Best cold weather shoe covers??

KB

Guest
Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my Activa cold weather
booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out there that stands
above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly thick/bulky, and are
easy to get on over the shoes??
Thanks!

> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
> available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my Activa cold

weather
> booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out there that

stands
> above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly thick/bulky,

and are
> easy to get on over the shoes??

I like Shimano half covers, they give protection where you need it
(toes and top of foot):
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Socks&ModelID=3229

"KB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
> available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my Activa cold

weather
> booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out there that

stands
> above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly thick/bulky,

and are
> easy to get on over the shoes??
> Thanks!

"KB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
> available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my Activa cold weather
> booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out there that stands
> above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly thick/bulky, and are
> easy to get on over the shoes??

I've never like neoprene covers, they're not warm enough for all their bulk
and are a pain to get on/off. Lycra covers just don't provide enough warmth. I
wound up making my own, 2-part system. I have thick polar fleece toe covers
worn under lycra stretch full booties. I made my own since I have size 52
shoes and a sewing machine, but if you have normal feet, you might be able to
do the same thing by cutting up a pair of thick wool socks and using an
off-the shelf, slightly larger pair of stretch booties. The other secret is to
have a pair of cold weather shoes a size or 2 larger than normal so you can
wear thick socks without hindering circulation. If they have mesh vents, cover
them with duct tape.

KB wrote:

> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
> available??

I've tried 1) quilted nylon & polyester: 80's - too hot above freezing,
2) Pearl Izumi's polyurethane coated lycra: really hard to get on and
off, doesn't breathe so your feet steam, and not the warmest,
3) neoprene toe caps (Quintana Roo? I think): good if not very cold, but
miserable on really cold days

....and have settled on 4) Windtex full-shoe covers. Much warmer than
the thin fabric would suggest on cold days, on warmer days the
breathability keeps them from being a foot sauna. Comfortable for a
very wide range of temps, in my experience.

Mine (Sidi-labelled, no idea who really makes 'em) have a lycra
attachment up the back, and no sole - they come on and off really easy.

Mark Janeba

Anyone try the PI Amphib booties? The look like they might be easier to get
on as the entire back opens from the side I think. Too bulky though?
I would buy one of the winter specific riding shoes offered by Northwave or
Gaerne, but my feet are pretty wacky and don't fit standard shoes well (use
r7's).