Best clothes for a tri

Curt

Guest
Hi, I plan on doing my first Tri this spring/summer and wanted to know what the best clothes to buy
are? I know I may need a wet suit. That could be a subject all its own. They are so expensive. What
if I don't need a wet suit or they are not used do to it being a warm place? What type of swim suit?
Are people wearing Speedo or are they wearing a spandex bike short? Sorry for my ignorance. I can't
seem to find a good link for these questions. I even went to the library and the information was
pretty limited. Could someone send a link or give me an idea on what to buy as for as clothes needed
for each stage and best for transition? I am comfortable wearing anything due to me not caring about
walking around nude. It means nothing to me.

Oh yeah, I plan on doing a Sprint and an Olympic to start and get the feel of all this. If I like
it, I tend to get pretty into things, so I can see me going all the way to an Iron, but first
thing is first.

Thanks for any advise. Curt

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi, I plan on doing my first Tri this spring/summer and wanted to know what the best clothes to
> buy are? I know I may need a wet suit. That could be a subject all its own. They are so expensive.
> What if I don't need a wet suit or they are not used do to it being a warm place? What type of
> swim suit? Are people wearing Speedo or are they wearing a spandex bike short? Sorry for my
> ignorance. I can't seem to find a good link for these questions. I even went to the library and
> the information was pretty limited. Could someone send a link or give me an idea on what to buy as
> for as clothes needed for each stage and best for transition? I am comfortable wearing anything
> due to me not caring about walking around nude. It means nothing to me.
>
> Oh yeah, I plan on doing a Sprint and an Olympic to start and get the feel of all this. If I like
> it, I tend to get pretty into things, so I can see me going all the way to an Iron, but first
> thing is first.
>
> Thanks for any advise. Curt

I went to Trinewbies.com and was surprised not to find an article on the topic. Speedo and Desoto
sport both make tri-sepcific apparel. To answer your speedo vs. bike short question, the real answer
is most aren't wearing either. They are wearing a tri brief that looks like a speedo, but has a thin
bike pad sewn in, or they are wearing tri shorts that look like bike shorts, but have a thinner pad
made of a quick drying material. Some folks also choose to use an unpadded short or breif and put
extra padding on the bike seat.

For links to various tri gear sellers, see:

http://trinewbies.com/2Links.htm

BTW, since you seem to enjoy the opportunity to tell the world you don't mind being nude, keep in
mind that changing clothes in the transition area or out in the open will get you DQed in most
races, particularly in the US.

Tom

"Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Hi, I plan on doing my first Tri this spring/summer and wanted to know what the best clothes to
> > buy are? I know I may need a wet suit. That could be a subject all its own. They are so
> > expensive. What if I don't need a wet suit or they are not used do to it being a warm place?
> > What type of swim suit? Are people wearing Speedo or are they wearing a spandex bike short?
> > Sorry for my ignorance. I can't seem to find a good link for these questions. I even went to the
> > library and the information was pretty limited. Could someone send a link or give me an idea on
> > what to buy as for as clothes needed for each stage and best for transition? I am comfortable
> > wearing anything due to me not caring about walking around nude. It means nothing to me.
> >
> > Oh yeah, I plan on doing a Sprint and an Olympic to start and get the feel of all this. If I
> > like it, I tend to get pretty into things, so I can see me going all the way to an Iron, but
> > first thing is first.
> >
> > Thanks for any advise. Curt
> >

> I went to Trinewbies.com and was surprised not to find an article on the topic. Speedo and Desoto
> sport both make tri-sepcific apparel. To answer your speedo vs. bike short question, the real
> answer is most aren't wearing either. They are wearing a tri brief that looks like a speedo, but
> has a thin bike pad sewn in, or they are wearing tri shorts that look like bike shorts, but have a
> thinner pad made of a quick drying material. Some folks also choose to use an unpadded short or
> breif and put extra padding on the bike seat.
>
> For links to various tri gear sellers, see:
>
> http://trinewbies.com/2Links.htm
>
> BTW, since you seem to enjoy the opportunity to tell the world you don't mind being nude, keep in
> mind that changing clothes in the transition area or out in the open will get you DQed in most
> races, particularly in the US.
>

> Tom

Thanks Tom for the link and information. Looks like either the tri short or brief would be good. Got
to keep the prices down, but quality up somehow. Just have to look for sales and such. That link
will sure be a help! I don't know of may stores at all.

Enjoy telling the world I don't mind being nude. I guess I do enjoy that and throw in my opinion on
how silly the US is about such things (I'm from the US so relax). I couldn't help myself I guess. I
try to hold back, but it just comes out of my typing fingers.

Enjoy and thanks again for taking the time to help a newbie. Curt

No problem. Desoto. Great selection. Excellent quality. Good prices.
Customer service that can not be duplicated. Period.
http://www.desotosport.com/
news:[email protected]...