best computer with cadence

Segrott

Jan 5, 2004
I have just got a new bike and I am looking for a new computer for it. I want to get one that has a cadence sensor on it. So far I have looked at the Cateye Astral 8 and the Echowell F2. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Originally posted by Segrott
I have just got a new bike and I am looking for a new computer for it. I want to get one that has a cadence sensor on it. So far I have looked at the Cateye Astral 8 and the Echowell F2. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

The Sigma BC-1600 Computer will give you cadence as well. (Optional accessory part added to this unit).

Originally posted by Segrott

I just bought the Vetta V100HR with cadence...all wireless. Wireless cadence and wireless speed, plus heart rate monitor. I really like it and it works flawlessly. I bought it on ebay for $135...
Good Luck

I agree with the Vetta recommendation. However, I just sold mine on eBay. I currently use a HAC4 Ciclosport. Although my Cateye Astrale is still on the bike. Dollar for dollar, the Cateye is the best deal going for hard-wired cadence. It's kind of hard for any cadence computer to not be accurate. The magnet is right on the crank so there's not much to screw up.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think that I am going to go with the Sigma BC-1600. I can get it online for $54 (aud).

I have the Astrale and am happy with it (as pointed out above, not much can go particularly right or wrong with these things). Good luck with whichever.

Another vote for Vetta V100 series. I have the HR with wireless cadence added later - works great, very dependable...

I've got the wired Vetta V100 w/ cadence option. Been the most reliable computer I've had (on about my 6th).

I like the wires, no chance for interference. I do sometime have a hard time getting the computer to catch a signal, but once going, it is solid.

I am tempted by the Polar 720i. I want to know more about HR and altitude (because I am a geek). Thought about the HAC4, but heard there is no trend arrow for speed (and when I am alone, that is my friend).

I have three computers, an Astrale 8 ($39), the original Astrale (on sale for $19) and a Nashbar knock off ($19). They all have wired cadence and are all very trouble free.

I am now looking at the Specialized Turbo Comp for $99. It is wireless, altitude and has Avg cadence, which I would really benefit from I think. It seems like a great bargain.

I have the Astrale. For $19.99 at Performace with 20% off coupon, it's difficult to find a better value. I am using it since last November, it works really well. The new Astrale 8 has a larger, easier to use display but it is also bigger.

Hi Guys

I am really surprised nobody mentioned the Shimano Flight Deck. Been using mine now for a year with no hassles. Downside is that you must have Shimano shifters that are compatible. It calculates your cadence and there are no wires involved. Quite weird when you do not pedal it still shows the cadence. Added advantage is that on the tandem I now know in which gear I am. Very handy on tandems as you cannot see the cluster. Not sure though whether the Flight Deck will work on the new Shimano 10 Speed Dura Ace.

Keep those wheels spinning!!!

Big H

Originally posted by Randybaker99
I have three computers, an Astrale 8 ($39), the original Astrale (on sale for $19) and a Nashbar knock off ($19). They all have wired cadence and are all very trouble free.

I am now looking at the Specialized Turbo Comp for $99. It is wireless, altitude and has Avg cadence, which I would really benefit from I think. It seems like a great bargain.

Correction:

It is the Specialized Turbo Pro that I am looking at, rather than the Turbo Comp. Apparently the Pro is not available right now as they were having problems with the altitude feature not being accurate. I think it is scheduled for rerelease in May...

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=6820&JServSessionIdroot=x5ujrp1nvt.j27008

Originally posted by Randybaker99
Correction:

It is the Specialized Turbo Pro that I am looking at, rather than the Turbo Comp. Apparently the Pro is not available right now as they were having problems with the altitude feature not being accurate. I think it is scheduled for rerelease in May...

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=6820&JServSessionIdroot=x5ujrp1nvt.j27008

I have the Speed Zone Elite http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=5106&JServSessionIdroot=hefqs0068o.j27004. My favourite feature is the analogue speedometer-style display with an average and max speed indicator. this means you can dispaly the cadence and speed at the same time.

It has it's weaknesses though: - no quick release and a flimsy clamp and the backlight isn't that great. Oh and the altimeter is all over the place I had thought that was to do with changing atmospheric pressure until I read your post.

I have the Astrale. For $19.99 at Performace with 20% off coupon,

I am in Australia, we pay about $90 local dollars for these here.

Can you guys in the US post a couple of contacts where they can be bought for US$20 ($30 AUD) pus post please.

I use a Sigma for indoor training at my local gym , it is difficult to read and the cadence display is not available on the larger digits.

cheers
George

Originally posted by gclark8
I am in Australia, we pay about $90 local dollars for these here.

Can you guys in the US post a couple of contacts where they can be bought for US$20 ($30 AUD) pus post please.

I use a Sigma for indoor training at my local gym , it is difficult to read and the cadence display is not available on the larger digits.

cheers
George

Go to eBay and search for "astrale". Many for sale, most new. Here is one seller that claims to ship worldwide:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30108&item=3672064761&rd=1

Good luck!

Thank You for the help. Yes there are several there. I will e-mail a couple for a quote on the postage to Australia.

cheers
George

I just recently bought a new Flight Deck computer. Do you know of how I can be in either stop watch mode or trip time mode and display cadence?

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring some of this thing out.

Sorry, no Flight Deck experience.

Anynone else kind of jazzed about the new CatEye? The double wireless unit with a unified, single speed/cadence sensor, and the nifty color-blocked display?

I think I'll be getting one. The Mavic WinTech looks nice as well -- the integrated skewer/sensor is a stroke of genius -- but I love the idea of one wireless unit for cadence and speed.

Originally posted by lokstah
Sorry, no Flight Deck experience.

Anynone else kind of jazzed about the new CatEye? The double wireless unit with a unified, single speed/cadence sensor, and the nifty color-blocked display?

I think I'll be getting one. The Mavic WinTech looks nice as well -- the integrated skewer/sensor is a stroke of genius -- but I love the idea of one wireless unit for cadence and speed.

The cateye does look cool (model is CC-CD300DW) but it doesn't look like it is available in the US yet. Based on the UK prices, I expect it will go for $200USD - a bit steep. Function-wise I like the Avg Cadence, backlight and the lap functions, but I really want something with reliable altitude and grade info... I don't know why, really, just cuz. Nifty graphs would be good too.

The search continues...