
Spray it with WD40, wipe it down well, relube it and hit the road. Then again, this may also be
related to where I live.

Best regards,

-- Robert

I remember about 15 yrs. ago when Tri-Flow was the only bike chain lube out there. Thank god that
those days are over. I think it's the most "gunky" of all the lubes, it is a nightmare to clean a
chain that has been treated with Tri-Flow.

Until they perfect shaft or belt drive we are just going to have to deal with chains and they
mess they cause. Nothing is a 100% clean, I do not think chain lubes and clean go together. The
waxes built up, the petroleum and silicon based lubes attract dirt. ProLink seems like it does
the best job of both lubricating and holding the dirt down. They are all compromises none of them
are perfect.

John

> > I have tried several lubes--Tri-Flow, Ballistol, dry Teflon sprays--but the one I like best is
> > Prolink. I use it one my Phantom and my mountian bike. It keeps the chain running smooth and
> > does not gunk up or attract dirt. After taking my mountian bike through the mud the only thing
> > clean afterwards was the chain. None of the shee-it stuck to the chain. Tri-flow is good, but
> > you must always clean the chain and re-apply. The dry Teflon sprays SUCK.
> >

> I'm with you on that, would extend it to the "dissolved candles in
solvent"
> sprays as well. ProLink has worked very well for me. It makes the chain
run
> quiet, which IMHO is an indication of lubrication going on. I use
Boeshield
> for other stuff, but more as a preservative/rust preventor. Tri-Flow and Tri-Flon both
> unfortunately are magnets for dirt. They smell good though!
>

> rorschandt
>
> --
> <A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"

I'm not sure there's a secret formula or a perfect lube. Here in Boise, Iderho, once I got tired of
the black chain marks from TriFlo, I've used waxes for the last 10 years, including the worst of my
mountain biking days. I've been using White Lightning as long as I can remember. All I've ever done
is thoroughly and properly lube the chain (thanks to Brian's expert instructions) every 200 miles or
so and, of course, after rain. The chain is always shiny, I lube if it starts to darken or any rust
shows up. That's all I've ever done. I got 5,000 miles out of the factory chain on my TE, the wrench
told me I could run for plenty more but that it would be prudent to change before a long tour. The
replacement SRAM has 2,800 miles on it.

david boise ID

Hey, Robert!

I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil, it is good for lubrication, but it is filthy.

I just ordered Phil Wood Tenacious oil from Sheldon Browns Web. I am looking forward to trying that. I got some orange cleaner to clean the drive train before I put any new on.

On 2 Jun 2003 21:51:08 -0700, [email protected] (David Bogie) wrote:

>I'm not sure there's a secret formula or a perfect lube. Here in Boise, Iderho, once I got tired of
>the black chain marks from TriFlo, I've used waxes for the last 10 years, including the worst of my
>mountain biking days. I've been using White Lightning as long as I can remember.

Hey, David! I haven't obtained any yet, but Brian is recommending the light Boeing stuff these days.
I'm still using TriFlo simply because I'm lazy and I have some. The TriFlo is definitely needlessly
heavy for Boise.

-- Robert, living with the black chain marks for now

I'm not big on doing maintence either (tinkerings not the same thing). Thats why my bike is usually
pretty dirty and I seldom do much to clean the chain unless it comes off the bike for another
reason. I like T-9 because it is easy to use and doesn't appear to build up as much as White
Lightning. I found if you wipe off the WL after application the chain stays pretty clean but I still
got lots of waxy build up around the cogs and chain rings. T-9 is easier to use gets less build up
but will leave a black mark if you touch the chain. It also holds up better in wet weather though
not as well as dirtier lubes. It seems to be a good balance for my use. Craig

[email protected] (Robert Stevahn) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 31 May 2003 19:06:16 GMT, "Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
> >using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
> >builds up.
>
> I will give you the definitive answer: it completely depends on where you live. Here in the
> semi-arid western US, we can get by with very light oil. It wouldn't perform well at all in wetter
> or grimier areas.
>
> Find a local mechanic you really trust and ask them what they use. Their answer will be a better
> starting point than what you get here.
>
> Personally, I would never remove and completely clean a chain -- I like riding more than cleaning.
> Spray it with WD40, wipe it down well, relube it and hit the road. Then again, this may also be
> related to where I live.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -- Robert

I have been using PW Tenacious Oil for 25 years. Never thought of using it on a chain? It would be
like using STP. Phil is great for coating threads, lubricating clamp areas to decrease the incidence
of creaking, it was/is my favorite Freewheel Lube and I used it during my racing years in Campy
Hubs. Lighter than grease but had more staying power than Sturmey Archer Oil. Put on a chain and it
will collect bugs, paper, sand, hair, pollen, etc. Uck...

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil, it is good for lubrication, but it is filthy.
>
> I just ordered Phil Wood Tenacious oil from Sheldon Browns Web. I am looking forward to trying
> that. I got some orange cleaner to clean the drive train before I put any new on.
>

> --
> G19 and a V-Rex

Originally posted by Dj Blag
Which one do you use? Chas "PaPa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I prefer Moly. Spray a clean chain, wait a minute, then wipe the excess. No build-up.
> http://drislide.com/dry_lubricants.htm

I use the 4 fl.oz. spout-bottle w/ needle applicator (DSL215), although 5 oz. aerosol is available. Begin with a clean dry chain, new or used and soak it with Dri-Slide. When it dries (about 30 seconds), simply wipe off the excess. I also use it on all the cables.

Originally posted by Jude T. McGloin
I have been using PW Tenacious Oil for 25 years. Never thought of using it on a chain? It would be
like using STP. Phil is great for coating threads, lubricating clamp areas to decrease the incidence
of creaking, it was/is my favorite Freewheel Lube and I used it during my racing years in Campy
Hubs. Lighter than grease but had more staying power than Sturmey Archer Oil. Put on a chain and it
will collect bugs, paper, sand, hair, pollen, etc. Uck...

Oh no Jude, don't tell me that. This is what is recommended by Sheldon Brown as his favorite.

Me thinks I may have spent money for nuthin!