Best color/lens-tint eyewear for low light

Slider77

May 19, 2004
What is the best color/tint lens for road cycling in twilight/ low light level conditions?

Get a sunglass with interchangeable lenses. I'm using a set from Coyote (from Nashbar, and really cheap), with gray, orange, and clear lenses. The orange really improves contrast in overcast conditions, and the clear works fine on really gloomy, dark days. If I think conditions might change (like the sun coming out), I'll bring the lenses along, and change during the ride.

My problem has always been scratching my lenses despite meticulous care and storage in the sunglass case. I guess polycarbonate is simply not for me. Unless there's some crazy scratch-proof lens material out on the market now... anyone?

babybunny said:
My problem has always been scratching my lenses despite meticulous care and storage in the sunglass case. I guess polycarbonate is simply not for me. Unless there's some crazy scratch-proof lens material out on the market now... anyone?

Rudy Project have a lens replacement guarantee. Scratch a lens and they'll replace it for a handleing fee (probably covers the cost of the replacement lens) which is a lot less than the cost of buying a new les set.

I tried it. It works.

Slider77 said:
What is the best color/tint lens for road cycling in twilight/ low light level conditions?

Clear. Get a pair of safety glasses for $10 at your local engineering shop.

Isn't the Rudy Lens Guarantee only for current models?
From the Rudy website:
"The RLG covers all lens damage (e.g., scratching) from use or activity on lenses for products that are in the current year's Product Catalog."

Yellow. I'm always surprised when I wear yellow lenses near dusk, etc., because everything actually looks darker when I take them off.

get some oakley M frames and buy all the lenses you need. I have 3 different lenses for mine, depending on lighting. I have optic yellow for dusk (90% light transmission), persimmon for cloudy days (50%) and red iridum for sunny days (12%)

Slider77 said:

I used to do a lot of skiing and yellow was always the lens of choice in low light conditions. Now that I'm on a bicycle, I find that yellow still works the best.

Yellow is the recommended colour for improved vision when night driving, so I guess that makes it the best in low light conditions too.

mitosis said:
Clear. Get a pair of safety glasses for $10 at your local engineering shop.
Actually, I've found that safety glasses are great to ride in. I have a smoke coloured pair for sunny days, and a yellow pair for lowlight (both freebies! Thank heavens for Health and safety requirements!)

They're really good because they are built to keep dust etc out of your eyes while not limiting peripheral vision, and to be worn for a long time.

Because of this you'll generally find safety glasses:

1) Wrap very well around your face;
2) Do not limit your field of view; and
3) are generally are comfortable to wear for long periods.

But hey, it always comes down to personal preference, I guess.

I am now officially the third poster on this thread who also uses Saftey Glasses. :rolleyes: Got mine at Home Depot for $10. They do the job, wrap well and are very comfortable.