best/cleanest chain lube

Dj Blag

Guest
I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually builds
up. Thanks! chas

I am in the midst of a three year experiment with Dumonde Tech's Bicycle Chain Lube Lite. I had more
than fifteen thousand miles on a pair of SRAM chains without significant wear on them when I had to
change the cluster. With the new cluster I felt obligated to put new chains in service. I went from
WL to Dumonde Tech and from cleaning in gasoline to cleaning in the dishwasher. Some day I'll
evaluate the wear and comment.

"Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
> using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
> builds up. Thanks! chas

I have found lots of positive comments about the Dumonde Products. Anyone know where to get
them? Chas

Dj Blag wrote:
> I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
> using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
> builds up. Thanks! chas

Boeshield T-9 works well, great for wet conditions. Doesn't seem to attract much dirt. I can't
address build up, as I clean my chain thoroughly on a regular basis. How often do you give your
chain a good cleaning?

-John

Try Pedro's Ice Wax. It's fantastic. No buildup. You won't be sorry.

Eric Hirsch Rans Stratus Rhode Island

I used to clean my upright every 200 miles or so, less when I got White Lightning. Now I have the
Phantom, I want to go back to something less gunky. Chas

Dj Blag wrote:
> I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
> using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
> builds up. Thanks!

I still use WL. It seems to be the best of all I've tried at preventing a calf tattoo. I clean it
occasionally with Pledge, which contains ingredients to prevent that dreaded wax buildup. Note: I
don't ride in the rain much; WL doesn't do well in the wet.
--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Here is another vote for Ice Wax. It is clean and does not build up like that nasty White Lighting.
Pedro's IW can be removed with a cheap cleaner like Simple Green. I have been using it on my Zak for
four years and will use it on my Giro when it arrives. Downside: You have to lube each ride for the
first couple of rides after a chain cleaning. That is a big job on a bent chain :)

I also like Dumonde, but not for bents with the possibility of intimate chain contact with body
parts. I use Dumond on my Merlin. Only have to lube once after a cleaning. Unfortunately, it does
attract dirt and I can not convince myself to follow their instructions on NOT cleaning the
chain--just add more lube and wipe. The trail I ride has decomposed granite along the edges (and
consequently some on the trail). That fine grit is very abrasive so I always clean my chain instead
of just adding more lube. Downside: That stuff is the worst smelling chemical I have ever used. I
transport my bike in the back of my Subaru wagon. I have to lube and let the chain dry for two days
before I can transport it--otherwise, it is lube at the trail head. Saves my nose and my liver.

[email protected] (Eric Hirsch) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Try Pedro's Ice Wax. It's fantastic. No buildup. You won't be sorry.
>
> Eric Hirsch Rans Stratus Rhode Island

Doug,

Please explain the "dishwasher technique" it sounds interesting.

Thanks SW

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I went from WL to Dumonde Tech and from cleaning in gasoline to cleaning in the dishwasher. Some
> day I'll evaluate the wear and comment.

I like Boeshield. The chain runs very quietly. It is easy to apply. It isn't too dirty. I replace
the chain once a year, so I can't speak to chain life. To me, to preserve the other components in
the drive train, chain replacement is a cheap investment.

>Boeshield T-9 works well, great for wet conditions. Doesn't seem to attract much dirt. I can't
>address build up, as I clean my chain thoroughly on a regular basis. How often do you give your
>chain a good cleaning?

Here's another vote for Boeshield; Ice Wax causes rust, and some other waxes I tried washed off in
minutes. Oils pick up too much dirt. I average 10.000 km a year, (too) often in the rain, clean the
chain after about 4.000 km and change it after 5.000 km or a bit more.

Mark van Gorkom.

I use ProLink.

It is a silicon based lubricant/cleaner. I use it spare-ingly and have had great results.

Don Boring Glendora, CA. USA EZ-1 SC, Lightning Thunderbolt

Once I cleaned the exterior of the chain and was concerned with the grittiness that I felt on
twisting the chain. I wanted to rinse lots of water through the internals of the chain and the
dishwasher seemed logical. I no longer feel grittiness in my chain and it is enviro-friendly.

I clean the exterior so as to not upset the wife too much. Remove the extraneous stuff from the DW -
dishes, baskets and so on and lay the chain out on the lowest level. Then I run it.

"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doug,
>
> Please explain the "dishwasher technique" it sounds interesting.
>
> Thanks SW
>

> "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I went from WL to Dumonde Tech and from cleaning in gasoline to cleaning in the dishwasher. Some
> > day I'll evaluate the wear and comment.

I use Boeshield too, but with 80 or 90 bucks worth of chain on the bike, I think it might be cheaper
to replace rear clusters. I tape newspaper over the chain side of my wheels when I apply the lube.
It's easier to keep it off the brake surfaces than it is to clean it off. "Alan Mushnick"
> I like Boeshield. The chain runs very quietly. It is easy to apply. It isn't too dirty. I replace
> the chain once a year, so I can't speak to chain life. To me, to preserve the other components in
> the drive train, chain replacement is a cheap investment.

"Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
> using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
> builds up. Thanks! chas

I have tried several lubes--Tri-Flow, Ballistol, dry Teflon sprays--but the one I like best is
Prolink. I use it one my Phantom and my mountian bike. It keeps the chain running smooth and does
not gunk up or attract dirt. After taking my mountian bike through the mud the only thing clean
afterwards was the chain. None of the shee-it stuck to the chain. Tri-flow is good, but you must
always clean the chain and re-apply. The dry Teflon sprays SUCK.

[email protected] (Bobinator) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I know this seems like an oxymoron, but what is the groups opinion about chain lubes? I have been
>> using White Lightning for a few years, but I'm getting tired of all the gunk that eventually
>> builds up. Thanks! chas
>

> I have tried several lubes--Tri-Flow, Ballistol, dry Teflon sprays--but the one I like best is
> Prolink. I use it one my Phantom and my mountian bike. It keeps the chain running smooth and does
> not gunk up or attract dirt. After taking my mountian bike through the mud the only thing clean
> afterwards was the chain. None of the shee-it stuck to the chain. Tri-flow is good, but you must
> always clean the chain and re-apply. The dry Teflon sprays SUCK.

I'm with you on that, would extend it to the "dissolved candles in solvent" sprays as well. ProLink
has worked very well for me. It makes the chain run quiet, which IMHO is an indication of
lubrication going on. I use Boeshield for other stuff, but more as a preservative/rust preventor.
Tri-Flow and Tri-Flon both unfortunately are magnets for dirt. They smell good though!

rorschandt

--
<A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"

I have gone to BOSHEILDS exclusivly for my shop and personal use. Its clean, quiet and easy to
apply. PEDROS Ice Wax is a good choice too. I find that chainlife and cassette life has much to do
with the lubricants ability to not attract grit thus reduce wear. However, If you do any kind of
real mileage say 5K a year or more, depending on enviroment and chain care, a new chain each year is
called for. With over 5K on the AERO its time for a new chain, but then again its helpful when your
hobby/passion is your business. The new hollowpin SRAM chains are really cool lookin'.

news:[email protected]...