Best Cookies Ever!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by JeanineAlyse, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. JeanineAlyse

    JeanineAlyse Guest

    I know most cookie makers have a chocolate chip recipe they stand by,
    just as I thought I did. But Christmas this year at my daughter's
    found me not only doubting my own recipe, but forever replacing it with
    hers. Much like I used to be with the tired and trues, she measures
    nothing, she pretty much just cooks by any combination of memory, feel,
    smell, looks and taste. I told her I had to have that cookie recipe.
    She and granddaughter began to laugh with tell of the story that g-g
    has spent the last three years watching her mother closely as she makes
    them, so as to take note of what she imagines the specific ingredient
    amounts are. Today she sent me the recipe, with assurance by both of
    them that this will do. For very moist and slightly "coconutty"
    chocolate chip cookies ever, the recipe is pasted exactly as written:

    My Mom's Cookies
    8 min. @ 375°

    In one bowl, mix:
    ¾ c. white sugar
    ¾ c. brown sugar
    1 c. butter
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    2 egg yolks
    1-2 spoonfuls of Mott's applesauce
    Mix
    Fold in whipped egg whites

    In separate bowl:
    2 ¼ c. (+ a little more to texture) flour
    1 tsp. Salt
    1tsp. Baking powder
    1 tsp. Cinnamon (more if desired)
    Mix
    Add in ¾ c. coconut
    1 ¼ c. quick oats
    1 ¾ c. (+ more if desired) chocolate chips
    Mix all together and add flour if not the right texture. We don't know
    how many this makes, it's enough for our family, but you can always
    freeze some of the batter.
    Love, Tiara
    -----------------------------------
    Wow, these are good!
    PickyShares

    Tags:

  2. On 29 Dec 2005 21:00:48 -0800, "JeanineAlyse" <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    <snip>

    > For very moist and slightly "coconutty"
    >chocolate chip cookies ever, the recipe is pasted exactly as written:

    And that's the problem I'm posting about. I will here reproduce what
    the post looks like in my newsreader (Forte Agent; commonly used):
    (except that I've added double quotes on some lines)
    My Mom's Cookies
    "8 min. @ 375=B0"

    In one bowl, mix:
    "=BE c. white sugar"
    "=BE c. brown sugar"

    1 c. butter
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    2 egg yolks
    1-2 spoonfuls of Mott's applesauce
    Mix
    Fold in whipped egg whites

    In separate bowl:
    "2 =BC c. (+ a little more to texture) flour"
    1 tsp. Salt
    1tsp. Baking powder
    1 tsp. Cinnamon (more if desired)
    Mix
    "Add in =BE c. coconut"
    "1 =BC c. quick oats"
    "1 =BE c. (+ more if desired) chocolate chips"
    Mix all together and add flour if not the right texture. We don't
    know
    how many this makes, it's enough for our family, but you can always
    freeze some of the batter.
    Love, Tiara

    The following is how it looks when my newsreader quotes it:
    Observe what happens with the degree symbol and the fraction symbols.
    My point is: the degrees symbol and the fraction symbols are special
    characters and most Usenet newsreaders won't reproduce them.

    So, please--when you (generic 'you') paste in something which has
    those symbols, convert them. Change the degrees symbol to "degrees";
    change the fraction symbols to 1/4, 1/2, etc--basically, if it isn't
    on your computer's keyboard, replace it.

    Thank you--and thank you for the recipe, which looks very good.

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  3. JeanineAlyse

    JeanineAlyse Guest

    Denny Wheeler wrote with PickyAdvise:
    > And that's the problem I'm posting about. I will here reproduce what
    > the post looks like in my newsreader (Forte Agent; commonly used):
    > (except that I've added double quotes on some lines)
    > The following is how it looks when my newsreader quotes it:
    > Observe what happens with the degree symbol and the fraction symbols.
    > My point is: the degrees symbol and the fraction symbols are special
    > characters and most Usenet newsreaders won't reproduce them.
    >
    > So, please--when you (generic 'you') paste in something which has
    > those symbols, convert them. Change the degrees symbol to "degrees";
    > change the fraction symbols to 1/4, 1/2, etc--basically, if it isn't
    > on your computer's keyboard, replace it.
    >
    > Thank you--and thank you for the recipe, which looks very good.
    > "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    (Love that quote I too often resemble!)

    Denny, I very much appreciate your explanation and fix-advise, which
    I'll certainly remember for any future paste. I am not as
    knowledgeable as I intend to become when entering usenet or when using
    my laptop, so thank you for such a gentle tell!

    PickyFiles

  4. On 30 Dec 2005 12:15:42 -0800, "JeanineAlyse" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    >(Love that quote I too often resemble!)

    Over the Hedge is a funny comic--but that's just a great line.

    >Denny, I very much appreciate your explanation and fix-advise, which
    >I'll certainly remember for any future paste. I am not as
    >knowledgeable as I intend to become when entering usenet or when using
    >my laptop, so thank you for such a gentle tell!

    You're most welcome. I wish I knew why my newsreader chokes on the
    special characters in 'reading' but is okay with them in
    'replying'--so I've asked about it in the group dedicated to said
    program.