Best Clinchers

sevenrider310

Jan 20, 2004
Ive been on Pro Race and Conti Attck/Force...both great tires..just wondering what you folks are riding? Anyone have good results from TUFO Tubular Clinchers?

I haven't tried any yet, but I'm gunna get some Vredesteins soon. They seem to be reasonably priced, and even the mid-range models are rated to 145psi

GP Supersonics feel EXACTLY like the best tubulars and I get well over 1000 miles out of them, barring road hazards. The first set I used were worn out, front and rear, at 2400 miles and I was very lucky to avoid all road hazards but my second set only lasted 1300 miles on the rear, front is still fine.

I replaced these with GP3000's and the feel is so "clincher".

Hi,

I am very enthusiastic about Vittoria's Rubino's. They're cheap (just 9,95 Euro each) and 100% reliable, which can't be said from the more expensive tires. The top of the line tyres ride just a little nicer, while paying a heavy price as well as with the number of punctures as financially.

Last year within three rides I killed two sets (4 tyres) of GP 3000 tires (hitting little stones in the descents). During a descent both my Vredestein Volantes (yes indeed... just bought for the beautifull Bianchi colour) exploded without any reason. These Volante tires are really dangerous!! I informed the factory, but they refuse to do anything about it. This tyre is just to weak and can explode any time!

Now I drive Rubino in training and competition and open corsa just in competition.

Regards, Frnak.

BIANCHI_EURO said:
Hi,

I am very enthusiastic about Vittoria's Rubino's. They're cheap (just 9,95 Euro each) and 100% reliable, which can't be said from the more expensive tires. The top of the line tyres ride just a little nicer, while paying a heavy price as well as with the number of punctures as financially.

Last year within three rides I killed two sets (4 tyres) of GP 3000 tires (hitting little stones in the descents). During a descent both my Vredestein Volantes (yes indeed... just bought for the beautifull Bianchi colour) exploded without any reason. These Volante tires are really dangerous!! I informed the factory, but they refuse to do anything about it. This tyre is just to weak and can explode any time!

Now I drive Rubino in training and competition and open corsa just in competition.

Regards, Frnak.
I am very anti-Mich Pro Race. Flats galore.

I ride Specialized Mondo Pro and S-Works. The MPs I've run for many miles (3000+), ridden crits on them, etc. Very very durable and plenty light. The S-Works I only have a few hundred miles on, so no verdict there yet.

To me, all clinchers FEEL pretty much the same, including the Vittoria Open CXs I had last year.

Weisse Luft said:
GP Supersonics feel EXACTLY like the best tubulars and I get well over 1000 miles out of them, barring road hazards. The first set I used were worn out, front and rear, at 2400 miles and I was very lucky to avoid all road hazards but my second set only lasted 1300 miles on the rear, front is still fine.

I replaced these with GP3000's and the feel is so "clincher".

Spot on, the fastest clichers you can buy .... BUT, light and fragile and when they do get cut it usually means throwaway. For anyone who has ridden tubulars these are are close as you can get.

Pro Races for me. I can wear these to the casing whereas my continentals were full of cuts and damage within 1000 miles. Conti's also gave me the sensation I was riding on an underinflated tube.

ok, can i go one better guys and throw in this question;

best all round training clincher for value, durabilty and ability to be ridden sweetly in ALL conditions as well as looking the goods. Am i asking too much, does one exist???

Then my friend, the answer is already in this thread. Vittoria Rubinho, or Rubinho Pro. :D

Excellent ride for very little money.

Aztec said:

I ride Specialized Mondo Pro and S-Works. The MPs I've run for many miles (3000+), ridden crits on them, etc. Very very durable and plenty light. The S-Works I only have a few hundred miles on, so no verdict there yet.

To me, all clinchers FEEL pretty much the same, including the Vittoria Open CXs I had last year.

I too have had good luck with the Specialized Mondo Pro, very few flats in spite of pretty terrible roads. It seems to me that most lightweight slicks are pretty worn out on the rear wheel after about 3000 miles (5000 KM) - at least on the rough roads that I am riding. I have a pair with about 2200 miles and I will be getting a new rear tire at the start of next season. The front tire looks like it may be good for a second season, but Sheldon Brown recommends against letting the front tire get worn out. His reasoning is that a front blowout is far more dangerous than a rear blow out. So if the front tire is still in good shape next spring, I may move the front tire to the back and put the new one on the front.

Best rolling and ride quality??

Veloflex Record Open Tubular ... Absolutely fantastic !!

Best All round tyres ??

Maxxis Xenith Equipe Legere.

227km and the molding seams are still on rear tyres. Pumps up to 130psi, and still feels nice and soft. Grippy too !!
;)

Vredstein Tri Comps

I ride a CAAD3 Dale which is supposed to be harsh but with these bays on its like riding on Butter.

I also am a fan of the Conti GP3000 but the Vredsteins are 40% cheaper here in good ole Canada.

Can't beat that with a stick if ya know what I mean

My Michelin Hi-Lite Prestiges are just about at then end of the road. They're not the most responsive tires out there, but I've gone 3000 miles without a single puncture. The softer rubber on the corners gets nicked up a bit by stones, but it makes them grip like crazy on fast turns.

Aztec said:

Aztec: I've had the same experience with the Pro Races; they cut very easily on me. I've had great results with Conti GP 3000...only one pinch flat on the road in 5000 miles, and that didn't damage the tire at all. At 100 psi front, 105-110 rear, the ride and handling are great. The rears seem to last 2500-2800 miles.

I'm a cheapskate at heart, but believe I get my $50 worth from these tires.